Jim Mora Jr talks Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield

peterpan

33 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Obviously but, in this case, he is also right.

For most of the college QBs these days, their pocket presence stinks, because they are so used to bouncing outside and running.  All of this year's guys do that, execpt Rosen and Rudolph.  After watching these guys for years, I'm almost certain teams should start avoiding the bounce-it types.  It's aparant that it's a hard habit to break

Not to mention the "bounce it" types have shorter careers. They have to get good at passing before they get slow, and then transition to a pocket passer later in their career (ie Vick, McNabb, etc).

If you hit on a pocket passer, you've got a 8-15 year window to be competitive.

I see comments about Mayfield being a punk. His team, coaches and community swear by him. He has gone out of his way to ensure his teammates get recognition. He certainly is brash and ultra comptetive. I want that ALL day and twice on Sunday from my QB. Finally, I LOVE that he gives the big FU to the opposition.

Rosen seems like the safest pick. He's polished, has all the tools and knows how to run a pro system. People don't seem to talk about his upside much, but he seems like a guy who has a good shot of being a top 10 QB for many years. Seems pretty similar to Matt Ryan as a prospect.

Darnold has all the tools but obviously makes too many mistakes. He'll probably be pretty good, but I'm not sure you can win big with a guy like that who turns the ball over a lot. I see a lot of Matt Stafford here. 

Mayfield doesn't really have any comps. He's an intense competitor with a good, accurate arm. I think he's got a lot of upside due to his competitive nature, and his downside is he'll last a long time in the league as a good backup. Not sure who to compare him to, but I think he's a decent prospect who should wind up in the top 10.

I think these three guys probably all go in the top 5. I think Rosen and Darnold go 1-2 one way or another, and then Mayfield seems like a good shot to go #4 as the Browns move down and stockpile picks as teams bid to get ahead of the Broncos. 

3 hours ago, Buftex said:

I ask this as somebody who doesn't follow college football a whole lot (just the big games), but assuming the Bills don't get Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield: how about Mason Rudolph or Josh Allen?  Which would you prefer?

I love college ball and I love Rudolph. I feel he is going to end up one of the top QBs from this class when all all said and done years later. I really want them to move up for Rosen but would be more then ok with Rudolph. I also like Darnold and Mayfield but not as much as Rosen/Rudolph.

IMO Allen and Jackson are fool's gold. Allen will take the longest to develop if he ever does and Jackson is Tyrod 2.0 IMO.

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buftex said:

I ask this as somebody who doesn't follow college football a whole lot (just the big games), but assuming the Bills don't get Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield: how about Mason Rudolph or Josh Allen?  Which would you prefer?

Riley Ferguson.

5 minutes ago, Wagon Circler said:

Riley Ferguson.

That would be so OBD, wait and take a big project and act like they are addressing the most important position in football. Sadly all he would do is sit next to the other big project.

Edited by xRUSHx

2 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Logic: Rosen won't be good because Brett Hundley

That is a pretty piss poor comparison, the Pac 12 has produced a ton of good QB's in the last 10 years.  The Big 12 has produced nothing but busts in that time.

1 hour ago, simool said:

That is a pretty piss poor comparison, the Pac 12 has produced a ton of good QB's in the last 10 years.  The Big 12 has produced nothing but busts in that time.

RGIII had talent, just hampered by injuries. Same with Bradford. Dalton. Tannehill.

Going back a little bit further, Kordell Stewart. Oh, and that Troy Aikman guy was okay. 

But let's keep talking in absolutes. 

5 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

RGIII had talent, just hampered by injuries. Same with Bradford. Dalton. Tannehill.

Going back a little bit further, Kordell Stewart. Oh, and that Troy Aikman guy was okay. 

But let's keep talking in absolutes. 

Again you are not helping your argument.  Bradford, Tannehill, Dalton.  Dalton can't make it out of the first round of the playoffs, we already have a qb for that.  Tannehill and Bradford cannot stay healthy.  Sound like excellent choices to burn a first round pick on.  Did'nt we just burn two on a WR that could not stay healthy, oh what the hell first round picks grow on trees.

Stewart graduated in 95 and Aikman in 89.  10 years would be 2007... I will be waiting.

3 minutes ago, simool said:

Again you are not helping your argument.  Bradford, Tannehill, Dalton.  Dalton can't make it out of the first round of the playoffs, we already have a qb for that.  Tannehill and Bradford cannot stay healthy.  Sound like excellent choices to burn a first round pick on.  Did'nt we just burn two on a WR that could not stay healthy, oh what the hell first round picks grow on trees.

Stewart graduated in 95 and Aikman in 89.  10 years would be 2007... I will be waiting.

All three are solid NFL starters, no? I would say that means "good QBs" and not "busts" (words from your post).

You're going to argue not to take anyone who could get injured? Okay, then we never take a QB. Anyone can get injured. 

Good job ignoring the "[g]oing back a little bit further" part of my post though. 

1 hour ago, simool said:

1 minute ago, simool said:

So you think the Big12 is more likely to recruit injury prone QBs? Ore does something about playing in the big 12 weaken your ACL. Should we worry about the pac 12 QBs because of Palmer and Luck battling injuries? In all seriousness conference, or division matter but they are all part of the evaluation process. Should we start looking at FCS schools because 100% of the FCS qbs drafted high in the NFL are successful. 

1 minute ago, Batman1876 said:

So you think the Big12 is more likely to recruit injury prone QBs? Ore does something about playing in the big 12 weaken your ACL. Should we worry about the pac 12 QBs because of Palmer and Luck battling injuries? In all seriousness conference, or division matter but they are all part of the evaluation process. Should we start looking at FCS schools because 100% of the FCS qbs drafted high in the NFL are successful. 

You both are taking it to the extreme.  What your conference does is give you a body of work that you can project out and get some idea of how he will deal with a much higher level of talent at the NFL level.  The Big 12 is and has been for at least the last 10 years loaded with non-existent defenses.  I believe statistically we have a better shot of getting a QB from one of the stronger conferences.  Could there be a good choice in the Big 12? Sure but at this point it is a lot like striking gold.