1-23: Beane, McDermott, and Daboll from the Senior Bowl

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If Tyrod is willing to halve his money again he will be here as the bridge next year.  They were not for bringing him back at the kind of money he will make this year last year.  They brought him back at $9m.  As for how hard it is to bring in someone better.... I was told last year Case Keenum was a wilful downgrade. He wasn't and he isn't.  

Problem is they're stuck with half his money on the cap whether he's here or not.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Plus I believe he and McDermott share the same agent so I don't feel good about the possibility of him being gone. I hope logic prevails and he they let Daboll form his own staff, with their input. Anyone with any moniker of football knowledge knows Castillo needs to go. So if he stays it will be a classic case of cronyism.  

Your point is valid and well made but, FWIW, moniker doesn't mean what you think it does.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GG said:

I can imagine he may be part of a deal that nabs Browns' #4 pick.  Tyrod would be a good short term option for them while the rookie aclimates.  

Right... ideally the Browns really do love Josh Allen as reported and then the Giants take Rosen (or no one...?) and Darnold ends up at 4.

I think the Browns would actually be smart to make that trade for Taylor because, by all reports, Allen needs time on the bench.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

If thinking TT is an inadequate qb makes one a troll, most posters on this board are trolls.  Such an overly broad definition begs the question and presumptively claims the opposite view is the only rational perspective that can be decently argued.

This^^^

I've noticed some of TT staunchest defenders are ones who seem to live a ways away from western New York. Hmmm, reading and hearing too much national hype it would seem. 

4 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

This^^^

I've noticed some of TT staunchest defenders are ones who seem to live a ways away from western New York. Hmmm, reading and hearing too much national hype it would seem. 

I live in Atlanta.  Distance from Western NY doesn't have to make you stupid^_^.

Sing this to the tune of "Benny and the Jets"

Cousins and the picks!

I sign Cousins and draft LBers or DT back to back in round 1. Just solved 2 enormous problems. Round 2 for WR and DB. Sign a decent veteran WR in FA.

Imagine drafting two Tre White caliber players back to back in round 1 and having them 5 years at good deals.

A MULTI-LAYERED QB LANDSCAPE IS CHALLENGE BEANE WELCOMES

beane-1-23-story.jpg

Bills GM Brandon Beane and his staff are beginning to enter the final phases of the evaluation of this year's quarterback prospects. That combined with what could be an interesting free agent class and a handful of other teams looking for the next franchise QB is a dynamic that Beane embraces.

21 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Cuz he's so good at getting defenders into the offensive backfield?

Hey, it's happened before! Check his coaching history with the Eagles.

Reid just decided one year to make his career offensive assistant who had never coached defense the DC. Shockingly, it didn't go well.

That's like making Leslie Frazier your OC

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Hey, it's happened before! Check his coaching history with the Eagles.

Reid just decided one year to make his career offensive assistant who had never coached defense the DC. Shockingly, it didn't go well.

That's like making Leslie Frazier your OC

I was more making a joke about how bad he was at coaching the offense but hey, who knows.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If Tyrod is willing to halve his money again he will be here as the bridge next year.  They were not for bringing him back at the kind of money he will make this year last year.  They brought him back at $9m.  As for how hard it is to bring in someone better.... I was told last year Case Keenum was a wilful downgrade. He wasn't and he isn't.  

...what exactly is he bridging, the River Kwai?......plenty of blame to be equally spread between Dennison & TT......BOTH were inconsistent as hell.......a passing game that could be "depended on (COUGH)" for 200 yds or less works?......sure as hell hoped and wanted the kid to succeed, but he just cannot process pre-snap reads, trust or spot his receivers, etc....you know the rest....rehash is a waste of time.......doing more with less to make the playoffs was a huge accomplishment, but I'm not buying he was significantly responsible for it nor does he warrant "bridge consideration".....

The guys are on the road at the 2018 Senior Bowl, and fresh after listening to both Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane talk -- all they're left pondering is about the idea of trading up to get in a position to take a young quarterback. 7ABC's Joe Buscaglia and Matthew Fairburn of NYUpstate.com discuss the ins and outs of trading up, and bring along a lot of different details to consider as we march toward the 2018 NFL Draft.

21 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

BRIAN DABOLL: "SCORE MORE POINTS" (10:01)
Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll addressed the media at the Senior Bowl in Mobile Alabama topics include; scoring as many points as you can, his offensive philosophy, and being able to coach for his hometown team.

