What Is Your Offseason Plan?

corta765

The off season is already here I don't care about the Super Bowl. So you are GM for the Buffalo Bills and we have the following holes and EJ Gaines, Kyle Williams, Lo Alexander, Preston Brown, & Jordan Matthews are notable free agents. Fill the holes either through the draft or FA:

Resign: Lo Alexander, Kyle Williams, & EJ Gaines. The vets on defense will all most likely do one or two year deals based off what I've read. I would pay to keep Gaines he did really well

Cut: Charles Clay, Preston Brown & Jordan Matthews. In my opinion Nick O'Leary is doing the same as Clay for far less and Logan Thomas has developed nicely so I'm cutting Clay for cap space. Preston only impressed me in 2014 and in retrospect that seems it was more the parts around him. Zay Jones was drafted to do what Matthews does.

Major Holes:

QB- Trade for Alex Smith with a Cordy Glenn and 4th rnd pick. I would draft Mayfield or Rudolph IF they are available at 21/22, but in my projection they are not though.

WR2- Sign Mike Wallace. He would be the deep threat the Bills need for speed with Benjamin the big target for anything and Zay in the slot.

RT- Draft Martinas Rankin with 22nd pick. Most mock drafts have him available and he will be a nice addition to the line.

DT- Sign Star Lotulelei. He knows McD's scheme and would be a nice presence there.

MLB- Draft either Raashad Evans (Bama) or Tremaine Edwards with 21st pick. The mock drafts I've seen don't have any of the major DT's like Vita or Hurst there but these LB are. Both are freaks athletically that fit the scheme.

CB2- Resigned EJ Gaines.

Small Depth Holes:

RB2- Draft Nick Chubb 3rd round. Guy has a lot of potential and could be the potential heir to the starting RB spot in a year or two.

WR4- Resign Deonte Thompson. I actually though he fit in the scheme quite well.

OL- Sign a RT like Eric Winston. Insulates the position a bit in case of injuries.

OLB- Sign Nigel Bradham. I never liked losing him in the first place and he would do will with McD. LoAlexander could swap in on pass rush situations.

DE- Sign Alex Okafor. I see him taking over DE2 spot ahead of Shaq Lawson and McD rotates anyway.

CB4- Resign Leonard Johnson

Roster would look like this:

Offense: QB Alex Smith RB Shady McCoy FB Pat DiMarco WR1 K.Benjamin WR2 Mike Wallace TE Nick O'Leary LT Dion Dawkins LG Richie Incognito C E.Wood RG John Miller RT M.Rankin

Defense: DE Jerry Hughes DT Star Lotulelei DT Kyle Williams DE Alex Okafor OLB N. Bradham MLB Edwards/Evans OLB Matt Milano CB Tre White CB EJ Gaines SS M Hyde FS Poyer

Edited by corta765

Looks pretty good.  I would keep Clay as I don't think we get much by cutting him.  He gets a ton of targets and is a good blocker.  I also think Daboll will want to run a lot of 12 sets (although the 21 set you show is close to a 12 set, just Clay is a better receiver than DiMarco).  If Chubb is available in the 3rd then yes please.

Pretty solid plan. I do think we will be active players in free agency this year and hope that Star Lotulelei is one of our signings.  I would prefer Sony Michel over Chubb but he will probably go in the early half of the second round. I'd be ok with Smith or another veteran place holder, as long as we draft the "future" QB and start developing him too.

9 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Pretty solid plan. I do think we will be active players in free agency this year and hope that Star Lotulelei is one of our signings.  I would prefer Sony Michel over Chubb but he will probably go in the early half of the second round. I'd be ok with Smith or another veteran place holder, as long as we draft the "future" QB and start developing him too.

The thing I keep getting back to is this staff just drafted Peterman and liked him enough to start him regular season over Ty. I think they are very conservative and won't pay up a heist for a QB in the draft which is why if one fell I think they do it but otherwise don't. I really could see this offseason they finish the foundation of the team in a lot of spots, use Smith for a season or two, and then next year go all out even if it uses the 2020 picks to get your QB in 2019.

