Friendly reminder: Turnover differential is King

BADOLBILZ

4 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I bet if you did some analysis of the Bills the last 6 years about games they won the turnover differential but lost it would be eye opening compared to the league as a whole

This year so far in my reference  for this year

Cincy game 

plus 2 in TO Differential 

Bills lost by 4. 

NE Game

plus 1 

Bills smoked 

Edited by MAJBobby

4 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I bet if you did some analysis of the Bills the last 6 years about games they won the turnover differential but lost it would be eye opening compared to the league as a whole

True but the op wants to congratulate Tyrod for the punts.     

Bengals game this year is an excellent one to prove the op’s point ?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

True but the op wants to congratulate Tyrod for the punts.     

Bengals game this year is an excellent one to prove the op’s point ?

The Bengals game definitely comes to mind.  Last years offense would have buried the Bengals.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/21/2017 at 10:02 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

So this was posted on the NFL subreddit yesterday:

Jacksonville, Philadelphia, LA Rams, and Buffalo are the most likely "current playoff teams" to win the Super Bowl based on a shared regular season stat of all Super Bowl winning teams

Did you know that all Super Bowl winning teams have had 23 or more takeaways on defense by the end of the regular season?

The record was 25 defensive takeaways by the end of the regular season until last season when New England broke it by winning the Super Bowl with only 23 takeaways by the end of the regular season

The other playoff teams takeaways stats are: KC: 21, New Orleans: 20, New England: 18, Pittsburgh: 18, Carolina: 18, Minnesota: 17, Tennessee: 16, and Atlanta: 11.

Will this random trend continue or will a team win the Super Bowl with less than 23 defensive takeaways by the end of the regular season?

Posted this info a couple weeks ago. Almost every Super Bowl winner has had 25 defensive takeaways in the regular season. With that, only the Jags, Eagles, Rams, and BILLS qualify to win the SB this year...

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Posted this info a couple weeks ago. Almost every Super Bowl winner has had 25 defensive takeaways in the regular season. With that, only the Jags, Eagles, Rams, and BILLS qualify to win the SB this year...

NE is the favorite again.........and while they don't have that many turnovers defensively what they do have is only 12 giveaways........the 2nd least in the league(thanks to Peterman).

Turnovers are just such a huge, defining stat because as Belichick says........most games are LOST not won.

I don't know if the stat about teams with 100 yard rushers winning almost all the time holds up anymore..........but the turnover stat very broadly does.

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

NE is the favorite again.........and while they don't have that many turnovers defensively what they do have is only 12 giveaways........the 2nd least in the league(thanks to Peterman).

Turnovers are just such a huge, defining stat because as Belichick says........most games are LOST not won.

I don't know if the stat about teams with 100 yard rushers winning almost all the time holds up anymore..........but the turnover stat very broadly does.

Scoring stat does more 

27 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Scoring stat does more 

At the very top, yes.

But the Bills were 7th in scoring thru 15 weeks last year and already eliminated from the playoffs.

I've often compared the Bills offensive potential with Tyrod to that of the Vikings with Randall Cunningham..........give him the horses at WR and he will put big points on the board(Cunningham and Vikings set the NFL record for points in a season which was later eclipsed by the 18-1 Pats team). 

You'll have some years where one stat or the other is more indicative of very good teams but the one that's ALWAYS reliable is turnover related.

38 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

At the very top, yes.

But the Bills were 7th in scoring thru 15 weeks last year and already eliminated from the playoffs.

I've often compared the Bills offensive potential with Tyrod to that of the Vikings with Randall Cunningham..........give him the horses at WR and he will put big points on the board(Cunningham and Vikings set the NFL record for points in a season which was later eclipsed by the 18-1 Pats team). 

You'll have some years where one stat or the other is more indicative of very good teams but the one that's ALWAYS reliable is turnover related.

He isnt good enough. Move on no matter how we want to try and flip stats to support him. Your 20M QB should elevate others game not need All Pros around him to elevate his 

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

He isnt good enough. Move on no matter how we want to try and flip stats to support him. Your 20M QB should elevate others game not need All Pros around him to elevate his 

Bottom line.........not turning the ball over is huge.

Thru 15 games last year....in addition to being the 7th highest scoring team in the NFL......they had the least amount of turnovers by a team in the NFL's SB era.

This year they added guys in the secondary that have a nose for the ball.

Turnovers and the lack thereof are pretty much the story of the 2017 Bills somehow not having a losing record despite one of their weaker, shallower rosters during the drought. 

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bottom line.........not turning the ball over is huge.

Thru 15 games last year....in addition to being the 7th highest scoring team in the NFL......they had the least amount of turnovers by a team in the NFL's SB era.

This year they added guys in the secondary that have a nose for the ball.

Turnovers and the lack thereof are pretty much the story of the 2017 Bills somehow not having a losing record despite one of their weaker, shallower rosters during the drought. 

Scoring TDs is more. Again +2 and +1 in two losses this year. So need to score more

• 2 weeks later...

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Baldo thinks less turnovers are better than points.

He’s just another Cot member who ignores what his eyes are telling him. 

Hopefully he won’t meltdown and attack everyone because he failed at evaluating a piss poor passer again. 

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

He’s just another Cot member who ignores what his eyes are telling him. 

Hopefully he won’t meltdown and attack everyone because he failed at evaluating a piss poor passer again. 

I was at the game yesterday.  Pretty much after every game, I don't have a voice cuz I'm screaming so much.

Our offense was so dead yesterday and I knew that we couldn't come back from 10-3....I didn't have much of anything to cheer.  Still a great time at the stadium, met some really cool members on this board.  The game itself was just a letdown.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I was at the game yesterday.  Pretty much after every game, I don't have a voice cuz I'm screaming so much.

Our offense was so dead yesterday and I knew that we couldn't come back from 10-3....I didn't have much of anything to cheer.  Still a great time at the stadium, met some really cool members on this board.  The game itself was just a letdown.

Pre game looked like a fun time for sure 

9 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Guess this doesn’t work in the playoffs ? 

Yesterday's game ABSOLUTELY proved Badol's point.

Look at the post I made farther up this page that said "Jacksonville, Philadelphia, LA Rams, and Buffalo are the most likely "current playoff teams" to win the Super Bowl based on a shared regular season stat of all Super Bowl winning teams"

Going into the game a number of us said "We need 2 turnovers, and we got this game in the bag". Instead, the Jags who are also good at creating turnovers and have a high number this year, took the ball away from us twice. Those 2 flips of possession were the extra chances they needed to score one more time than we did and win the game.

The reason the Jags were "barely" able to put up more points is because they had more chances. They got those chances from winning the turnover battle. Turnovers are very important.

On 12/30/2017 at 12:36 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

At the very top, yes.

87wQl.gif

• Haha (+1) 2