1) No vote of confidence for Tyrod’s future employment
2) What the Bills look for this early in the draft in a QB
3) Trade-up talk
4) “We’re a long way from where we need to be”
5) Staff changes still could be coming

6) The Bills will be in on the compensatory picks in 2019
- For the first time since the subject was broached over and over again this year, Bills GM Brandon Beane finally admitted that he couldn’t do anything about getting the compensatory selections for Stephon Gilmore and Robert Woods in 2018 because “it was too far to do anything about it” when he walked in the door after the 2017 NFL Draft. But make no mistake — that will not be repeated by the Bills this offseason if Beane has any say about it. The Bills GM is a big believer in taking advantage of the compensatory picks when his team has a chance for them and admitted that they will be very cognizant of the moves they make with respect to that formula. That, along with Beane still being hesitant about their cap situation being where he wants it, leads me to believe that the Bills won’t be swinging big on free agency, and will likely sign players below the compensatory pick threshold.

7) In-house free agents have yet to be broached

11 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm very amused by the talk of what they're saying about Taylor as though it was unexpected.

Did anyone at all expect McDermott or Beane to say Taylor would absolutely be back in 2018 at QB?  They don't have to say anything... he's under contract.  They're going to do the smart thing and weigh all their options.  There may not have been a "vote of confidence for Tyrod's future employment" with the Bills, but at the same time McDermott provided very specific reasons as to why he might be back when he said "the work ethic and intangibles that Tyrod brings to the table are very much appreciated and a big part of how we did things this year and what we were able to do."  That combined with the fact that when asked at the end of the year PC about having a vet QB on the roster he said something about how there were several reasons (paraphrasing) he'd like a vet QB on the roster.  I have a sneaky suspicion that part of that is introducing our new rookie QB to a new and seemingly fairly unique (think "we're going to be built on love" if you remember that story) culture that McDermott is trying to build in Buffalo.

A lot can happen this offseason.  I think McBeane are gonna go hard after a QB in the 1st.  I really don't think they want to bring a vet QB in from the outside largely because of the cultural reasons I just mentioned.

It's gonna be a fun ride the next couple months!  :thumbsup: 

On 1/24/2018 at 8:25 AM, GunnerBill said:

Yea lots of people seem to think I am mad.... but I don't think the Giants as things currently stand are going to pick at Quarterback at #2.... would they swap with the Bills let the Bills take say Darnold and then select Jackson at #21?  Possible.  

Gettleman Likes Eli, Undecided on Drafting a QB

With the second overall pick in the draft, the Giants are expected by many to draft their QB of the future, likely choosing between Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen to inherit the throne from the 37-year-old Manning. Gettleman, however, cares not for outside prognostications.

"With the second pick, we're going to take the best player available," Gettleman said, adding, "If you take a guy just to take a guy especially at the quarterback position -- and he fails -- you set yourself back five years.

"There are teams in what I call quarterback hell. They got a quality defense, good special teams and they're going 7-9, 8-8, 9-7. ... Now if there is a legitimate [quarterback in the draft], they got to trade up [and] give away the farm to get the guy."

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Gettleman Likes Eli, Undecided on Drafting a QB

With the second overall pick in the draft, the Giants are expected by many to draft their QB of the future, likely choosing between Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen to inherit the throne from the 37-year-old Manning. Gettleman, however, cares not for outside prognostications.

"With the second pick, we're going to take the best player available," Gettleman said, adding, "If you take a guy just to take a guy especially at the quarterback position -- and he fails -- you set yourself back five years.

"There are teams in what I call quarterback hell. They got a quality defense, good special teams and they're going 7-9, 8-8, 9-7. ... Now if there is a legitimate [quarterback in the draft], they got to trade up [and] give away the farm to get the guy."

Sounds like a man saying "start the bidding please." As of TODAY the Giants are selling that pick.  Things can change of course.... but #2 is in play.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Sounds like a man saying "start the bidding please." As of TODAY the Giants are selling that pick.  Things can change of course.... but #2 is in play.  

I saw the same thing. Why can't Eli play another 3-4 years at his age? He hasn't really been injured. This season was more about losing all 3 WR in one game for the entire season and having a blithering idiot who lost the entire locker room as HC.

The Giants are loaded on offense, just need OL help. Getting a ton of picks, getting guys healthy, and getting better coaching should lead them right back to the top 6 of the NFC in 2018.

Edited by TheFunPolice