What type of razors do you use for shaving?

Another Fan

10 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Dollar Shave Club.  $9 for their "top of the line" razors shipped every other month   Dump the Gillette Sensor.  DSC is just as good at a fraction of the cost delivered automatically to your door. 

I do the $6 ones and they're just fine for me.   And, if I'm not mistaken, they send 5 cartridges/month.  I only shave every 2-3 days and sometimes sport a goatee.  So, over about a year, I stockpiled quite a few cartridges.

One can opt out with no penalty, then start up again whenever they choose.

Frequency can also be modified to every other month.

DSC is a great deal and a no brainer, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

For shaving  I use I use the 5 blase battery powered ones, think they are Gillette, and love em!

Medium beard, shave every day, blade lasts a good 3 weeks. Buy twenty of em at Costco once a year or so.I dunno know, maybe they re $50?

I don't use razors for anything else outside of shaving,  a razor blade knife i guess, I have no particular brand for that.

3 hours ago, Philly McButterpants said:

Been shaving my head for 10+ years.  Schick Hydro 5 blade.  NEVER Gillette products.

For 5-bladers it was the Schick Hydro over Gillette, a nice find after some frustration

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

Safety razor, good shave soap, badger hair brush, Personna Red Pack Israeli blades.

Never look back.

I've recently dialed the safety to the lowest level with very good results in all areas.

I also found the Braun 7 series worked great with me and I'm able to go to it when needed without any waiting period of adjustment, then go back.

I hop around by whim and quasi-boredom....

1 hour ago, ricojes said:

I did the same thing.  I didn't see the big difference I was expecting and it took much longer to shave.  I now go through Dorco, the blades are cheap and do a great job.  I think someone on here mentioned in a similar topic about Dorco being the company used in the dollar shave club (not sure if that is true though).  At any rate, I think they are great.

http://www.dorcousa.com/for-men/

Any blade head with a few blades should work just fine. The rest is advertising and hype. I use Harry's because I use Harry's. No better or worse than any of the others--just less expensive than the Mach 20s of the world. If HArry's went out of business tomorrow, 18 others could take their place in an instant. 

i think it's one of the machs, or something with 15 blades on it.  i have no idea.  i just buy them at bulk at bj's, and don't look back.  i think the bigger question is how often do you change the blade.  i then to hang onto a blade for almost 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

Safety razor, good shave soap, badger hair brush, Personna Red Pack Israeli blades.

Never look back.

You're a hipster, don't you have a shaped beard? :P

Just take the lube strip out of any razor... Or when it starts deteriorating, take it out then.  Keep the blade in mineral oil and they will last for years.  Problem solved.  

$3=year.

Think of all the creatures playing around the landfill next to your nasty razors. <_<

:lol:

18 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I can pretty safely say I think you're the only person to call me a hipster.

Boyst still thinks I'm 12 so no beard.

29 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Just take the lube strip out of any razor... Or when it starts deteriorating, take it out then.  Keep the blade in mineral oil and they will last for years.  Problem solved.  

$3=year.

Think of all the creatures playing around the landfill next to your nasty razors. <_<

I have a piggy bank that holds all the used razor blades.  many houses had slits in the bathroom wall to dispose of them, makes for some interesting finds when they tear down to redecorate.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

A "Christian College hipster."  LoL... Does that help. :P

Funny the misperceptions we have of people.

Just an age thing.

aiming for hipster youth pastor in skinny jeans?

wanting to be the main character in a babylonbee parody?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I have a piggy bank that holds all the used razor blades.  many houses had slits in the bathroom wall to dispose of them, makes for some interesting finds when they tear down to redecorate.

Love it!

Bathroom blows up while hunkering down during a tornado... Blades fly everywhere!

Ah... The good old days! :D

"The gift that keeps on giving!" 

41 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Recycling centers take steel, so my used razors go in a little blade bank I have and then when it's full I drop them at the center.

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

A "Christian College hipster."  LoL... Does that help. :P

Funny the misperceptions we have of people.

Just an age thing.

:lol: I think even the hipsters at Christian colleges have beards now, especially the Calvinists.  I guess you're shooting for BYU hipster, but they can't drink coffee or alcohol so I'm not sure that works.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, bills_fan said:

I taught myself how to shave with a stainless steel straight razor a while back.  Its awesome.  You cant get a better shave.  I use it every day.  The learning curve wasnt too bad either.

And you can whoop the children with the barber's belt when they start acting up... Or at least threaten to whoop them (like my grandfather would).

Fear of an azz-beating is a power tool!

Better than a snot-nosed child retorting: "Hey old man, how ya gonna beat me with that disposable Schick!"

7 minutes ago, bills_fan said:

I have a DOVO that I use everyday and a Boker that I received as a gift a few years ago that is kind of my backup razor. 

how often do you hone it?

i've thought of it but i'd hurt myself bad....

10 minutes ago, bills_fan said:

I send my main razor away once a year.  Thats why I have the backup razor.  I don't do it myself.  The advantage to Stainless is that the edge lasts longer.  I havent done the backup razor yet, still has the initial factory cut.

thanks, having not been raised in an ax or blade culture I don't have the know-how to properly keep it sharp