Website Ranks All 32 NFL Head Coaches by Data Analysis

They turn their opinions into a grade and then crunch the numbers.  That's not analytics.  That's subjectivity dressed up in numerical data.

(But thanks for sharing 26CB)

1. Play Calling: We grade the quality of the offensive, defensive and special teams play calls, and also determine how well or poorly each head coach makes these play calls within the context of particular situations within a game. Within this factor, we also consider 2-point PAT decisions (e.g., our general rule is that no 2 pt PAT decision should be considered/tried until there are 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter), 4th down decisions, and challenge plays.
  2. Personnel Utilization: We grade how well each head coach utilizes the personnel available to him on the roster. For example, if a particular running back is not a good pass catcher, but a head coach runs a pass play to him on a key 3rd down situation, our conclusion would be the head coach did not do a good job with his personnel on that particular play. This also could, of course, happen on defense. For example, if a head coach has his best pass rusher dropping into coverage too often, perhaps this also may not be prudent given the context of that particular game.
  3. Game Planning: We grade the strategic soundness of the offensive and defensive game plans for each game. We want to determine the efficacy of each team’s strategy as it enters the game, and whether the judgment made by each head coach regarding the path to victory or competitiveness is reasonable and sound.
  4. In-Game Adjustments: One of the most fun aspects of professional football is the ‘chess match’ dynamic, i.e., how well does each competitor respond to the moves of the other? If a defensive end is constantly winning a one-on-one matchup versus an offensive tackle, will the head coach respond by adjusting his offense so that a running back or a tight end ‘chips’ that defensive end? We will grade how well each head coach responds to changing conditions during the game.
  5. Clock Management: The use of time outs, play clock management, and tempo changes – particularly on offense – are critical to proper game management technique by head coaches. These decisions can directly impact winning and losing, and we will grade how well each coach performs in this area.

https://www.headcoachranking.com/hcr/hcr-ranking/

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

They turn their opinions into a grade and then crunch the numbers.  That's not analytics.  That's subjectivity dressed up in numerical data.

(But thanks for sharing 26CB)

1. Play Calling: We grade the quality of the offensive, defensive and special teams play calls, and also determine how well or poorly each head coach makes these play calls within the context of particular situations within a game. Within this factor, we also consider 2-point PAT decisions (e.g., our general rule is that no 2 pt PAT decision should be considered/tried until there are 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter), 4th down decisions, and challenge plays.
  2. Personnel Utilization: We grade how well each head coach utilizes the personnel available to him on the roster. For example, if a particular running back is not a good pass catcher, but a head coach runs a pass play to him on a key 3rd down situation, our conclusion would be the head coach did not do a good job with his personnel on that particular play. This also could, of course, happen on defense. For example, if a head coach has his best pass rusher dropping into coverage too often, perhaps this also may not be prudent given the context of that particular game.
  3. Game Planning: We grade the strategic soundness of the offensive and defensive game plans for each game. We want to determine the efficacy of each team’s strategy as it enters the game, and whether the judgment made by each head coach regarding the path to victory or competitiveness is reasonable and sound.
  4. In-Game Adjustments: One of the most fun aspects of professional football is the ‘chess match’ dynamic, i.e., how well does each competitor respond to the moves of the other? If a defensive end is constantly winning a one-on-one matchup versus an offensive tackle, will the head coach respond by adjusting his offense so that a running back or a tight end ‘chips’ that defensive end? We will grade how well each head coach responds to changing conditions during the game.
  5. Clock Management: The use of time outs, play clock management, and tempo changes – particularly on offense – are critical to proper game management technique by head coaches. These decisions can directly impact winning and losing, and we will grade how well each coach performs in this area.

https://www.headcoachranking.com/hcr/hcr-ranking/

This. 

Nothing wrong with having an opinion, but pretending that your opinion is objective ... and then acting as if the number represents anything but your opinion ... yeah, doesn't make sense. They write up these formal sounding descriptions of what the numbers represent, but they're still just guys standing around saying, "I give him a six for play-calling, how bout you? Eight? Mmmmm. Say 6.8? Sound OK? Aaiiiiiiiight." As it is, it's just their shot at making a splash and sounding analytic.

It's an interesting idea, and thanks, OP for bringing it to our attention, but basically it can't mean much. If a coach with better players makes the same decisions a coach with worse players makes, guess who looks better? It'll just turn out to reward coaches whose teams win and coaches who are famous and thus get the benefit of the doubt that others don't yet deserve.

Edited by Thurman#1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Does that explain Marrone being ranked higher than Tomlin,  Quinn, Lynn, and Carroll?

Fair point, some exceptions but those guys at the top aren't exactly winning with Tyrod or Peterman at the helm are they.

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

For a rookie coach with this roster, I'll take it. 

Also I am so glad we didn't hire Vance Joseph. 

I honestly never understood why some here wanted us to hire him in the first place... 

I thought that his defense was crap his 1 year in Miami, and that was his 1 and only year as a DC. Before that, the highest position he held was defensive backs coach. 

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

This. 

Nothing wrong with having an opinion, but pretending that your opinion is objective ... and then acting as if the number represents anything but your opinion ... yeah, doesn't make sense. They write up these formal sounding descriptions of what the numbers represent, but they're still just guys standing around saying, "I give him a six for play-calling, how bout you? Eight? Mmmmm. Say 6.8? Sound OK? Aaiiiiiiiight." As it is, it's just their shot at making a splash and sounding analytic.

It's an interesting idea, and thanks, OP for bringing it to our attention, but basically it can't mean much. If a coach with better players makes the same decisions a coach with worse players makes, guess who looks better? It'll just turn out to reward coaches whose teams win and coaches who are famous and thus get the benefit of the doubt that others don't yet deserve.

Thurman and I are in agreement.

I noticed that Don Banks is part of HCR and I like Don.  But I can't help imagining a bunch of minimally knowledgeable football journalists hanging around, drinking beer, watching highlights, and saying when they see a QB with too much time to throw, "The D should blitz more" and then assigning a low grade for Game Planning.

What I think would be cool is a talented group of ex-coaches getting together and doing a scouting report on every HC and coordinator in the league - strengths, weaknesses, tendencies, influences,  schemes employed, etc.  

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

This. 

Incorrect: https://www.headcoachranking.com/hcr/hcr-ranking/ 

Of course there is subjectivity in they way these grades are formulated, but they are done so independently.

2 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

i mean, given how it played out, the switch to Peterman certainly should have caused a dip to the low point of the year.  This is garbage.  

As bad as that was there are too many other criteria to base a weekly rating on in their system.