Bills 2018 cap space projection

13 minutes ago, Jacobo Peterman said:

The Salary Cap Link  at the top of the page is link bar is an execllent resource for those on TBD.   The top  8 guys represent  45%

or the cap and I don't think there is a bargain in the  group and quite a few burdens. Tyrod 18 mil, Glenn 14 mil, Hughes 10 mill

McCoy 9 mill , Clay 9 mil, Woods 8 mil, Benjamin 8 mil , Incognito 7.5 mill...   Plus were paying a price for in dead cap money compared to other teams., whether it's from the previous regime or moves made the current staff it still has to be dealt with.  McCoy is worth 9 mill and Incgnito value is also fair.  

I agree Taylor and Glenn not being worth their pay.

Taylor, I think we either cut and re-sign after he fails to find a better situation, like last year, and he'll compete for the job but end up being a top end QB2/Wildcat for us. Otherwise he'll get traded, I hope. 

Glenn, I hope they are able to move for a pick, or package with picks to move up in the 1st round. Dawkins made him expendable and we can replace Mills for way less than $14 million. 

McCoy is a top back in the league and most of of offense. Well worth $9 million.

Clay was one of Taylor's favorite targets and will benefit from (hopefully) a new OC and new (better) QB.  

Benjamin at $8 million is well worth it once he's back into proper playing condition, which he should be. That price for a guy who is at the very least a top end WR2 is good value. Just wish we had given that money to Robert Woods (also set to have a cap hit of $8 million next year). 

While Wood could stand to play better, I think given his long tenure and leadership, he won't get cut until (and only if) OBD drafts/signs/promotes someone who beats him out in camp. 

The only way Incognito goes is if the Jaguars game allegations are true. 

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I agree Taylor and Glenn not being worth their pay.

Taylor, I think we either cut and re-sign after he fails to find a better situation, like last year, and he'll compete for the job but end up being a top end QB2/Wildcat for us. Otherwise he'll get traded, I hope. 

Glenn, I hope they are able to move for a pick, or package with picks to move up in the 1st round. Dawkins made him expendable and we can replace Mills for way less than $14 million. 

McCoy is a top back in the league and most of of offense. Well worth $9 million.

Clay was one of Taylor's favorite targets and will benefit from (hopefully) a new OC and new (better) QB.  

Benjamin at $8 million is well worth it once he's back into proper playing condition, which he should be. That price for a guy who is at the very least a top end WR2 is good value. Just wish we had given that money to Robert Woods (also set to have a cap hit of $8 million next year). 

While Wood could stand to play better, I think given his long tenure and leadership, he won't get cut until (and only if) OBD drafts/signs/promotes someone who beats him out in camp. 

The only way Incognito goes is if the Jaguars game allegations are true. 

I am trying to figure out why it has to be a "Dawkins played well so Glenn should be moved" thing

Last time I checked they could BOTH be on the field at the same time at LT and RT.......

Why get rid of good players when you dont have to.....there is NO free agent OL on the market that is going to be as good as a healthy Cordy Glenn.

I know that the health is a risk.....but all of it is.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, John from Hemet said:

I am trying to figure out why it has to be a "Dawkins played well so Glenn should be moved" thing

Last time I checked they could BOTH be on the field at the same time at LT and RT.......

Why get rid of good players when you dont have to.....there is NO free agent OL on the market that is going to be as good as a healthy Cordy Glenn.

Do we know that Cordy Glenn is good at RT?

4 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Possible Big Money Cuts:

Tyrod Taylor - $9,440,000

Cordy Glenn - $4,850,000

Richie Incognito (35 years old) - $6,425,000

Lorenzo Alexander (35 years old) - $2,550,000

Bills should have around $60 million in cap space.

Team Needs

QB

OT

2 OG'S

2 DT'S

2 LB'S

DE

WR

CB

RB

McDermott and Beane have work to do. Excited to see what happens.

It would be foolish to cut Glenn, imo.

With Dawkins getting valuable experience this year at T, Glenn would give Buffalo the making of a dominate OL with the addition or development of a guard or two.

8 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

We are not talking about Kujo here with the bad leg......usually good LTs with strength are just as good on the RT side.

Both these guys are maulers

I'm sure I'll get some knee-slapper Buddy Nix comments, but if Glenn is on the team and starting next year it's gonna be at LG imo.

4 hours ago, Nanker said:

Says here that TT's cap hit would be $3.1mm if he's a post June 1st cut.

If you wait until June 1st you have to pay him the 6 mil bonus second day of the league year

1 hour ago, John from Hemet said:

I would still like to know why Groy did not get more burn this year at the OG spots

Because he is a terrible guard and good center.   Did you see any of the preseason the last two years with him at guard?

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Partially true but there are other teams with just as much or more money, so league wide I think there are a lot of teams in "great shape", and since we are effectively competing against other teams for free agents it makes us in average shape in comparison to the rest of the NFL---better than about half the teams but not as good as about half the teams as well.

Guess the Bills will have to do a lot of schmoozing in order to sell to other players to come here.

32 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

The first 2 parts in bold: Glenn has missed a lot of time due to injury and is due to make $14 million. The best ability is availability. I would like my 2nd highest paid player to play. 

