QBs who can play inside the pocket: Alex Smith, Kirk Cousins rank highly

YoloinOhio

I believe the Bills coaching staff wants a QB who can play effectively from inside the pocket in order to mesh with the scheme. There has been discussion and rumor about the team having interest in Kirk cousins and/or Alex Smith in the offseason. Found this pretty interesting to that discussion  ..

• Thank you (+1) 1

I’m still disappointed that we wouldn’t adjust the scheme to fit our talents. We could have a much easier path to the playoffs THIS YEAR if not for the stubbornness. Change schemes when you have the guys to make it work. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m still disappointed that we wouldn’t adjust the scheme to fit our talents. We could have a much easier path to the playoffs THIS YEAR if not for the stubbornness. Change schemes when you have the guys to make it work. 

They've done a little of both out of necessity. Gotta compensate for Tyrod, but also engrain the system into everyone else who will remain with the team.

Anyone know what Tyrod's rating is inside the pocket?

43 minutes ago, Augie said:

Sometimes a scheme can't make a player great. 

28 minutes ago, Augie said:

Changing schemes has little to do with the running qb's struggle with accuracy, eading defenses and going through progressions. You either have an ability to do it or you don't. Blaming the multiple OCs he has played under to adjust to his limitations is a distraction and divergence from the real issue of inherit deficiencies that he has. Teams are adjusting to Taylor by doing their best to contain him and force him to play in a way that he is not comfortable with. The limited book on him is on full display. The running qb has had seven years to add another dimension to his game that would allow him to be a more complete qb. He has not been able to do it. What you now see is what you are going to get. 

Whaley wanted to move on from Taylor. The new regime apparently wants to move on from him. The storyline is baked in: Taylor will not be on the Bills' roster next year. It will be because he simply isn't good enough for an organization that has higher aspirations other than being mediocre. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Woodman19 said:

Sometimes a scheme can't make a player great. 

A scheme will never make a player great, but tweaking it to adjust to the players talents can help put points on the board. We gave up 9 points to the Panthers, and lost by 6. I’d love that game back as we look at our playoff chances. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

Changing schemes has little to do with the running qb's struggle with accuracy, eading defenses and going through progressions. You either have an ability to do it or you don't. Blaming the multiple OCs he has played under to adjust to his limitations is a distraction and divergence from the real issue of inherit deficiencies that he has. Teams are adjusting to Taylor by doing their best to contain him and force him to play in a way that he is not comfortable with. The limited book on him is on full display. The running qb has had seven years to add another dimension to his game that would allow him to be a more complete qb. He has not been able to do it. What you now see is what you are going to get. 

Whaley wanted to move on from Taylor. The new regime apparently wants to move on from him. The storyline is baked in: Taylor will not be on the Bills' roster next year. It will be because he simply isn't good enough for an organization that has higher aspirations other than being mediocre. 

Wow, this about sums it all....

We regressed this year in terms of running the ball and scoring points. That’s all I’m saying. I’d prefer a traditional, winning QB as much as the next guy, but I’d also like to be in the playoffs this year so we can stop hearing about “the drought”. 

48 minutes ago, Augie said:

How do you adjust around a QB who can't throw past the LOS?

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

POST of the month, for sure.

+

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Augie said:

exactly.  if we had last years OC we make the playoffs easily.  DC needed to go.  OC should have stayed.  

1 minute ago, Augie said:

We regressed this year in terms of running the ball and scoring points. That’s all I’m saying. I’d prefer a traditional, winning QB as much as the next guy, but I’d also like to be in the playoffs this year so we can stop hearing about “the drought”. 

This is a rebuilding operation. The team for a variety of reasons  has been stripped of some of its best players. In my view this is an overachieving team. My recommendation to you is not to look back and make comparisons but look to the present and toward the future and see if it is getting better. This was never a quick fix. Rex and the prior regime constructed at best a fringe wild-card contending team. The team that was inherited is being taken apart to be put together in a very different way. I fully agree with that strategy. 

26 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

They've done a little of both out of necessity. Gotta compensate for Tyrod, but also engrain the system into everyone else who will remain with the team.

Anyone know what Tyrod's rating is inside the pocket?

I would like to see TT rating inside the pocket to players OTHER than RB, FB, TE....

How many times this year has TT completed a pass to a RB behind the LOS, which counts as a completed pass AND a loss of net yards?

1 minute ago, Socal-805 said:

How do you adjust around a QB who can't throw past the LOS?

Try to pay attention people: I’m NOT loving on Tyrod, simply pointing out that the previous 2 years we scored plenty of points and ran the ball pretty well. This year? Not so much....

Tyrod’s inability to see the field and go through progressions maddens me as much as the next guy. But you can use him in a way to score more points than we have this year. We just refused to do that because we were married to “a scheme”.  It changed a bit over time when they saw it wouldn’t work, but not enough. Looks to me like an OC who is a one trick pony. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

This is a rebuilding operation. The team for a variety of reasons  has been stripped of some of its best players. In my view this is an overachieving team. My recommendation to you is not to look back and make comparisons but look to the present and toward the future and see if it is getting better. This was never a quick fix. Rex and the prior regime constructed at best a fringe wild-card contending team. The team that was inherited is being taken apart to be put together in a very different way. I fully agree with that strategy. 

In the present, we do not score enough points. That’s all I’m saying. Go to a new scheme when you have the guys who can pull it off. Tyrod isn’t that guy. 

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

A scheme will never make a player great, but tweaking it to adjust to the players talents can help put points on the board. We gave up 9 points to the Panthers, and lost by 6. I’d love that game back as we look at our playoff chances. 

and I'm sure Matt Ryan wants the questionable strip sack back that cost Atl that game.   move on please.  

Edited by 8-8 Forever?

Just now, Augie said:

In the present, we do not score enough points. That’s all I’m saying. Go to a new scheme when you have the guys who can pull it off. Tyrod isn’t that guy. 

I'm not putting all the blame on Taylor. Arguably we have the worst receiving corps in the league. I understand what your point is but I disagree with you that the OC has handcuffed him with the play calling. Taylor is a known commodity to the rest of the league. Defenses adjust to qbs. They do their best to limit what you do well and try to force you to do what you don't do well. As with any player playing any position the opposition is going to adjust to the players' strength and weaknesses. When you are exposed you are exposed with nowhere to hide. 

6 minutes ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

and I'm sure Matt Ryan wants the strip sack back that cost Atl that game.   move on please.  

One point to paint the larger picture. Don’t miss the point yourself. I see it for what it is and am indeed looking forward while recognizing the present. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not putting all the blame on Taylor. Arguably we have the worst receiving corps in the league. I understand what your point is but I disagree with you that the OC has handcuffed him with the play calling. Taylor is a known commodity to the rest of the league. Defenses adjust to qbs. They do their best to limit what you do well and try to force you to do what you don't do well. As with any player playing any position the opposition is going to adjust to the players' strength and weaknesses. When you are exposed you are exposed with nowhere to hide. 

It worked 2 years in a row. (By “worked” I mean we ran the ball and scored points.) In the NFL you are lucky if you can “fool” anyone 2 weeks in a row. What has changed is the OC. I’m not a huge fan of the QB or the OC. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1