Which Bills player deserves the most credit for ending the drought this season?

DC Greg

I'm going to go with the secondary as a whole simply because it's asking a lot for any team to play well with 4 brand new starters in the DB/S positions.

And just think how good this group will be next year with an overhauled front seven. They showed their potential already early in the season when the defense actually was stopping the run and getting pressure/sacks. But most knew that wasn't sustainable but could be next year with a real pass rush.

9 hours ago, ganesh said:

It is really McDermott that needs to get full credit for breaking the drought.  He brought a culture change to this organization and made this team believe in themselves.  They went through a crappy 3-game losing streak including a QB benching; but he swallowed his ego and brought the QB back and then went on a 4-2 run to close out the season.  He did not put the team in disarray or second-guess themselves at any time.   Even when we lost that game to Carolina with a finger-tip miss at the end of the game, he gave full credit to his team for staying there till the final whistle and to learn from the experience of losing a close game.  I think that made the players feel responsible and accountable for their actions.   As I wrote in another thread, the most important concept that he drilled into his team is what Pegula mentioned in his post-game Press Conference:  "Sean does NOT ask a player to do something that he himself cannot do".   There were NO ANTICS in that locker room.  

I was about to say this too.  He jettisoned talented but troubled players and still came out ahead.

If I had to vote for a player that made a difference it would have to be Kyle Williams.  He has been the leader that kept the Bills believing in McDermott's process.

A lot of really good takes in here. I hadn’t given much thought to Hauschka or Dawkins, but when you think about how different the outcomes of games could have been without their contributions, it’s hard to not put them on the short list at the very least. Shady is an obvious choice, but I’m still sticking with Tre and the secondary overall. 

Considering Tyrod is ROASTED on here after every single loss (deserved or not) how can he not be the single player that deserves the most credit?

Who was the single player on this roster, as constructed, that couldnt be replaced this season? Tyrod. There was nothing behind him on the roster. Nothing at all. 

Yes, losing shady is a kick in the nuts. However, like Tyrod, Shady had his worst season as a Bill. SHADY DIDNT SCORE AN OFFENSIVE TOUCHDOWN UNTIL WEEK 7 AND HAD 1 GAME WHERE HE RUSHED FOR 100 YARDS THROUGH 8 WEEKS OF THE SEASON. His very presence on the field however was a threat. But again, when he wasnt doing much at the beginning of the season, we were still winning. And when we lost no one blamed him. Why? Because he’s a RB and not the QB. 

Tyrod, like the argument goes when he loses, is the QB of the team and touches the ball on every play. So its the pinnacle of hypocricy to blast him when we lose, and ignore him when we win. 

In terms of units, everyone should say the Defense hands down carried this team most of the season (with the exception of a rough 2-3 week stretch where they got blasted). Within that defensive unit, hands down the secondary was the heart and soul all year. White, Poyer, Hyde, and Gaines. But IMO i cant say Hyde was any more valuable than Poyer or White or vice/versa. 

Thats my answer and Im sticking with it. Lol. 

Edited by bobobonators

On 1/3/2018 at 2:09 AM, papazoid said:

if you removed one player from the team who would be the biggest loss ?

TT by far.....simply because of the importance of the position and the lack of quality behind him.

shady is our best player this season....but we hardly missed him when he was out.

I agree the secondary is  the best unit and biggest improvement over last year.

It's McCoy and it's not even close. 

After Tyrod's 56 yard dumpster fire against New Orleans, Peterman came in a put up better numbers. It was only 5 minutes against a Saints D that was headed for the bus, but he still managed to outplay Tyrod that day. At no point has any RB come in and produced better than McCoy.

The kid also played a great first half in a Blizzard against the Colts -- mostly because of 25.

So the drop-off from Taylor to Peterman isn't anywhere near the drop-off from LeSean McCoy to Mike Tolbert. 

Edited by twoandfourteen

2 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

It's McCoy and it's not even close. 

After Tyrod's 56 yard dumpster fire against New Orleans, Peterman came in a put up better numbers. The kid also played a great first half in a Blizzard against the Colts -- mostly because of 25. 

So the drop-off from Taylor to Peterman isn't anywhere near the drop-off from LeSean McCoy to Mike Tolbert. 

And Shady didnt have any dumpster fires this year? He totaled 26 rushes for a total of 30 yds and zero touchdowns through 2 games in week 2 and 3. Again, thats total. For 2 games.  Basically 1yd per rush attempt over 2 entire games. And we still managed to win the Denver game. 

8 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

And Shady didnt have any dumpster fires this year? He totaled 26 rushes for a total of 30 yds and zero touchdowns through 2 games in week 2 and 3. Again, thats total. For 2 games.  Basically 1yd per rush attempt over 2 entire games. And we still managed to win the Denver game. 

You know what? I stand corrected -- you're right. 

Tolbert had 41 rushing yards against Denver, and McCoy had 21. 

Of course, McCoy also had 7 catches on 7 targets for 48 yards to Tolbert's 0 for 0 in that game. 

He was Tyrod's most target receiver on the year, by the way. Tyrod would have been an even bigger mess this year without McCoy, especially in the passing game. 

Edited by twoandfourteen