the TT bashing is just so tiresome

stuvian

14 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

lol, that will happen occasionally....WHEN YOU THROW THE !@#$ING BALL IN THE VICINITY OF A RECEIVER

If you think averaging sixteen INTs a year is "occasionally," your thinking is a bit clouded on the issue. 80 TDs and 64 INTs, that was Fitzy's Buffalo legacy.

Precisely an INT per game. In the modern NFL that was never going to work, and especially not with only that number of TDs.

I liked the guy, same as I like Tyrod. But both were always unlikely to be the answer and their play quickly supported that likelihood.

Again, Tyrod is better than Fitzy, but that's not any badge of honor. 

Edited by Thurman#1

9 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Boom. Who knew a high wonderlic meant something?

lol, that will happen occasionally....WHEN YOU THROW THE !@#$ING BALL IN THE VICINITY OF A RECEIVER

Not good enough recievers will fail when a QB just throws it up for them to win the battle is the case for many of Fitz INTs but he had better recievers after he left so IMO it goes back to the QB not throwing the ball well enough. Tyrod can not read a D like Fitz could, problem is Fitz had trouble throwing correctly. I can see it, I can see it, dam bad throw. Again back to the not good enough problems the Bills have in getting a good enough QB, stay off other teams backup piles, draft your own prospects.

Fitz and Tyrod are backups and not good enough for full season work IMO.

Edited by xRUSHx

On 12/24/2017 at 11:40 PM, Stank_Nasty said:

Mariota is having an awful year. He has more ints than tds and has less tds than Taylor. Just an FYI. 

Yes, but he was a  first round pick so he must be better than Taylor.  Too many of these Taylor bashers don't actually look at how the QBs actually play but only at their draft order and reputations.  Many others only look at their numbers which are often inflated by playing in pass heavy offensive systems.

11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Please. 

I inserted the bold text in your post above.

Fitzy's in Tyrod's neighborhood. Both below average. Both tempting enough to make coaches think they can fix him and thus getting chances (I'm assuming in Tyrod's case) when better options aren't available.

But Tyrod's better than Fitzy. That's not saying much.

I agree, both guys are in the same group -- the delusional "We can win with this guy" tier. 

However, the question was who was better for the Bills in the drought-era? To me, it came down to the two primary responsibility for a QB -- throwing the football and running a functional offense. Fitzpatrick is a much better passer than Tyrod, so to me, he gets the edge. He was at least capable of bringing a team back from behind once in awhile. He went throw-for-throw with Brady once, which is one time more than Taylor. 

Fitzpatrick's fatal flaw was too many turnovers.

Tyrod's fatal flaw is an inability to play the position at the most fundamental level. 

Watching him at NE live it's apparent he is average at best.   He missed so many options on reads leaving guys wise open.  Underthrew basic passes and took unnecessary sacks.   Lacks vision and football IQ 

If we had a step up QB we could have won this game-although the refs were against us too making it hard to beat two teams at once. 

He's incredibly frustrating

23 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Yes, but he was a  first round pick so he must be better than Taylor.  Too many of these Taylor bashers don't actually look at how the QBs actually play but only at their draft order and reputations.  Many others only look at their numbers which are often inflated by playing in pass heavy offensive systems.

IMO

What is wrong with the Tyrod is good enough is they would rather just build around him thinking we will be worse because we can not replace a not good enough QB with at least a not good enough QB.

Truth is IMO is the not good enough QBs are a dime a dozen, sadly  they like to point to all the other positions this team needs, sure we need other position but we also need to try harder to get better at the most important position and the draft is where you start. Without a good enough QB we are stuck in the exact same position. Just because some highly drafted QBs fail doesnt mean they all fail. The best way to find one is to try to get the best ones from that draft class and hope you get that winning ticket. If you do not buy a ticket you will never win.

Taking a bigger project later in the draft makes it that much harder to land a real good one and puts the team back to the not good enough lifestyle of wishing for that miracle to happen and the next to impossible chance at ever finding a franchise worthy QB. Picking QBs from other teams backup piles is a sure fire way to the not good enough to ever end.

Edited by xRUSHx

It really is. 

On 12/24/2017 at 10:37 PM, stuvian said:

Look, I get that TT is not a franchise QB but that doesn`t mean he isn`t good enough for us to win. Does anyone really think we'd be better off with "playoff" QBs like Bortles, Mariota, Foles, Smith or Keenum? Another question to ask is whether we'd be playoff bound with Sammy and Dareus. Just finding the TT bashing very weak when its used as the sole reason we don`t advance. 

56 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Mariota threw 26 tds last season.  

Down year for sure, you can give up on him if you want.    

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's been quiet on the "yardage" front since Tyrod Taylor threw for 80 more yards than Tom Brady yesterday.:lol:

Moving goal posts are awesome!

This board is full of damsels in distress looking for their QB to save them from every other problem/inefficiency in the Bills organization.

As a fan, focus on things you SHOULD EXPECT the team to easily fix.........better gameday coaching,  game planning, second half adjustments, situational football........and getting better on both sides of the LOS thru coaching and wise personnel decisions.......and getting more playmakers to compete in a "matchup" league!

