The Cousins Plan

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If you want to get to the top 2 it will likely cost you a 2019 1st as well.  After that I honestly don't think it will and part of why it won't is the Bills will have no competition who can match us. Future 1sts are discounted in the trade formula.  Another team offering a 2017 1st, a 2018 1st and a 2019 1st in value terms is not offering more than the Bills saying "here have two fully valued 1st rounders this year." So I don't see who outbids us to move up.  A team like the Colts who have a lot of needs and want to rebuild fast are much more likely to bite on two first rounders in 2017 than three spread over the next three years.  

The trade up option would give you more flexibility in how you build going forward, is more achievable in resource terms than signing Cousins and is a better strategy given THIS draft and THIS pool of FA players in my opinion.  I don't hate the Cousins idea but it is clearly not my number 1 option.  

I think you're mistaken, but Time will Tell.

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

We'd need a massive backloaded poison pill contract with huge guaranteed money to get him.

He's going to get big guaranteed money wherever he goes.  That's almost certainly one thing he wants.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Except we only have $31mil in cap space, and need to sign Gaines and a couple others 

Even if we cut tyrod, that puts us at what? $40mil?

We'd need a massive backloaded poison pill contract with huge guaranteed money to get him.

Someone here a few days ago said he went to some website where you can do your own modeling, using all the actual contract data and showed there's room to do it.  

I really don't think money would keep the deal from getting done.  The Bills can find the way to pay what it takes to get him if they want him.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/kirk-cousins-and-maybe-redskins-fans-its-time-trust-process%3famp

"I walk away saying, ‘I’m getting better, I’m doing really good things, I’m about the process, and my process was really good today. I can’t control the outcome but the process was really good.

Shaw66 you inspired me to search Kirk Cousins and process in Google. Tyrod never talked like that. I'm $old.

Edited by Lfod

18 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I'm not sure he would get $34 million on the open market, so I'm not sure a team would make the trade for him if the Redskins (unwisely) chose to tag him again. 

He would get More than $34 million in a signing bonus if we was FA or was traded .... Again he is better than most of the secondary QB's available in this draft. He is a better than average known commodity at QB

5 minutes ago, Lfod said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/kirk-cousins-and-maybe-redskins-fans-its-time-trust-process%3famp

Shaw66 you inspired me to search Kirk Cousins and process in Google. Tyrod never talked like that. I'm $old.

Sean-Kirk McCousins? 

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

He would get More than $34 million in a signing bonus if we was FA or was traded .... Again he is better than most of the secondary QB's available in this draft. He is a better than average known commodity at QB

I get that, but I've seen no indication that the Redskins are going to tag him. 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

13 minutes ago, dneveu said:

His guaranteed salary will be very high no matter what, and the average will be around 30 million.

Then it becmoes a more difficult deal to sign and trade or even want ot franchise..... I doubt any team pays Cousing $30 mil a season...

here are the top QBs before last season... I think he will fall in the range of the top 5.. Which is still spendy but going rate

TJoe Flacco, Baltimore, $24.55 million
Carson Palmer, Arizona, $24.125 million
Kirk Cousins, Washington, $23.943 million
Matt Ryan, Atlanta, $23.75 million
Matthew Stafford, Detroit, $22 million
Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay, $20.3 million
Cam Newton, Carolina, $20.166 million
Philip Rivers, Los Angeles Chargers, $20 million
Eli Manning, N.Y. Giants, $19.7 million
Andrew Luck, Indianapolis, $19.4 million
Drew Brees, New Orleans, $19 million
Russell Wilson, Seattle, $18.8 million
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh, $18.2 million

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
12 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Except we only have $31mil in cap space, and need to sign Gaines and a couple others 

Even if we cut tyrod, that puts us at what? $40mil?

If the Bills are serious about getting Cousins, they are not going to let a contract for E.J. Gaines or any other of our impending free agents get in the way.  If they were to sign Cousins, I would be fine with letting Gaines walk and going CB early again.  Maybe Jackson at 21 or 22.

4 minutes ago, Lfod said:

Thanks.  I hadn't seen that.  I read a different, longer article about him that convinced me of the same things. 

People really should read this article, or find other like it, and you'll see what we're talking about.   This guy's view about the game is EXACTLY like McD's.  

The guy has an office, a little cubby hole, at the Redskins training facility where he can keep his notebooks and computer and study during his free time.  

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I get that, but I've seen no indication that the Redskins are going to tag him. 

they don't have any choice. You can not leave a valuable asset like Cousins walk for nothing... They at the very minimum need to work out a sign and trade deal even if its just for a 2nd rd pick do to costs

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Or they get stuck with a $34 million QB they don't want.

I've seen no indication that Wa doesn't want him.  Even if they don't they are not going to just walk away they'll tag him and then at the last possible minute if no one steps up then maybe they let him walk but its not happening on day 1 of FA. They will play their cards till the very end IMO....

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks.  I hadn't seen that.  I read a different, longer article about him that convinced me of the same things. 

People really should read this article, or find other like it, and you'll see what we're talking about.   This guy's view about the game is EXACTLY like McD's.  

The guy has an office, a little cubby hole, at the Redskins training facility where he can keep his notebooks and computer and study during his free time.  

Truthfully I really never looked into him. I saw you saying he was a process guy. Out of curiosity I figured I'd ask Google and that popped up. 

I'm definitely sold after reading that. You adding in more about him having a desk puts even more emphasis. I would have to agree with you. He sounds like a guy that would fit right in.

I'm late to the party but count me in as being on board.

Edited by Lfod

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Cousins will at least be tagged by Wa so we will have to give up some picks no matter what..

They've already done it twice - they really can't afford to do it again (the price goes up every time you do it to the same playet), and are generally not expected to.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BobChalmers said:

They've already done it twice - they really can't afford to do it again (the price goes up every time you do it to the same playet), and are generally not expected to.

they'll do it again before they let him walk for nothing is what I've been saying. No way any team in th eNFL lets a valuable asset like a top 10 QB just walk without doing whatever you can to get some compensation. Maybe it backfires but Wa can tag , sign ,and trade for less than the 2 1sts if they just tag him and someone signs him.

14 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Then it becmoes a more difficult deal to sign and trade or even want ot franchise..... I doubt any team pays Cousing $30 mil a season...

$30M would be worth it.  I'd have the Bills do it in a heartbeat.  Those prices you listed aren't going down in the future - bringing in a top 10-ish sort of guy for 5 years @$30M per would be a steal - and having ALL the draft picks available to build around him MUCH better than trading up for a rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BobChalmers said:

$30M would be worth it.  I'd have the Bills do it in a heartbeat.  Those prices you listed aren't going down in the future - bringing in a top 10-ish sort of guy for 5 years @$30M per would be a steal - and having ALL the draft picks available to build around him MUCH better than trading up for a rookie.

No they aren't going down unless reveneues go down conisderably...   But I still think Cousins would do less than $30 mil per season on a longterm deal with guarentees.

34 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm on board.   

I think many people are missing what a good fit Cousins is for McDermott's philosophy.   I think the OP hits the nail on the head - if the Bills are drafting a QB, they're looking for a guy like Cousins.

Why would Cousins sign with Buffalo?  Because HE sees what a good fit he is for the McD's philosophy.   They mesh perfectly. 

You don't think the Bills would spend the money?   Why not?   Because they haven't in the past?   Well, too things about that:  1.  By the past, you mean under Mr. Wilson.  The Pegulas have had NO PROBLEM spending money, on the stadium, on head coaches, on whatever they think is necessary.   And 2. they spent the money to get Mario Williams.   Didn't work out so well, but the organization, under Mr. Wilson spent the money when they thought it was the right thing to do.   If McDermott is sold on the guy, money is not going to be a problem.  

Fair enough points.

I've read a ton on cousins, I totally get your point.

I still don't see us ahead of Dever or AZ, but let's stop arguing about that.

I'd be happy with him.

I just don't want to put all our eggs into his basket as there's a very real chance we don't get him, even if it's equal between us, AZ and Denver that's a 1/3 shot

IMO.

If they get KC signed on at least a 3-5 year contract if I was GM I would then grab a QB with the second 2nd round pick. Hopefully Rudolph would be the guy still there otherwise I would grab next man up but do not wait grab the guy ASAP in rd2 and don't look back. Waiting for gold to be there later is what got Whaley in trouble many times(QB purgatory) so even the first 2nd round pick might be a better shot at one do it, feel the draft out.

Now if they do not get KC I would trade the farm to move up and grab one of the top QB prospects from this draft. Getting Smith would be ok but it would only be for one year so we need a top QB prospect ready by year 2 or as old as Smith is could be year 1 so moving up in this draft would be essential for longevity. JMO on it all.

Edited by xRUSHx