Chudzinski OC, Dorsey QB Coach, Match made in heaven

19 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Guess you missed going to a SB and being MVP of the NFL with Ted Ginn as your 1 wr. 

We all saw that.  That was Auburn Cam Newton.

Then what happened?  Since then,  he has regressed as a passer and has relied even more on his rushing. 

Why is that solid evidence that he should be a good pick up for the Bills?

43 minutes ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

I agree that this would be an awesome trio.  I also wouldn't mind bringing in John Defilippo as OC.  He is a big reason for the success in Philly!    Let's GoBuffalo!!!!! 

DeFilippo was my original choice for OC as well, but not sure they want to wait until the Eagles are out. They risk losing out on Chud and Bevell, and then DeFilippo going somewhere else, and we're back at where we started with our 4th choice who doesnt develop QBs.

51 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I definitely could get with this. Does Chud have any history of developing a qb? I think Dorsey was big for Cam.

Per his wiki:

In 2011, Chudzinski was named the Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator. He took one of the league's worst offenses in 2010 and transformed it into one of the top 10 offenses in 2011 with rookie quarterback Cam Newton. The Panthers finished seventh overall in the league on offense, fifth in points scored, and set a new franchise record for total yards in a season.

Sounds like both were big for Cam. And I like Chud because he seems much more focused on passing than anyone the Bills have had at OC in the past 5 years.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

DeFilippo was my original choice for OC as well, but to sure they want to wait until the Eagles are out. They risk losing out on Chud and Bevell, and then DeFilippo going somewhere else, and we're back at where we started with our 4th choice who doesnt develop QBs.

.....fair assessment......I like the DiFillippo kid as well (Irish like me).......losing out on Chud would be the worry, Bevell not so much IMO.........

I'd prefer Shula as QB coach and Dorsey as some other silly name.

Shula will get a shot at OC again and he's hungry. He did well in Carolina and Dorsey could be valuable in other roles. RB's, Olsen, others remarked that he helped more than just Newton.

I've been high on Dorsey since Newton had his breakout year.  I want to set him up for future success.  But, I'd rather let Shula hold the QB keys for a while and task Dorsey at another position to check his ability. If our OC departs in a few years to move in Shula moves up, Dorsey moves up, Tice moves up.  Someone takes OC

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....fair assessment......I like the DiFillippo kid as well (Irish like me).......losing out on Chud would be the worry, Bevell not so much IMO.........

Aren't there any O.C's from the Sean Payton tree ? Orleans receivers all seem to be running around free.

4 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I'd prefer Shula as QB coach and Dorsey as some other silly name.

Shula will get a shot at OC again and he's hungry. He did well in Carolina and Dorsey could be valuable in other roles. RB's, Olsen, others remarked that he helped more than just Newton.

I've been high on Dorsey since Newton had his breakout year.  I want to set him up for future success.  But, I'd rather let Shula hold the QB keys for a while and task Dorsey at another position to check his ability. If our OC departs in a few years to move in Shula moves up, Dorsey moves up, Tice moves up.  Someone takes OC

Keep everyone with the name Shula away from my team! :nana::thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Keep everyone with the name Shula away from my team! :nana::thumbsup:

Of all the rivalries we had during our best years it is amazing to consider we could not stand/hated so many but respected Don Shula more than anyone else. Elway was a distant 2nd. 

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Of all the rivalries we had during our best years it is amazing to consider we could not stand/hated so many but respected Don Shula more than anyone else. Elway was a distant 2nd. 

....why not?......his teams were fun to watch....Kiick, Czonka, Warfield, Morris, Marino, Marks Brothers, Nicky B, Killer B's, Dick Anderson, Griese, etc....hard to deny there wasn't some pretty entertaining football there......

45 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not sure I follow the logic.

What has Chud accomplished as a playcaller in the last 5 years that makes him right for the Bills?  And why is it important that he coached Dorsey (who washed out of the NFL)?

What has Dorsey accomplished with Cam in Carolina?  As QB's in college, they were polar opposites.  Also, Cam has changed little in his game since he left college. What has Dorsey's impact been on the erratic Newton?

In addition to his success with the Panthers in Newton's rookie year, in 2007, Chudzinski also helped the Cleveland Browns rank eighth overall on offense, send 4 offensive players to the Pro Bowl (which I'll concede means next to nothing), and finish second in the AFC North with a record of 10–6, their most wins since 1994. (Chudzinski's Wiki). Dorsey was a QB on the roster, so they have long-standing and continued familiarity. Derek Anderson threw for over 3,000 yards, 29 TDs, and 19 INTs. Jamal Lewis rushed for a 4.4 avg and totaled over 1,300 yards with 9 TDs. Kellen Winslow, Jr. and Braylon Edwards (remember him?) each had over 1,100 yards receiving, with 5 and 16 TDs, respectively. Not bad. 

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

In addition to his success with the Panthers in Newton's rookie year, in 2007, Chudzinski also helped the Cleveland Browns rank eighth overall on offense, send 4 offensive players to the Pro Bowl (which I'll concede means next to nothing), and finish second in the AFC North with a record of 10–6, their most wins since 1994. (Chudzinski's Wiki). Dorsey was a QB on the roster, so they have long-standing and continued familiarity. Derek Anderson threw for over 3,000 yards, 29 TDs, and 19 INTs. Jamal Lewis rushed for a 4.4 avg and totaled over 1,300 yards with 9 TDs. Kellen Winslow, Jr. and Braylon Edwards (remember him?) each had over 1,100 yards receiving, with 5 and 16 TDs, respectively. Not bad. 

...certainly agree....what exactly is the benchmark around here for an OC anyway?.........none of 'em parted the Red Sea.......

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hey, since apparently we're doing a thread for each option and idea we come up with, I figured I should start one for what looks like the best possible scenario.

Rob Chudzinski as OC

Ken Dorsey as QB Coach

While I wasnt high on Chud upfront, the idea to pair him with Dorsey would make a lot of sense. My main requirement for the new O staff is being QB-centric to develop our upcoming rookie. First thing that jumps out from Chud's Wikipedia page is that Dorsey was QB at Miami while Chud was OC, where they won a National Championship together and set a bunch of passing records.

With their prior experience together, and being passing/QB-centric, and BOTH of their connections to Carolina's staff while McD was there... It just makes too much sense.

Git'r'dun!

As long we get the right QB it should work.

26 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

I wonder if the holdup is waiting on what happens in INDY. If they hire a defensive coach, he might want to keep chudzinski and I could see all those Carolina guys going to indy to work with luck

This seems like it is becoming more likely. With the report that McDaniels is taking the Indy job, one would assume Chudz is out. In fact, I think this is what Mike McCoy was waiting for as he was McDaniels' OC in Denver. 

Chudz+Dorsey makes a lot of sense. 

2 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Still don't get it.  Chad got something out of Anderson 10 years ago.  Dorsey, who was coached by Chud, couldn't beat out Anderson.

Dorsey has presided over Cam's devolution.

I just don't see evidence of a compelling combo here.