Bowl skipping for draft prospects has begun

YoloinOhio

It's a growing and troubling trend.  After U of O's massacre of Oregon State on Saturday, Royce Freeman refused to say if he would play in the Ducks' bowl game.  I wonder who will be the first player to refuse to play in a playoff game.   

42 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Not surprising.  Top flight prospects take out insurance - if they get hurt they get paid.  In theory they have no money to do so but “somehow” it happens.  I used to know someone who worked on underwriting such policies.

The schools actually pay for these insurance policies in most cases. Additionally, once a player officially declares the agents will front them money and just get it on the back end. 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The schools actually pay for these insurance policies in most cases. Additionally, once a player officially declares the agents will front them money and just get it on the back end. 

Bryce Love, the running back from Stanford, should not play in a bowl game when the season is finished. He has been playing with a high ankle sprain for most of the season. He has been gutting it out and playing with a lot of pain. He is a terrific player and person. I would hate to see him further damage that already injured ankle and jeopardize his pro career. That type of sprain takes a long time to heal. 

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Bryce Love, the running back from Stanford, should not play in a bowl game when the season is finished. He has been playing with a high ankle sprain for most of the season. He has been gutting it out and playing with a lot of pain. He is a terrific player and person. I would hate to see him further damage that already injured ankle and jeopardize his pro career. That type of sprain takes a long time to heal. 

I agree 100%. I thought that I’d hate the sitting out of bowl games but I don’t. The Jaylon Smith injury sort of changed my perspective on it. 3 weeks of practice and then a game is a lot of risk for a top prospect. What if they suffer a Tannehill or Bridgewater injury in practice? What if they take a McGahee hit in the game? It’s not worth t for the Bell Bowl.

29 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree 100%. I thought that I’d hate the sitting out of bowl games but I don’t. The Jaylon Smith injury sort of changed my perspective on it. 3 weeks of practice and then a game is a lot of risk for a top prospect. What if they suffer a Tannehill or Bridgewater injury in practice? What if they take a McGahee hit in the game? It’s not worth t for the Bell Bowl.

You bring up a very provocative issue. Is it different for a qb to sit out a bowl game for fear of injury compared to the rest of the positions? If a qb sits out a bowl game it is more likely to have a major affect on the offense. That profound effect from a player playing the other positions is much less when compared to a qb sitting out. Another related issue is if a top tier LT prospect sits out and a much lesser player plays in his place is the qb prospect then placed in greater jeopardy bringing up the issue of sitting out for the qb? 

The bottom line for me is that in a high stakes business and a high risk profession I'm not going to criticize a decision a player makes for his own best interest. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

Coaching jobs may under certain situations be put at risk due to top flight players dropping out of Bowl games.  While it is unlikely that a Bowl game loss on its own will be enough to end a coach’s job, it may serve as another “straw.”  Most of these guys have very tenuous holds on the jobs to begin with.  Fan and booster impatience escalates quickly.  

On another note, while school loyalists will proabably buy tickets and watch the games if enough star players refuse to play there could be impact to the economics of Bowl games.

They have to protect their careers.  The draft process is an enormous one.  Sitting out of the combine with an injury can cost a prospect a lot of money.  I don't blame them for missing one game to help set themselves up.  Now if the player isn't hurt, then questions may arise but with an injury it's just smart thinking by them.

18 hours ago, JohnC said:

If you're hurt why play the year but then skip the bowl.

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

If you're hurt why play the year but then skip the bowl.

He was playing hurt for most of the season. The reason why he would consider skipping the bowl is to heal and be ready for the draft preparations. If he further injures his ankle and is not ready to work out and demonstrate his abilities prior to the draft It would definitely affect his draft status. That would obviously cause him to lose a substantial amount of money. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bowls only have two functions.

1)  About 6 must see games of the 100 or so.

2)  You have to have a game on mute so you can stare at the screen waiting for all the uninvited guests in your living room to FINALLY go home, hopefully they left some of your booze and chocolates.

9 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Bowls only have two functions.

1)  About 6 must see games of the 100 or so.

2)  You have to have a game on mute so you can stare at the screen waiting for all the uninvited guests in your living room to FINALLY go home, hopefully they left some of your booze and chocolates.

Haha true... so many bowl games are background for holiday parties... though if you don’t want to make a small talk you can pretend to be really interested in the game!

Edited by YoloinOhio

O/u players skipping bowls for draft prep 9.5

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Haha true... so many bowl games are background for holiday parties... though if you don’t want to make a small talk you can pretend to be really interested in the game!

Or just become a degenerate gambler!! Bowl season is the most wonderful time of the year. I like Troy -5.5 in the first bowl game!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.