trading T. Taylor

2 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Personally?   If we get past the jags and TT doesnt suck I think he is back and we draft a qb

It's possible but $18 million is simply not realistic to pay a guy who posts the type of stat lines Taylor does on a regular basis. Especially if Beane believes they can get that from NP next year who costs virtually nothing.

In the end though it might come down to what TT and his agent truly believe he's worth and not wanting to be on a year to year situation in Buffalo which is obviously going to be the case next year again if he should come back with NP and/or another rookie QB waiting in the wings.

1 minute ago, John from Hemet said:

let me just say that I actually like Alex Smith

I would like to see a QB drafted regardless of scenario.....if you trade for Alex Smith then i think they can afford to be more patient and wait to see what falls to their 1st round picks.

I'd also take Alex Smith over TT if that was an option. But still believe NP can have a good offseason and bet the guy next year even if he's ultimately a placeholder for somebody else we draft this spring.

Just now, SaviorPeterman said:

It's possible but $18 million is simply not realistic to pay a guy who posts the type of stat lines Taylor does on a regular basis. Especially if Beane believes they can get that from NP next year who costs virtually nothing.

In the end though it might come down to what TT and his agent truly believe he's worth and not wanting to be on a year to year situation in Buffalo which is obviously going to be the case next year again if he should come back with NP and/or another rookie QB waiting in the wings.

You have to take into account how much it is going to cost to bring in a veteran backup QB and cut TT in that scenario.

Unless you just roll with a draft pick and Peterman....which i really dont think they will do

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Obviously it backfired in spectacular fashion which is why he went back to TT. But still think had NP played a better game he would have stuck as the starter, even with 2 or 3 INT's probably wouldn't have went back to TT. You can argue that NP might have stayed the starter after the Colts game as well if not for getting hurt.

Now that's going out on a limb.

The only reason the team's best quarterback is starting is because the team's second best quarterback played so bad.

Whoda thunk it?

Edited by grb

37 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

The True question is not about Tyrod, but about Petermen. If they think Petermen is going to be there starter eventually then you stick with Tyrod in 2018 until Petermen is ready/ If they think Petermen is a good back up only then you Trade Tyrod. And since the Bills are a playoff team, do you roll into 2018 with Petermen and a rookie, or do you trade for Alex Smith and keep Petermen as his backup????

You trade for Alex Smith and keep Peterman and another developmental pick taken in the 2018 draft.

59 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

You trade for Alex Smith and keep Peterman and another developmental pick taken in the 2018 draft.

Raising the question whether the team would keep three quarterbacks. At a minimum, wouldn't one go to the practice squad?

9 minutes ago, grb said:

Raising the question whether the team would keep three quarterbacks. At a minimum, wouldn't one go to the practice squad?

Sure. Some keep 3 some keep 2. If you are lucky enuf to land a decent prospect in the mid to later rounds you would probably PS him unless you were worried about poaching. 

2 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Use whatever you get for Tyrod (a 3rd is reasonable) and use that pick for Alex Smith. Instant and seamless upgrade IMO. Good draft and FA and you challenge for the division next year. 

Tyrod is almost certainly done here. Panthers have three QBs on roster. All prototypical size (if not bigger) pocket passers. Carolina thinking is now our philosophy. Also why we will not be drafting Mayfield, who will be there in the first when we pick IMO. No smurfs for Blo. 

I'm SMH here.  We want to upgrade from Tyrod Taylor to Alex Smith, so we trade Taylor for a 3rd, then trade the 3rd we get for Alex Smith?

Why wouldn't our trade partner just go for Alex Smith themselves? 

Or if he's an upgrade (the argument can be made), why wouldn't the Chiefs put a higher value on him?

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm SMH here.  We want to upgrade from Tyrod Taylor to Alex Smith, so we trade Taylor for a 3rd, then trade the 3rd we get for Alex Smith?

Why wouldn't our trade partner just go for Alex Smith themselves? 

Or if he's an upgrade (the argument can be made), why wouldn't the Chiefs put a higher value on him?

Fair comment. I'm wishful thinking a bit. Andy Reid is rumoured to want a second and that's what it might well cost. Also tho a third might be doable Tyrod might only garner a fourth what with the # of vet QBs who make be on the market. 

And of course not every QB is scheme versatile. I like Alex Smith partly because I think he could execute Dennison's offence. But he might not fit everywhere. Actually, before it became obvious that the Browns were going (again) to be in a position to draft at the top I thought Tyrod might be a good choice for Hue Jackson's O in Cleveland. 

2 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

The True question is not about Tyrod, but about Petermen. If they think Petermen is going to be there starter eventually then you stick with Tyrod in 2018 until Petermen is ready/ If they think Petermen is a good back up only then you Trade Tyrod. And since the Bills are a playoff team, do you roll into 2018 with Petermen and a rookie, or do you trade for Alex Smith and keep Petermen as his backup????

I think there were 2 things football stupid about McDermott's decision to bench Tyrod an d go with Pterman starting in SD.

1. It was a dumb way to handle Tyrod who we all know is not an SB capable franchise QB..  Uh Bueller, in case you didn't notice we ain't gonna win the SB this year.  The reasonable (but still unlikely at the time) was o  "simply" make the playoffs.    Tyrod was/is a placeholder, but clearly at that time (to folks not blinded by being in control and thinking they are smarter than they are) a vet QB even wth few pocket spills was our best chance to win because he not only had extraordinary escapability skilss, but most important did not turn the ball over.

Tyrod is not Tom Brady or Joe Montana, but he really is the placeholder QB we needed to scrape this team into the playoffs.

The bigger problem I have with the decision though was that it was incredibly bad player development of Peterman.  Self-confidence is a big part of the game.  McDermott not only put Peterman in a position where an NFL consensus 5th round draft pick is voluntarily thrown into leading the team before he was ready.  Even worse, not only did he try for this unprecedented result (Roethensburger and Manning were consensus 1st round talents when they led their teams to SBs, 6th round pick Tom Brady sat on the bench and learned the game and even after being forced to start due to the freak Bledsoe injury, he sings the praises of how the plodding feet but trained football brain of Bledsoe helped him dissect the games and perform better).

McDermott by announcing the change early in the week gave the SD braintrust the chance to gameplan for the rookie and SD players the chance to practice fooling him.

Not only did he challenge Peterman's confidence, but he undermined his teammatres confidence in him.

I think Peterman is a good player, and I hope he develops and shows the moxie to comeback from the SD debacle.  However, with proper development. I think he might have developed into our 2018 QB.  However, it will not surprise me to see him need to practice and play and learn until it takes til 2019 to gain the confidence of teammates and fans.

I think Tyrod has 2 good years left in him as a serviceable game managing QB. He will never be a pocket passer but he is 28 years old, he can turn broken plays into huge gains with his feet, he doesn't turn the ball over. Once he hits 30-31, I think he will likely be done with because the big 30 is a death knell for NFL players, especially RBs and running QBs. I'd like to squeeze another 2 years out of Tyrod and groom a stud behind him.

...FA starts March 14 and $6 mil roster bonus is due March 16 leaving OBD 2 days to wheel 'n deal......if no deal, they'll have to decide to pay the $6 mil and continue to wheel and deal, potentially eating the $6 mil or keeping him for an additional $10 mil....doubt he'd renegotiate.....

4 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I'd also take Alex Smith over TT if that was an option. But still believe NP can have a good offseason and bet the guy next year even if he's ultimately a placeholder for somebody else we draft this spring.

Blah, blah, blah, blah.