The third part in bold: Respectfully, that sounds like a cop out. Everything is a risk when making offseason decisions, but that does not mean OBD should not try to make their risks as calculated as possible. 

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

The first 2 parts in bold: Glenn has missed a lot of time due to injury and is due to make $14 million. The best ability is availability. I would like my 2nd highest paid player to play. 

The third part in bold: Respectfully, that sounds like a cop out. Everything is a risk when making offseason decisions, but that does not mean OBD should not try to make their risks as calculated as possible. 

Cordy has RECENTLY had injury issues....lets not make it sound like he has been an injury prone player......he was very dependable for his initial years with us.

It really comes down to do the bills think his most current injuries are going to linger.

9 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Cordy has RECENTLY had injury issues....lets not make it sound like he has been an injury prone player......he was very dependable for his initial years with us.

It really comes down to do the bills think his most current injuries are going to linger.

I agree with the point about lingering. (I, like Saul Silver hate lingerers.)

But NFL is all about RECENTLY. You're not going to sign any FA because they had a dynamite 2013, right? Glenn has started 16 out of the last 33 games. I think he's a solid player and has been dependable for us, but I also think a draft pick and $14 million off the cap are enticing. 

I also think dependability and availability are similar. 

16 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I agree with the point about lingering. (I, like Saul Silver hate lingerers.)

But NFL is all about RECENTLY. You're not going to sign any FA because they had a dynamite 2013, right? Glenn has started 16 out of the last 33 games. I think he's a solid player and has been dependable for us, but I also think a draft pick and $14 million off the cap are enticing. 

I also think dependability and availability are similar. 

If you call top 10 LOT in the NFL solid I agree with you.

I know we are always looking for cap space....but we actually have plenty of it this upcoming offseason due to jettisoning the name players we have already this season.   At the end of the day I think you have to weigh cap savings with actually biulding the talent on your team.

None of this matters...I could be completely wrong and the bills draft could trade him for a bag of footballs like Marcel.

I think Lorax is retained for 1 more year at DE.  Richie could be in jeopardy of being released. Groy needs to play whether it be for RI or Ducasse. Tyrod is gone. They'll go after A Smith or maybe Cousins. I just don't want to pay Kirk $34M. The top priorities are FA QB + Draft QB. Then rebuild DL. After that OL,  LB's.

6 hours ago, ChanOverChin said:

I think McD & Beane will seek to keep LB Alexander, OT C. Glenn, OG Incognito, and DT K. Williams.  These guys may need to take a pay cut or have their contract restructured, but expect them to be back.

Expect McD & Beane to prioritize as follows:

1A. Retaining their veteran leaders (Alexander, K. Williams, Incognito).

1B.  Acquiring a high quality QB - T. Taylor will be traded before his $6M bonus is due.  The Bills can then seek to acquire a vet QB like A. Smith,

C. Keenum, K. Cousins, T. Bridgewater or Bradford.  Expect them to also draft a young QB for the future.  My money is on QB J. Allen.

2.  Build the O-line - Keeping a healthy Glenn and Incognito will be a big part of it.  Glenn could be moved to RT.  We could be looking at LT Dawkins, LG Incognito, OC Wood, RG ??, RT Glenn    OR    LT Glenn, LG Dawkins, OC Wood, RG Incognito, RT ??.  The Bills have added a nice piece in Dawkins.  Now they just need to add one more piece to complete the O-line.

3.  Build the D-line - At DE they have Hughes, Lawson, Yarbrough, R. Davis, and C. Capi.  If Alexander is moved to DE like he should be then this becomes a much more formidable group.  Expect the Bills to improve their talent at OLB so that Alexander can provide more of an impact as a pass rusher.  At DT they have K. Williams, Washington, Coleman, Thornton, and Hatley.  This is where they need a nice infusion of talent.

I agree with all your points,  My guess the QB will be Josh Allen if he drops to 21.  I would also like to see us add a solid WR and RB as well

Glenn is still relatively young, and atm, with Dawkins playing decently for nothing, we can afford to see what's happening with Glenn. If the surgery and rehab is a success, we would be being inane to ship him out, as he could easily be playing here another 5 years at a high level.

The other thing with Glenn, is that he's probably a 'professional's professional'. Works hard, takes whatever lumps come his way, and just gets on with it. He doesn't make a fuss about anything, just tries to do his job. Very much a McBeane type of guy, imho.

While I do have an appreciation of the old adage that the most valuable players on a team are those who turn up to play every Sunday, he's not been alone in getting crocked this year, and his overall availabilty generally, has been good. There's a reason he got his contract in the first place, and it was down to ability. That hasn't left him, and good OTs don't come cheap.

8 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Possible Big Money Cuts:

Tyrod Taylor - $9,440,000

Cordy Glenn - $4,850,000

Richie Incognito (35 years old) - $6,425,000

Lorenzo Alexander (35 years old) - $2,550,000

Bills should have around $60 million in cap space.

Team Needs

QB

OT

2 OG'S

2 DT'S

2 LB'S

DE

WR

CB

RB

McDermott and Beane have work to do. Excited to see what happens.

Can't we add in Eric Wood?   He's terrible.  Groy does a better job!