Why No Love for Schwartz?

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, Jerry Jabber said:

I wish that happened as we wouldn't have wasted two years on Rex. 

You'd prefer the guy who has the worst record on a single team in history?  The guy who actually brought the Browns down?

Anyway, to answer the OP's question--it's because no one thinks he would be a better HC the next time around.  Wade Philips is a better DC and was orders of magnitude better as a HC than JS, yet no love for him as HC for a while now.

17 hours ago, TPS said:

I'm with you. Stupid people think taking an 0-16 team to the playoffs in the third year means he's not a good head coach. Stupid people think this. He will be successful.

Where are all the "smart people" lining up to take Schwartz over lightweights like Vrabel?

The NFL disagrees with you.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You'd prefer the guy who has the worst record on a single team in history?  The guy who actually brought the Browns down?

Anyway, to answer the OP's question--it's because no one thinks he would be a better HC the next time around.  Wade Philips is a better DC and was orders of magnitude better as a HC than JS, yet no love for him as HC for a while now.

Where are all the "smart people" lining up to take Schwartz over lightweights like Vrabel?

The NFL thinks that hacks like Mularkey and Hue Jackson are worth employing. They are the worst standard to employ for smart decisions.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

...what if Schwartz is purely content being a DC which is his obvious forte'?.......maybe extra money in exchange for added rigors/stress of HC job is not what he wants.....when Pegula contacted Polian about being czar, Schwartz said in inner OBD circles, "I'll just retire (wanted no part of Polian/czar).....I have plenty to live on"......Detroit paid him the remaining $13 mil on his HC deal....probably making $2 mil+ is Eagles DC and is on solid footing.......

18 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The guy who had the #4 ranked defense in the NFL, which led the league in sacks. 

So if everyone went by your logic, Bill Belichick should not have been given a second chance to become a Head Coach. 

Just for the record: Belichick was not a disaster in Cleveland. He led them to the playoffs in his 3rd season and it all fell apart for him in his 4th season when the Browns were moving to Baltimore. Take away that last season and he is 31-31 in his tenure as the Browns coach.... not amazing but hardly a disaster.

Schwartz is just like Wade, great defensive coordinator but only a mediocre head coach. He has done an excellent job in Philly as he did here. I might be wrong but he seems like the type of guy that is ok with doing his thing as a coordinator and avoiding the pressures of head coaching. I still remember when the Bills players raised him up on their shoulders after their victory in Detroit. The players loved him and went to war for him. The exact opposite of Rex. I've often wondered how that celebration after the Detroit win played out with St.Doug? I really wish that after Marrone, we had brought in someone who could have convinced Schwartz to stay but obviously faced with Rex he wanted no part of it. Rex also wasn't going to let someone else get the glory on D either. Sad backwards step for the Bills.

3 minutes ago, teef said:

now i'm picturing a Saw type scenario.

I'm pretty sure it was a WGR interview where he said the players were going to try to stop Schwartz from leaving when Rex came

I think he was joking... I guess he must have been, unless Schwartz freed himself and ran to Philly

1 hour ago, Jerry Jabber said:

The guy who had the #4 ranked defense in the NFL, which led the league in sacks. 

So if everyone went by your logic, Bill Belichick should not have been given a second chance to become a Head Coach. 

He's a good DC, not a good HC.  I've already said that and it's clearly the conclusion of every team in the NFL.  Same for Wade.

Also clear is that no one sees in Schwartz now what others saw in BB then.  The rep for Schwartz is that he took them from 0-16 to the playoffs and then drove them back into the ground.  That he lost control of the team.  That's deadly.

On 1/24/2018 at 12:42 PM, Mr. WEO said:

He's a good DC, not a good HC.  I've already said that and it's clearly the conclusion of every team in the NFL.  Same for Wade.

Also clear is that no one sees in Schwartz now what others saw in BB then.  The rep for Schwartz is that he took them from 0-16 to the playoffs and then drove them back into the ground.  That he lost control of the team.  That's deadly.

We know that about Wade as he had numerous chances as HC. Pete Carroll did not have a great run his first time as an NFL HC,but is doing much better this time around.  Looks like we could see how Josh McDaniels does as a HC again next season. The point I’m trying to make is that past results don’t guarantee what someone will do in the future. Those that are smart learn from their mistakes. I would have much rather seen Schwartz as the HC than Rex Ryan as Schwartz had the players for his type of defense.

12 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

We know that about Wade as he had numerous chances as HC. Pete Carroll did not have a great run his first time as an NFL HC,but is doing much better this time around.  Looks like we could see how Josh McDaniels does as a HC again next season. The point I’m trying to make is that past results don’t guarantee what someone will do in the future. Those that are smart learn from their mistakes. I would have much rather seen Schwartz as the HC than Rex Ryan as Schwartz had the players for his type of defense.

He had that in Detroit as well....