Mcdermott is a spineless coach

Yeezus

I thought McDermott handled it fine. 

He addressed it directly with the head honcho of the Patriots - Belichick - at the end of the game. That's how a man should handle it IMO. You don't need to yell and scream and try to fight someone. You discuss it like a mature adult with the person in charge. 

He also addressed it with the refs, and I'm guessing that he will address it directly with the league as well. 

And in his post game presser he said he wasn't happy with it and there's no room for stuff like that in this game. 

I thought he handled it in a classy way and I really don't get what the issue is. 

Id much rather have a coach handle it like McDermott did, than have him acting like that buffoon Rex Ryan... 

3 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

McVay: Stacked team with a first overall QB that was held back by Fisher. All he had to do was walk in and let the offense do what it was supposed to do. They have so many weapons that it was impossible to not do well. 

Marrone: Same thing. Years of high picks have stacked their team. 

What do we have? 

We gave away some very good players that we could’ve kept till the end of the year. This coach and  his clown GM are clueless and the owner is asleep at the wheel.

The owner needs to bring in a football  guru. 

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

He addressed it directly with the head honcho of the Patriots - Belichick - at the end of the game. That's how a man should handle it IMO. You don't need to yell and scream and try to fight someone. You discuss it like a mature adult with the person in charge. 

He also addressed it with the refs, and I'm guessing that he will address it directly with the league as well. 

And in his post game presser he said he wasn't happy with it and there's no room for stuff like that in this game. 

I thought he handled it in a classy way and I really don't get what the issue is. 

Id much rather have a coach handle it like McDermott did, than have him acting like that buffoon Rex Ryan... 

I think there is an in-between. He could have showed more emotion without being immature. I think what fans are taking issue with, myself included, is that he didn't seem pissed or fired up. 

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I thought the OP was going to be about how McD is conservative and doesn't take chances in a football sense.

All of that is true; he is very normal and very conservative as a HC.

His challenge today was terrible too; Tony Romo had the whole thing calculated, correctly, in a few seconds as the play played out in real time.  The basic point being that it was very clear no Bill was in the backfield to have made the contact with Brady, so he could not have been down by contact.

Not really sure why that would have been challenged.

He wanted an intentional grounding call since Brady was not outside the tackle box

2 hours ago, Fan boy '92 said:

Here's to the over reaction of the year post. Did you or did you not watch McDermott's defense hold Tom Brady to the least amount of production, really anyone thought was possible. 

Despite a nice game plan by the OC, the offense just failed to execute. But...  zone blocking is a great scheme, just not with a power gap team. That's what the OC knows. A. Lynn was smart enough to keep Roman's run game in place. 

I'm sorry but you can't call a game in which you had only 3 points a good game plan. Sure his scripted plays seemed to do ok, but the game plan entails more than that imo and it just petered out and produced absolutely nothing.

4 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Rex BS'd all the time.  "Get ready for the playoffs, 'cause we're coming"  Sure Rex, not even close.

McDermott is in year 1 and in process of shaping his vision, which is refreshing...a coach with a vision.  Rex never had a vision, he was just fully pregnant, whatever that meant.

Does McDermott make mistakes?  Sure, he's a rookie HC.  But he doesn't mismanage the game like Rex did.  Bad challenges, a few.  But at least McD is situationally aware.

Getting rid of McD would set this team back even further.

Out of curiosity, who would you propose as HC?

I agree with you that we should give McD some rookie mistake patience, but so far I would grade him as an excellent team leader and motivator, and a poor game manager.  We've seen things like 10 men on the defense against Atlanta on a critical play, and quite a few time management/situational struggles.   

I like him a lot, and he's the kind of guy that will learn and improve, but he's definitely a rookie HC and I don't think Dennison is doing him any favors.

58 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

(1) Why are people all over the OP here? I'm upset McDermott didn't show more emotion about what happened. He should have been visibly pissed at the refs when it happened, at Belichick during the post-game handshake, and when asked about it during his post-game press conference. Same with the players - no one did anything. It's weak. Not how a family is supposed to support one another. 

(2) Is intentional grounding review-able in that situation where Brady threw it while going down? I sincerely do not know. Clearly had no chance of getting a sack call there because no Bill had touched him. 

1.) After the game when McD and BB met midfield McD brought the hit up and BB apologized.

2.) No penalty in the NFL is reviewable, called or not called.

Just now, Real McCoy said:

1.) After the game when McD and BB met midfield McD brought the hit up and BB apologized.

(1) Okay, he brought it up. Did he show emotion? At any point? Nope. McDermott not showing any emotion and Brown and Pitts standing there after White got 265 pounds to the back of his neck shows this team is no "family". 

(2) Thank you. I didn't think so, but wasn't sure. Bad challenge then. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Good Post

McDermott is a lot smarter than some of you people give him credit for.. He handled it perfectly and voiced his displeasure with BB. If anything goes on in the game in Foxboro McD is blameless............

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I think there is an in-between. He could have showed more emotion without being immature. I think what fans are taking issue with, myself included, is that he didn't seem pissed or fired up. 

I can understand that. I still think he handled it properly. He's trying to build a smart, well disciplined football team and as the leader you can't be flying off the handle if you don't want your team following suit. 

You've ve heard the post game victory speeches. He tells all his players to be humble and always show respect to the other team when talking to the media. 

Also, we have no idea how much emotion he showed behind the scenes. He could call the NFL and go ballistic and we'd never know. McDermott just isn't the type to air his dirty laundry to the press. 

If you haven't noticed by now, he's not the type of coach who is going to voice his displeasure  (with anything) to the media. He's very bland when addressing them. Reminds me a lot of Belichick in that regard. BB doesn't lose his cool on the sidelines or to the media either. But if you think that means he doesn't show passion behind the scenes, then you'd be wrong. He's very passionate. But he keeps it behind closed doors. IMO McDermott seems to be the same way. 

2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

He brought up the play by thanking him for not putting gronkowski back out on the field. That's all he did. I'm not proud of that or respect that at all. Thanking him for not putting him back out? That's a complete hs or college football move in my opinion

5 hours ago, popcornpam said:

We gave away some very good players that we could’ve kept till the end of the year. This coach and  his clown GM are clueless and the owner is asleep at the wheel.

The owner needs to bring in a football  guru. 

I agree on the players.  If they were more patient with Watkins, opted in on his 5th year and he was not injured, as is the case so far, he could've helped this team a lot.  Ragland was traded when his value was the lowest and they should've waited until they could've got more in trade for Dareus, especially since they have no replacement.

So, they took a team that had a potent rushing attack, screwed it up by changing the blocking scheme, and further weakened an already below average receiving group.  Defensively, the safeties were improved but the poor run defense hasn't been fixed and the pass rush has been weak.  

• Like (+1) 1