NFL Appeal Process

Irv

Per the CBA, Gronkowski has the right to appeal his suspension.  What bothers me is, where are the rights of the victim?  Is there anything in the CBA that lets White appeal the leniency of the suspension?  I don't think so.   Seems to me the culprit has all the rights in this case and the victim has none.  Needs to change.    Should sue that punk for assault. 

The problem is money is involved, so as soon as the player is losing salary the NFLPA steps in to appeal.  Don't like it either, but that's the way it is.

Only way it changes would be for the majority of the players to ask for change.  And that's kind of what happened the last time when they agreed to give Roger all the power.

28 minutes ago, Badthingsman said:

Per the CBA, Gronkowski has the right to appeal his suspension.  What bothers me is, where are the rights of the victim?  Is there anything in the CBA that lets White appeal the leniency of the suspension?  I don't think so.   Seems to me the culprit has all the rights in this case and the victim has none.  Needs to change.    Should sue that punk for assault. 

I agree. The NFLPA representing the rights of one of their members to seriously injure / threaten the career of another one of their members seems to be wrong. Would be nice if the NFLPA just said "sorry,  Gronk. You done messed up and are on your own.  The punishment is more than fair for the crime you committed (and then admitted to committing)."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Badthingsman said:

Totally agree with this.  The current CBA does ZERO for player safety.  It protects only those who are sanctioned by the league.  There needs to be a mechanisim for White and/or the Bills to protest the ridiculous leniency of the suspension.  

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The problem is money is involved, so as soon as the player is losing salary the NFLPA steps in to appeal.  Don't like it either, but that's the way it is.

Only way it changes would be for the majority of the players to ask for change.  And that's kind of what happened the last time when they agreed to give Roger all the power.

The first part of your response is why the nflpa is a joke.  A guy having to sit out and lose a game paycheck is equivalent to me taking 2 years off of work (probably not accurate but you get my point).

I don't think players should be able to appeal a suspension considering most suspensions that are the result of a play in game, are warranted.

3 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

I agree. The NFLPA representing the rights of one of their members to seriously injure / threaten the career of another one of their members seems to be wrong. Would be nice if the NFLPA just said "sorry,  Gronk. You done messed up and are on your own.  The punishment is more than fair for the crime you committed (and then admitted to committing)."

I totally agree.  But this is one of the marquis, highly marketable white players (and I'm white) in a big market so we get a one game and an appeal.  If this was a black, special teams guy on Jacksonville, it would have been totally different.  Look what happened to Talib and Crabtree if you disagree.  Two guys squaring off is a lot different than an unprovoked assault from an unrepentant d-bag.  NFL and the NFLPA are a joke when it comes to safety.  All about the Franklins. 

Edited by Badthingsman

27 minutes ago, Badthingsman said:

I totally agree.  But this is one of the marquis, highly marketable white players (and I'm white) in a big market so we get a one game and an appeal.  If this was a black, special teams guy on Jacksonville, it would have been totally different.  Look what happened to Talib and Crabtree if you disagree.  Two guys squaring off is a lot different than an unprovoked assault from an unrepentant d-bag.  NFL and the NFLPA are a joke when it comes to safety.  All about the Franklins. 

I'm not ready to buy into the racial aspect of it,  but I think it is likely that the "marketability" of certain players does play a role. 

13 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

I'm not ready to buy into the racial aspect of it,  but I think it is likely that the "marketability" of certain players does play a role. 

I don't think race is a part of it at all ... but I do think your point about marketability is solid.

If this was some scrub TE on the Browns, it wouldn't surprised me if he'd have gotten 4 games.

Gronk is good for the NFL.  The Patriots winning is good for the NFL.  Patriots have a hell of a lot better chance at winning with Gronk on the field.

As far as appeals are concerned, a good point was brought up on Golic and Wingo (weird typing that):  players need to appeal to avoid bad precedents being set.  I get that. 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

The douchbag is the one behind appealing it because he stands to lose $5.5M in incentives.  I hope he does after the suspension stands and AP writers vote Travis Kelce 1st team AP All-Pro at TE.

That's just silly.  He doesn't even spell Kelsay right!

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I don't think race is a part of it at all ... but I do think your point about marketability is solid.

If this was some scrub TE on the Browns, it wouldn't surprised me if he'd have gotten 4 games.

Gronk is good for the NFL.  The Patriots winning is good for the NFL.  Patriots have a hell of a lot better chance at winning with Gronk on the field.

As far as appeals are concerned, a good point was brought up on Golic and Wingo (weird typing that):  players need to appeal to avoid bad precedents being set.  I get that. 

I see your point.  But how can Talib and Crabtree square off in a fair fight and get 2 while Gronk brain stem assaults a helpless opponent well after the play and gets 1?  It can't be all marketability because both Talib and Crabtree are stars in the league.  There's more to it.  

Edited by Badthingsman

2 hours ago, Badthingsman said:

The Marquis de Franklin?

7 hours ago, Badthingsman said:

NFLPA only protects violators not assaulted. 

