'Inside the NFL' : The Perception of Belichick Around the League

9 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

Don't forget, Montana also played in the era that you could actually hit the QB. He also didn't have all these rules favoring the passing offense.

Different eras different styles of football why it's hard say who is the greatest ever. I think Brady and BB should be in the argument but def the best in the NFL since 2000, and HC is getting god awful in the NFL.

Hoodie and Brady are the GOAT period, not just in the NFL but all pro sports.

Yes it sucks as Bills fans to have to watch this given our own circumstances the last 17 years and the Pats being in the same division but we'll never see something like this again and it has to be respected no matter how much you love or hate the Patriots.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

I know the format. It was what it was.  PB/OG teams would have dominated irrespective of the format.  

I disagree, they would be good. It football isn't the same game now as then. I think we should stick to greatest of their generation type titles. 

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Wait the 49ers were cheaters too. Jerry Rice admitted to it.  That said  different eras and I hate comparing them.

brady has taken the Pats to 7 SB in 14 years! (Not counting this year or year out injured) I say he deserves his place in the argument as best ever as 50% of the time your in the SB with him is shocking. Add in I think 11 AFC Championship games . That's almost 80%!!!  I mean these number for TB/BB are scary. 

Good arguments, but I'm also looking at the domination factor.  The 49er's great teams faced stiffer competition within their conference while NE benefited greatly from a pathetic AFC East.  They have also never crushed an opponent in a SB as I stated earlier. 

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I disagree, they would be good. It football isn't the same game now as then. I think we should stick to greatest of their generation type titles. 

I'm not crossing eras, but instead looking at domination within an era. 

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

Different eras different styles of football why it's hard say who is the greatest ever. I think Brady and BB should be in the argument but def the best in the NFL since 2000, and HC is getting god awful in the NFL.

The thing is, every football coach today is in Paul Brown's "coaching tree." He changed the job, and the way football is coached, irrevocably . He was even using a crude form of analytics. Also, starting in his AAFC days, he had black players when no other professional sport had any. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Good arguments, but I'm also looking at the domination factor.  The 49er's great teams faced stiffer competition within their conference while NE benefited greatly from a pathetic AFC East.  They have also never crushed an opponent in a SB as I stated earlier. 

Your right they never crushed an opponent.  The 49ers also had the same team year in and year out while the only constant on all 7 pats teams is Brady and BB.  Would they have been so dominant with FA and losing say Rice or Clark or any of their unsung D heros in FA?  We don't know because they didn't have to deal with it. Would the Pats have crushed teams with a stable lineup and growing better every year? We don't know. 

24 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm not crossing eras, but instead looking at domination within an era. 

Montana and Walsh had the benefit of a pretty solid and stable offensive roster year after year.  Montana (backed by Young), Rice, Clark, Craig year after year, plus some legendary defensive players.  6 HOF players from that stretch.  3 SBs for BW/JM.

When he is done, who will be the greatest WRs that Brady played with for more than a year or two?  Which RBs?  Who are the future HOFers? Brady has thrown TDs to 67 different receivers.  Montana to 36.

BB and TB have 5 SB wins with wildly different lineups.  The pats regularly jettison top players and just keep rolling on in an era of free agency nothing like what existed 30 years ago.

JM won a SB with Seifert.  So did Young.

Luke-warm take: Neither BB or TB go on to be successful alone. They need each other. TB has the tools, mental processing, competitiveness to run BBs style of offense. BB needs Brady to executive/adapt to complex and ever-changing styles of play. If TB is on another team, he's a decent QB, but he struggles through coaching changes, scheme changes, and coaches forcing him to play to his weaknesses sometimes. He ends up being more an Eli or Joe F. If BB doesn't have TB, he's still a good coach, but not dominant. Probably cycles through 2-4 QBs in his career that all produce varying levels of success. Perhaps he wins 1-2 Super Bowls still. 

Edited by quinnearlysghost88
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

Pretty brash statement coming from a pats***** fan. So why not post  up a link with your trash talk here. 

OMG  they used sticum when he was playing he said that when bashing Brady during deflategate. When they all went " that was illegal" he shut up. 

That said im not getting into that rabbit hole on cheating,

Extremely tough to argue that any other combo aside from TB/BB are the best of all time. But someone mentioning how combos like BW/JM played/coached in different eras that didn't favor QBs and the passing game so much is interesting to think about. Would TB have thrived in that era? Who knows.

For me, the thing with Belichick is that it's hard not to respect him as an all-time great coach... but there will always be some dark clouds associated with his name. Obviously the Spygate and Deflategate things. Now, people can call it straight up cheating but I don't know how much of an effect it had in actual games. What I do feel is that Belichick doesn't get the benefit of the doubt with this stuff because he's pushed the envelope and stepped over the line too many times for it to be just coincidence or ignorance of certain rules. His competitive fire is so intense that he'll push things as far as possible to win. And he's all business, which I'm certain can be a cold reality for players that played for him for a long time only to be shipped out and see their careers end in New England with a deadpan 30-second conversation of, "Player, you've been traded to Oakland, see Pete for more information, thank you for your time." Or, "Player, we're gonna move on and cut you from this team, best of luck, leave your playbook."

But the thing that makes him a great pure football coach is the fact that he prepares for EVERYTHING. And he doesn't really hold his offenses or defenses to certain schemes. They morph and adjust week to week depending on the opponent. One week they can look like a run-first team with a complimentary passing game. The next week they tell Brady to air it out 50 times. Defensively it's the same. He just gets his players to be so versatile and prepared that they can pull these things off. It's crazy. Don't know of many coaches that can or will be able to do that.

1 minute ago, keepthefaith said:

I don't think Montana is even the best ever to play for the 49ers. 

Agree, that's Jerry Rice who is hands down the best WR ever.

Not a knock on Montana by any means as he's certainly a top 5 QB of all time but Jerry Rice truly one of the best players ever at any position.