Edited by corta765

Project 1, Find a Quarterback. I would trade Tyrod for "something". Sign a Veteran Like Sam Bradford and draft a QB in the 3RD round, either Mike White or Riley Ferguson.

Project 2, Rebuild front seven of Defense. Pieces worth keeping are Hughes and Milano. Sign Star Lotulelei DT and Draft front seven with 1st 4 picks. 

21. Harrison Phillips DT Stanford

22. Marcus Davenport DE/Edge UTSA

53. Josey Jewell ILB Iowa

55. Tegray Scales OLB Indiana

Fifth Round picks draft Running back and Wide Reciever.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't believe that Gaines will be re-signed and I have a reason, I firmly believe this staff/front office has a game plan when it comes to value versus position...corner is pick value (rather use a high pick) over spending money value...and it makes sense, even when Carolina had a true shutdown corner, they let him walk and drafted two in the next draft vs spending a good portion of the cap to retain him.  That money could then be used to help improve the pass rush and linebackers.

Think about it in terms of the last 12 months, sure Gilmore had a great play in the AFC championship game, but he is making so much more than White.  If you were to ask most who played better in 2017, I think most would agree White outplayed Gilmore.  Gilmore's contract will cost Patriots in a couple of years in the same way Dareus costs Buffalo.

then take in consideration that the first round rookie salaries are pretty much set, it doesn't matter if you are a guard or a corner, but in 5 years it will.  So I expect that Buffalo will look to improve the lines/Linebackers in free agency and draft skill positions.  Then find good role players prior to camp.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, frogger said:

I don't believe that Gaines will be re-signed and I have a reason, I firmly believe this staff/front office has a game plan when it comes to value versus position...corner is pick value (rather use a high pick) over spending money value...and it makes sense, even when Carolina had a true shutdown corner, they let him walk and drafted two in the next draft vs spending a good portion of the cap to retain him.  That money could then be used to help improve the pass rush and linebackers.

Think about it in terms of the last 12 months, sure Gilmore had a great play in the AFC championship game, but he is making so much more than White.  If you were to ask most who played better in 2017, I think most would agree White outplayed Gilmore.  Gilmore's contract will cost Patriots in a couple of years in the same way Dareus costs Buffalo.

then take in consideration that the first round rookie salaries are pretty much set, it doesn't matter if you are a guard or a corner, but in 5 years it will.  So I expect that Buffalo will look to improve the lines/Linebackers in free agency and draft skill positions.  Then find good role players prior to camp.

Gaines leaving doesn't necessarily scare me, but if they draft a CB with one of their first four picks I'll be kinda bummed just because we drafted one last year and I feel we have other spots that need more work.

28 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I plan on checking this board and watching the lunacy ensue.

More "Off the Wall" for me. Stay out of there, trolls/idiots.

Haha I remember after signing Mario being soo excited they might get Robert Meachum also. Whoops! haha

10 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Gaines leaving doesn't necessarily scare me, but if they draft a CB with one of their first four picks I'll be kinda bummed just because we drafted one last year and I feel we have other spots that need more work.

Haha I remember after signing Mario being soo excited they might get Robert Meachum also. Whoops! haha

the cap room buffalo would save would allow them to fill two holes vs re-signing Gaines...Gaines may actually get 9 million or more a year....Buffalo could sign, 2 linebackers and a utility lineman for that amount.

I'd rather draft one at 53 and possibly bring back Bradham and Brown (or Christian Jones and/or Demario Davis) and still have room to add others.

I tell GM its your turn.  We can all speculate on players, but ultimately it will be his plan based on his ideas.  Draft well.  The Bills need to draft well every year to sustain success.  It is the cheapest way to add good players to the team.    Last year we added White, Dawkins, Milano.  All good players.  If Jones pans out that makes 4 good players out of 6 drafted. 

That is a good draft.  We need a couple more just like it.