2 hours ago, Badthingsman said:

I see your point.  But how can Talib and Crabtree square off in a fair fight and get 2 while Gronk brain stem assaults a helpless opponent well after the play and gets 1?  It can't be all marketability because both Talib and Crabtree are stars in the league.  There's more to it.  

I honestly don't know, but it's a great question.  The only thing I can think of is that there's been plenty of 1-on-1, two willing participant, fights on the field - so there's likely a pretty solid precedent set.

Probably the same for Gronk's ... but only if they look at it as "a late hit out of bounds after the play," and nothing more.  What he did was far worse, in my opinion.  But I do think that him being so popular AND on the Patriots led the league to look at it as just another late hit out of bounds.

Here is last year's jersey sales rankings.  Note:  Gronk is #9 in the league.  Neither Talib nor Crabtree made the list.

Top 50 Player Sales List (March 1, 2016 – Feb. 28. 2017)

1. Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Dallas Cowboys

2. Dak Prescott, QB, Dallas Cowboys

3. Tom Brady, QB, New England Patriots

4. Dez Bryant, WR, Dallas Cowboys

5. Odell Beckham Jr., WR, New York Giants

6. Russell Wilson, QB, Seattle Seahawks

7. Carson Wentz, QB, Philadelphia Eagles

8. Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay Packers

9. Rob Gronkowski, TE, New England Patriots

10. Cam Newton, QB, Carolina Panthers

11. Antonio Brown, WR, Pittsburgh Steelers

12. Jason Witten, TE, Dallas Cowboys

13. J.J. Watt, DE, Houston Texans

14. Von Miller, LB, Denver Broncos

15. Tony Romo, QB, Dallas Cowboys

16. Derek Carr, QB, Oakland Raiders

17. Khalil Mack, LB, Oakland Raiders

18. Todd Gurley, RB, Los Angeles Rams

19. Amari Cooper, WR, Oakland Raiders

20. Julio Jones, WR, Atlanta Falcons

21. Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Pittsburgh Steelers

22. Julian Edelman, WR, New England Patriots

23. Luke Kuechly, LB, Carolina Panthers

24. Richard Sherman, DB, Seattle Seahawks

25. Jordy Nelson, WR, Green Bay Packers

26. Le’Veon Bell, RB, Pittsburgh Steelers

27. Clay Matthews, LB, Green Bay Packers

28. Eli Manning, QB, New York Giants

29. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Arizona Cardinals

30. Marcus Mariota, QB, Tennessee Titans

31. Drew Brees, QB, New Orleans Saints

32. Matt Ryan, QB, Atlanta Falcons

33. Andrew Luck, QB, Indianapolis Colts

34. Jameis Winston, QB, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

35. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Minnesota Vikings

36. NaVorro Bowman, LB, San Francisco 49ers

37. DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Houston Texans

38. A.J. Green, WR, Cincinnati Bengals

39. Kirk Cousins, QB, Washington Redskins

40. Jared Goff, QB, Los Angeles Rams

41. Demaryius Thomas, WR, Denver Broncos

42. Jarvis Landry, WR, Miami Dolphins

43. Tyler Lockett, WR, Seattle Seahawks

44. Harrison Smith, S, Minnesota Vikings

45. Matthew Stafford, QB, Detroit Lions

46. Stefon Diggs, WR, Minnesota Vikings

47. Kam Chancellor, S Seattle Seahawks

48. Brandon Marshall, WR, New York Jets

49. Doug Baldwin, WR, Seattle Seahawks

50. Alshon Jeffery, WR, Chicago Bears

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I honestly don't know, but it's a great question.  The only thing I can think of is that there's been plenty of 1-on-1, two willing participant, fights on the field - so there's likely a pretty solid precedent set.

Probably the same for Gronk's ... but only if they look at it as "a late hit out of bounds after the play," and nothing more.  What he did was far worse, in my opinion.  But I do think that him being so popular AND on the Patriots led the league to look at it as just another late hit out of bounds.

Here is last year's jersey sales rankings.  Note:  Gronk is #9 in the league.  Neither Talib nor Crabtree made the list.

Good point!  I was at the game on Sunday.  20% were Pats fans and it was split 50-50 jerseys for Gronk and Brady.  I don't think I saw more than one or two other nameplates.  My brother-in-law and I joked about how many Bills fans  were wearing jerseys of players who were not on the team anymore. After the retired players like Kelly, Freddie, Thurman, and gulp.....OJ......the rest were about 90%: 

Dareus

Gilmore

Watkins

Lynch

It's interesting.  

Edited by Badthingsman

22 hours ago, Gugny said:

After further review I have concluded that less people are buying Raiders gear in Oakland because they are leaving and they are all too high in Denver to buy a jersey.   

• Haha (+1) 1

I believe the reason he only got one game is because the Pats play the Steelers in 2 weeks.  You know the NFL would never punish the Pats in any way for a meaningful game.  I'd be willing to bet money that if the Pats were playing the Steelers this week instead, Gronks appeal process would have taken much longer and he would have been allowed to play this week and then been suspended for the following week. I truly believe that.