Still a lot of hating on McDermott after a win...

27 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

After Peterman was benched the Bills and Chargers both scored 17 in the 2nd half. 

I agree with you that if Taylor starts the game the Bills have a chance to win. For anyone to say anything different is ridiculous. 

That one game may cost this team a playoff spot. If that happens, that's a fireable offense. 

hahaha I said the exact same thing in another thread. Fireable offense.

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

We covered their number one receiver with a combination of Humber and Lorax most of the game.  After Allen had already torched us for 100+ yards and one TD, we eventually put Leonard Johnson on him.    Keenan was limited to 40 yards and only one TD after McD and Frazier caught on.  Those are the kind of late 3rd quarter adjustments that win super bowls. 

The Quarterback 3rd quarter adjustment was genius too, totally changed the game.

34 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

After Peterman was benched the Bills and Chargers both scored 17 in the 2nd half. 

I agree with you that if Taylor starts the game the Bills have a chance to win. For anyone to say anything different is ridiculous. 

That one game may cost this team a playoff spot. If that happens, that's a fireable offense. 

I prefer to think of it as a learning experience. We’ve done enough “quick firing” in recent decades. Maybe we wait and see how it plays out? 

30 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

This team has many eerie similarities to Jauron's 2008 Bills team.....

Both teams started 5-2 and were 5-5 before winning in a game in KC to snap a losing streak.

Both teams had a QB that checks down and has misleading numbers that make outsiders believe he's a quality starter.

Both teams had classic 'bend but don't break' defenses that would rely on TO's and holding teams to FG's to limit points.

Both teams had horrendous offensive coordinators.

At least with McD he has a chance to change all this but early returns aren't promising that's for sure.

I can agree with all of this with the exception of the bolded.

I honestly think McD is doing a whole lot more with a whole lot less talent-wise (which is a good thing).  We have decent players on both offense and defense but no one outside of Shady that is really a game breaker and he's had somewhat of a down year.  I think once he gets another draft/FA under him this team should start to develop into what he invisions.

As for Dennison, i think he's going to continue to call bad games.  His time in Denver was less about him/Manning and more about the defense that they had.

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

I honestly think McD is doing a whole lot more with a whole lot less talent-wise (which is a good thing).  We have decent players on both offense and defense but no one outside of Shady that is really a game breaker and he's had somewhat of a down year.  I think once he gets another draft/FA under him this team should start to develop into what he invisions.

As for Dennison, i think he's going to continue to call bad games.  His time in Denver was less about him/Manning and more about the defense that they had.

My biggest concern with McD is whether or not he'll change his coaching style. Because even with better players/talent, I don't like his style of coaching and at the very least an OC change needs to be made because I don't want Dennison around Peterman or any other future QB we bring here. And yes even in Denver his offenses weren't great and Manning probably looked much worse than he was because of it even though age got the better of him unlike Brady right now.

15 minutes ago, SoTier said:

"It's time to try see if this rookie QB drafted on Day Three is the next Tom Brady," said no NFL HC ever with his team having a winning record and a piece of the playoffs, especially when his rookie QB was as unready for a pro start as Peterman appeared to be.

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I prefer to think of it as a learning experience. We’ve done enough “quick firing” in recent decades. Maybe we wait and see how it plays out? 

To repeat SoTier, I challenge you to give me a single precedent for a move like that. And if it exists did it work? And no, Tom Brady and Kaepernick don't count, they were relieving injured QBs. 

That's not a learning experience, that is utter incompetence.

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

Who has this franchise "quick fired"? The answer is literally no one (not as far as Head Coaches are concerned). Nothing States that you have to commit to someone for multiple years, especially if that guy has proven that he is incompetent or flat out not ready for his position. 

McD has yet to prove that he has any idea what he is actually doing. From gutting the roster of the most talented players to his horrendous hires for his assistant coaches to his lack of in game management. The benching of Taylor at 5-4 was the most astounding. Especially using hindsight. 

If this team misses the playoffs by 1 game, the pitchforks and torches should be out in full force. 

Edited by Theshallowcross

6 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

My biggest concern with McD is whether or not he'll change his coaching style. Because even with better players/talent, I don't like his style of coaching and at the very least an OC change needs to be made because I don't want Dennison around Peterman or any other future QB we bring here. And yes even in Denver his offenses weren't great and Manning probably looked much worse than he was because of it even though age got the better of him unlike Brady right now.

I don't know if his coaching style will change but he's only 11 games into his first HC job so I'll give him time to work out the kinks.

OC is definitely a problem but when you have a QB that won't risk throws and a QB that takes risks on every throw, we really don't know what we got.  Need that happy medium.

As for Brady, doesn't matter who the OC is.  That guy sits in the booth drinking PBR all game while Brady does the work.

4 hours ago, mannc said:

I'm not quite sure what you're talking about, but a lot of people weren't too happy with the playcalling on the last possession--no effort to even make a first down, much less score.  Yes, we won, but a lot of folks are tired of play-not-to-lose Jauronball and recognize that it will at some point cost us a game.  And it's boring.    

When you have lost your last three games, playing on the road protecting your 6 point lead, and your defense is playing better than the offense, it is OK to be conservative.   Your offense had zero points and 50 yards of offense in the 2nd half. The Chiefs had adjusted.

4 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

Who has this franchise "quick fired"? The answer is literally no one (not as far as Head Coaches are concerned). Nothing States that you have to commit to someone for multiple years, especially if that guy has proven that he is incompetent or flat out not ready for his position. 

McD has yet to prove that he has any idea what he is actually doing. From gutting the roster of the most talented players to his horrendous hires for his assistant coaches to his lack of in game management. The benching of Taylor at 5-4 was the most astounding. Especially using hindsight. 

If this team misses the playoffs by 1 game, the pitchforks and torches should be out in full force. 

Other than having a team most everyone predicted would be horrible occupying a playoff spot right now, of course.

15 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I recall that there was some issues as well with manning on some of the time at how they wanted to  use him that season...

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Other than having a team most everyone predicted would be horrible occupying a playoff spot right now, of course.

Preseason prognostications mean very little. Teams every single year either over shoot or under shoot their projections. 

The Bills had a top 10 offense for the past 2 seasons. All the new coach had to do was fix the defense by going back to a 43 base. