Drew still billieves

Hawk

He is very good throwing the long ball the two times a game coaches might call it. Too bad he can't throw a 10-yard out to save his arse. If you want to go long every play, Drew's your guy, but you're not often going to win like that.

Parcells has lost it in trying to relive the past.

He was very good throwing the long ball the two times a game coaches might call it. Too bad he can't throw a 10-yard out to save his arse. If someone wants to go long every play, Drew's the guy, but you're not often going to win like that.

Parcells has lost it in trying to relive the past.

269189[/snapback]

He's desperately bringing in has beens to try to save his reputation.

It's pretty clear that he rode Belichek and his staff for many years.

269192[/snapback]

if parcells is such a joke, how did he have the foresight to hire belichick numerous times? putting together a staff is possibly the most important task a head coach faces. as for him having lost his reputation, the last time i checked, the cowboys won 10 games and made the playoffs a year ago despite having an arena league-level qb (quincy carter). and the last time i checked, the most recent time the bills performed such a feat was in the last millennium.

Many folks seem to insist on judging Bledsoe by a standard which has only two choices. Either he can do everything or alternatively he can do nothing. Clearly he can't do everything therefore the only remaining choice is to insist that he has nothing to offer whatsoever.

However, though there seems to be relatively little we can be sure of in this world, I think we can be sure that both of these extreme views are flat out wrong.

I think TD was correct in the final view he took toward Bledsoe as a Bill. He ain't the team's QB of the future and in fact it is pretty doubtful he is even a QB for the present for the Bills. He had his shot to make the playoffs with the team last year and in fact to make plays which would carry the team to the playoffs in the game against Pittsburgh where our main method for winning we used during the winning streak simply gave up the ghost. Both the D and the ST played miserably rather than turning in the outstanding performances we had seen from them for the most part during the winning streak and given this unfortunate production outage, Bledsoe simply proved incapable of taking a poor performing team on his shoulders and provide the difference to give us victory (it seems odd to this non-football professional that it came to this because I could have and did say on TSW that after the Bledsoe debacle season of 2003 he was not the starter for the Bills).

It is still 50/50 at best that Losman is the QB of the present as this youngster almost certainly needs to go through the slings and arrows of development, however, even this 50/50 offers a better chance for the Bills riding to victory with JP starting than oer-relying on Bledsoe.

However, this conclusion is way different than claiming Bledsoe has nothing left, is a statue, can only throw the ball 75 yards twice a game or any of the other barbs folks throw his way, which strike me as foolish and having little to do with real football assessment.

I think where TD was right this off-season was to really want Bledsoe as a #2 QB (and to require that if he wanted to remain a Bill he take a cap hit consistent with that position). I'm pleased as punch that we now have Holcomb as our #2 because he has shown some good production in this role, is saying all the right things in terms of putting a damper on any QB controversy (though all it will take is the likely JP debacle which happens to all QBs young and old at some point (except maybe Joe Montana) and will certainly happen to JP at some point in '05), is an older hand who should be able to school JP in his development, and most important for the Bills success has agreed to a salary which will help us address our other critical needs.

However, I certainly feel that as much as I like Holcomb as our #2 that Bledsoe would have been even a better choice as #2 IF he was willing to take a paycut. I think the real deal here is that Bledsoe (because he was forced to do it by Lewis' hit and Brady's play) did everything you want a #2 to do in 2002:

1). He developed a great relationship with Brady and could stand on the sidelines and watch the game with his 10 or so years of experience and talk to Brady when he came to the sidelines and work with the youngster as only another playing QB can do to point out things for him to see and do. Bledsoe himself has proved incapable of doing the right thing consistently under pressure and QB in the NFL is complex enough that it is the rare player who can usually both see and do the right thing with a 250 lb. behemoth trying to rip your head off while you work. However, as overly complext as the NFL is, playing QB is not brain surgery (as the brilliant Jim kelly demonstrated with his great production on the field while clearly being an enchilada short of a good combo platter off the field). Bledsoe has been around enough to see lots of stuff and in 2002 demonstrated a great ability with brady to download his knowledge effectively even though he showed difficulty translating this knowledge into good play himself when you gave him the ball.

2). He pulled off the ultimate job for the #2 which was to step into a must-win game when Brady was injured and play the majority of the game to a victory and even throw the winning pass. His average at best play this game and his numbers clearly indicate he is not the starter, but the #2 is not the starter and he did exactly what the #2 QB should do which was to play QB in the majority of a must-win game to a win. Even better, rather than being a cancer as many athletes would he accepted the correct judgement of BB amd sat bacl amd turned the reins back over to Brady for the SB game without much or any hint of a fit. He also accepted the correct judgment of BB/Kraft and the crew that it was the right thing to do to trade him and stick with Brady as the NE QB of thefuture.

3. He demonstrated that he had something left by having a 2003 season that merited his 2002 reserve Pro Bowl nod for the Bills (if yiou disagree fine but we would love to hear the specific player (or players if you dub Bledsoe a stiff) you think deserved it more. He showed with his production issues as the season wore on and by his horrible 2003 season that he is clearly not a team's QB of the future, but he also showed last year through some good use by MM/TC of his remaining talents (he even ran the draw and pulled of some great fakes and flea flickers) that he can still play the game. However, he showed in the Pitts game that though he can be an acceptable QB on a team with dominant D and ST play all the time and I think can be counted on to be the #2 he clearly is not the future, and probably not the present, but there are good roles he can play as a QB.

I think the question is whether Bledsoe can play on a successful Dallas team next year, not whether he is still a stud QB. He ain't (if he ever was) a stud QB, but I think that if only because the NFC Central (or whatever they are called now) was so bad, the Boys do have a reasonable shot at making the playoffs next year. The keys in my mind are:

1. The opposing teams in the division produce like they did last year-

Certainly possible as from what I see even a leading light like Joe Gibbs is still flailing with his team.

2. He gets a WM like running game out of his youg RB-

Certainly possible given his performance once he recovered from injury.

3. He gets a solid D performance out of the Boys-

I did not watch them closely enough to say for sure, but I doubt that Drew Henson and the O were responsible for what little they did well last year. i doubt Bledsoe will lead the O to great production, but a quality HC like Parcells knows that the key here is to make Bledsoe "throw the damn ball" as he got Bledsoe to do when he played QB to an SB for Parcells with NE.

4. He gets the reserves and judiciious use of starters on ST to get production out of this unit-

Getting production from marginal players has been what Parcells has been all about in his successful career.

Willl the Boyus and Bledsoe win the SB? I really doubt it and think folks can pretty comfortably bet against it if you find any takers. However, will Bledsoe lead the Boys to the playoffs and be designated once again as Comeback Player of the year (likely cinching his presecence in the HOF if he does so)? I wouldn't bet on it, but i wouldn't bet against it either.

"My skills are about the same as they were when I was with Bill before," Bledsoe said. "I can't throw it 80 yards anymore … but I can throw it 78."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8261963

269162[/snapback]

And that is why Bledsoe never progressed as a quarterback (and was ultimately unsuccessful with us). It takes more than just throwing the ball deep to be successful QB. If doesn't know that now, he never will.

if parcells is such a joke, how did he have the foresight to hire belichick numerous times? putting together a staff is possibly the most important task a head coach faces.  as for him having lost his reputation, the last time i checked, the cowboys won 10 games and made the playoffs a year ago despite having an arena league-level qb (quincy carter). and the last time i checked, the most recent time the bills performed such a feat was in the last millennium.

269287[/snapback]

So if Parcells was such a smart guy- why did he run his playoff QB, Quincy Carter, out of town and replace him with the 42 year old Vinnie and bring in the broken down Eddie George for $3mil / yr and big name, no production Marcellus Wiley- has beens who led the Boys to a big 6 win season?

So if Parcells was such a smart guy- why did he run his playoff QB, Quincy Carter, out of town and replace him with the 42 year old Vinnie and bring in the broken down Eddie George for $3mil / yr and big name, no production Marcellus Wiley- has beens who led the Boys to a big 6 win season?

270519[/snapback]

Quincy Carter is a druggie and George was brought in to mentor the young stable of RBs, which all ended up getting hurt. Thus George started.

270519[/snapback]

he didn't want george - that was all jones. as for quincy carter, did you see any of his games in 2003? with a credible qb, that team would have won 12 games easily. he's absolutely terrible.

And that is why Bledsoe never progressed as a quarterback (and was ultimately unsuccessful with us).  It takes more than just throwing the ball deep to be successful QB.  If doesn't know that now, he never will.

269394[/snapback]

BINGO! That's why New England dumped him on Buffalo. They were frustrated that Drew wouldn't work in the off-season to improve other aspects of his game; he was stubborn and set in his ways. He wouldn't change his game to suit what the coaches wanted even if it was a short, conservative passing game.

There are alot of guys who can throw the deep ball. But doing it when you are being rushed and throwing it to the correct team is another story, isn't it? and what about sticking to a game plan. Or not zeroing in on the same receiver all the time?

