Dareus, No Gilmore, Yes

Foreigner

20 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I dunno, I feel like having the highest paid guy in the building showing up late to stuff and basically not fully committing to the process sets a poor example. Especially on a team that is actively working to get younger. I don't want young guys coming in an emulating him.  

Again, who did he influence? He never influenced anyone. He was like the crazy uncle. If Kyle Williams was causing issues I’d agree. The locker room looks to him to lead. No one ever looked to Dareus. I’ve never heard 1 story about how his actions influenced anyone. The closest I can think of is when he and Hughes raced. That wasn’t Hughes falling under the spell of Dareus though. That was 2 guys being stupid.

12 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Problem is Whaley never should have given him that contract. It's only one of his many failures.

I don’t disagree that the contract was a mistake. I wouldn’t have given it to him. That’s what top DL were getting though. They maybe didn’t have to go as far as they did but had to be in that neighborhood to get it done. Dareus was also a client of the agency that Pegula owned. I’m sure that he instructed them to have a fair and amicable negotiation. 

FWIW, I would say not adding language to Dareus’ contract to get them out with a suspension is Whaley’s biggest failure. It wasn’t difficult to add that. That was negligent IMO.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

45 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW, I would say not adding language to Dareus’ contract to get them out with a suspension is Whaley’s biggest failure. It wasn’t difficult to add that. That was negligent IMO.

It was actually a larger foul than you're stating here, since the standard NFL player contract language allows the team to recoup bonus money in the event of a suspension; Whaley actually made it a point to include language that they couldn't recoup bonus money in the event of a drug-related suspension.

If that's not enabling the dude, I don't know what is...

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Marcel Dareus sack of Tom Brady today in the 4thQ could not get the Jacksonville a trip to the Super Bowl,

but Stephon Gilmore with maybe a game saver, got the New England Pats to the Super Bowl.

There is a old saying in sports "DON'T QUIT ON TALENT" and it is mind boggling all the talent the Bills 

gave away this year. I believed it's been repeated hundreds of times here, so I don't need to go into all

the names, because you know who they are. For Cap space and Draft Choices?

Why is it that the Pats never have these situations that hurt them? 

We even lost two guys off the practice squad to these guys this past season. Are the Pats that smarter?

You all know the answer. 

Dareus had the worst contract in the NFL.  His cap hit is still one of the tops on the team, and he's not even here anymore.  He was also a lazy selfish player.

Gilmore was a free agent - and the only option was to tag him.  Tagging him means likely no hyde/poyer, and we probably dont draft white.  

Practice squad guys are fringe players trying to get a job in the league.  We stole a player from the NE practice squad, which was not mentioned either.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, kdiggz said:

List of HC interviews in 2015 below. Almost all of them better than Rex. We already had one of the best defenses in the league and they hire a defensive coach??? Pick any of these offensive minded coaches and we are in the playoffs that year assuming we keep Schwartz as DC/Assistant HC. Choosing Rex set us back 3 yrs.

• Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator, Seattle (Saturday, 1/3)
  • Adam Gase, offensive coordinator, Denver (Saturday, 1/3)
  • Dan Quinn, defensive coordinator, Seattle (Saturday, 1/3)
  • Frank Reich, offensive coordinator, San Diego (Sunday, 1/4)
  • Mike Shanahan, head coach (fmr.), Washington (Sunday, 1/4)
  • Pat Shurmur, offensive coordinator, Philadelphia (Tuesday, 1/6)
  • Hue Jackson, offensive coordinator, Cincinnati (Wednesday, 1/7)
  • Rex Ryan, head coach (fmr.), New York Jets (Thursday, 1/8)
  • Kyle Shanahan, offensive coordinator, Cleveland (Thursday, 1/8)
  • Jim Schwartz, defensive coordinator, Buffalo (date N/A)

Who says any of them would have signed with us?

Same goes for Gilmore.

Also the pats offered him 65mil with 40 guaranteed

He's making as much as boyue, Sherman, Rhodes, Peterson

No thanks.

10 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Is it a habit of yours to interview for jobs you don't want? I would think if they interviewed for the job they would want it.

Really?

So you've never interviewed for a job then turned it down?

You just go in, take the first offer?

You should always interview for multiple jobs, and with your options.

That's what many people do.

They schedule multiple interviews, which gives you leverage.

Take the offer from a couple and then use that as a negotiating tactic for the others.

"Team A offered me $5mil a year for 3. Team B offered me $4.0 mil for 4, and full draft control and trade veto. I really want to be here though, so give me something comparable and I'll take it"