These are all things that EVERY FAN should be able to expect their organization to be doing.

Quarterback greatness is a different story..........there are far too few of those to go around to EXPECT results.......always be trying to get that guy but do the best you can with what you've got.   Bills did not attempt to do that with Tyrod this season.

Getting "great" at QB is a necessity for long term winning.....but to paraphrase McD "this franchise hasn't earned the right" to expect to leapfrog from also-ran to being able to surpass the best team in the NFL or beat them in meaningful games in their building. 

I think that Taylor is adequate to win with if you have a defense like the Jaguars or Broncos.  I am not a Tayor basher, but he is in the bottom 25% of the league starting QBs, in my opinion. 

I agree reed that they could have schemed to his strengths better this year, but I don't think that would have improved his standing against his peers by a lot.  I think the reason that they didn't scheme around him is twofold:

1. They did not really believe that he is their long-term answer and they did want to install their vision of the long-term offense this year so they aren't starting from scratch again next season.

2. Taylor is a good enough athlete and tries hard enough to earn at least 1 year to see if he can play in the version of offense that they want to run, so they gave him that shot.

I like Taylor and his effort, but his ability in the passing game is too much of a liability to allow them to be serious contenders.  Committing to scheme to Taylor's strengths would improve the offense's production some, but would always limit their options.

By no means am I saying that Taylor is the only problem on this offense, but I do believe that they need to try to get better at the QB position if they want to compete.

Well I just watched the game (was travelling so only caught the end of the third & fourth quarters on Sunday).....

What did I see through my rose-coloured glasses?  Lots of conservative play-calling and lousy calls in the redzone.

Taylor threw many nice passes and few bad ones.  Took a bad sack @ 16-16, but not the first one to ever do that.

Then came three runs at 23-16 and again a terrible call on 4th down (50 yard fg).

TT is an okay QB who could be much better in a good offense.

As I've said, draft a QB high, fire Dennison and let him mature.  

If the idea is an open competition between Peterman & Taylor or Peterman to hold the  mantle while a suitable draft choice is groomed with Dennison as the OC, the Bills are doomed.

22 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Wait, so the prior two years didn't answer that question already? 

The guy succeeded before the change in scheme and forcing him into an offense he's not designed for this season and stripped of playmakers. 

I still dont don't understand why he was brought back.

You have low standards. You can keep harping on McBean, which I actually agree with you on. It does not excuse the point that Tyrod is not a NFL starting QB. He just simply cannot read a defense, and make the necessary throws. He makes a fine backup to not lose you a game. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Pretty much how I saw it.... but most fans here would have you believe Tyrod is the worst QB in the league and all the Bills need to do is replace him.... these are the same fans that wanted Trevor Simeon in the offseason.?

I'm all for an upgrade. I've said take a first round QB for the past couple years now, but Bills pass every year..... UNTIL THEY HAVE A BETTER OPTION, take advantage of what Tyrod does best and design an offense around him. McDermott did the opposite.

He is. The Bills have the 32nd ranked passing offense in the league. 

Taylor is statistically the worst starting QB in football when it comes to throwing the football. 

An offense specifically suited to Taylor is the exact opposite of what is successful in the modern NFL. Professional defenses are too fast, too strong. 

So, you could design an offense around his strengths -- lots of read option, designed QB runs, and even fewer passing attempts. You would also lose every game by three touchdowns. 

You could probably make a run at the Section VI AA title, though. 

Edited by twoandfourteen
spelling
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Taylor is statistically the worst starting QB in football when it comes to throwing the football. 

An offense specifically suited to Taylor is the exact opposite of what is successful in the modern NFL. Professional defenses are too fast, too strong. 

So, you could design an offense around his strengths -- lots of read option, designed QB runs, and even fewer passing attempts. You would also lose every game by three touchdowns. 

Agreed he cannot read what is given to him.  He stared down receivers and holds the ball forever.   Even started to run late it seems.  Just don't think he can process information  fast enough. 

This along with some horrid play calling spells trouble.   I understood the first decision to go for it on 4-2.  Didn't agree but understood.  I didn't  understand the 4-1 FG  try instead of going for it.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Yea and Brady missed a # of passes too on Sunday.  Maybe he too should be cut????

If you hate Tyrod little he does will impress you and you will nitpick everything.  

When you know as soon as the Bills line-up the play call, you just shake your head in disbelief.

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yea and Brady missed a # of passes too on Sunday.  Maybe he too should be cut????

If you hate Tyrod little he does will impress you and you will nitpick everything.  

When you know as soon as the Bills line-up the play call, you just shake your head in disbelief.

I actually really like Tyrod. I think he's the consummate professional athlete, not to mention easily one of the most stylish guys around.

It's unfortunate that there is very little in his game that impresses me. Pointing out that he is the QB of the worst passing offense in football is not "nitpicking". 

Also, bringing up Tom Brady is beyond ridiculous. For every one pass Tommy Boy misses, there are at least a dozen that are on the money, perfect throws. Taylor doesn't even play the same sport as Tom Brady. 

I am a firm believer that the play calling is severely hindered by having a bottom 3 starting QB running the show. 

Edited by twoandfourteen
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1