269192[/snapback]

I think some of you haters are going to be disappointed to find out that Bledsoe is not nearly as washed up as you have convinced yourself he is...offensivelyl, he is stepping in to a very good situation in Dallas, playing for a coach, that wants him, as opposed to a coach that inherited him, like Mularkey...ultimately, it won't translate into a championship, but I think you will see Bledsoe putting up respectable stats, and maybe even hear whispers about "comeback player of the year." I hate the Cowboys as much as anyone (especially being stuck in the middle of Cowboy country), but Parcells is not the fool that many here are making him out to be either!

I think some of you haters are going to be disappointed to find out that Bledsoe is not nearly as washed up as you have convinced yourself he is...offensivelyl, he is stepping in to a very good situation in Dallas, playing for a coach, that wants him, as opposed to a coach that inherited him, like Mularkey...ultimately, it won't translate into a championship, but I think you will see Bledsoe putting up respectable stats, and maybe even hear whispers about "comeback player of the year."  I hate the Cowboys as much as anyone (especially being stuck in the middle of Cowboy country), but Parcells is not the fool that many here are making him out to be either!

270978[/snapback]

Bledsoe will do as he always does- play well for a few games against inferior defenses ( and there are more of those in the NFC).

But he will also meltdown at the worst time in the big games, especially on the road.

Gregg Williams will have a field day against Dallas.

Drew will do more than any other single factor to force Parcells into retirement.

Cause when he brought in Belichick, he still was a relative unknown, so was easy to keep him. Then BB gets a head coaching job in Cleveland, fails and is availabe again. There usually isn't a huge market for a guy who just failed.

Paresells was a good coach in the early years. But then his ego got bigger than his stomach and he wanted to play GM too. Ever since he started evaluating and signing players, he's done nothing. Yes he's had a couple good years here and there, but no consistency. It's not surprising that he's good friends with Bobbie Knight as they are two peas in a pod!

It wouldn't surprise me to in the latter years that he resented BB as he started getting to much press, but that's pure speculation.

if parcells is such a joke, how did he have the foresight to hire belichick numerous times? putting together a staff is possibly the most important task a head coach faces.  as for him having lost his reputation, the last time i checked, the cowboys won 10 games and made the playoffs a year ago despite having an arena league-level qb (quincy carter). and the last time i checked, the most recent time the bills performed such a feat was in the last millennium.

269287[/snapback]

I think some of you haters are going to be disappointed to find out that Bledsoe is not nearly as washed up as you have convinced yourself he is...offensivelyl, he is stepping in to a very good situation in Dallas, playing for a coach, that wants him, as opposed to a coach that inherited him, like Mularkey...ultimately, it won't translate into a championship, but I think you will see Bledsoe putting up respectable stats, and maybe even hear whispers about "comeback player of the year."  I hate the Cowboys as much as anyone (especially being stuck in the middle of Cowboy country), but Parcells is not the fool that many here are making him out to be either!

270978[/snapback]

"We just needed to make more plays."

Oh, sorry. I already posted this.

I did not read the whole article, but the quote reminds me of Travis Henry believing he is great because he can carry the rock. Like, hey dude, what about picking up a blitz now and then?

Huh? What's that got to do with being a RB?

Likewise, Drew thinks he is still a top QB because he can "throw the long ball". Big deal, man. How about being able to take a few steps to get out of the way of a charging defender?

Huh? What's that got to do with being a QB?

Travis and Drew are one-dimensional players, IMO. Let them play somewhere else, please.

I did not read the whole article, but the quote reminds me of Travis Henry believing he is great because he can carry the rock. Like, hey dude, what about picking up a blitz now and then?

Huh? What's that got to do with being a RB?

Likewise, Drew thinks he is still a top QB because he can "throw the long ball". Big deal, man. How about being able to take a few steps to get out of the way of a charging defender?

Huh? What's that got to do with being a QB?

Travis and Drew are one-dimensional players, IMO. Let them play somewhere else, please.

271342[/snapback]

Oh boy, let's take one sentance that DB said, possibly take it completely out of context, and continue to villify him! :blink:

CW

"i really have to take a look at the tape before i can answer that one."

as for easing up, i will ease up if bledsoe leads the cowboys to a world championship and beats the bills. If he doesn't do that, and especially if the bills have a better record than the cowboys next year, then i believe bledsoe showed that he is in complete denial.

Oh boy, let's take one sentance that DB said, possibly take it completely out of context, and continue to villify him!  :blink:

CW

271355[/snapback]

Hey Fez don't waste your time. All the classic haters took the bait on this thread and are firing the venom. Expect a minimum of 6 more months of this shiznat.

These boyz get their rocks off this way.

It's tiresome, but more predictable than a sunrise.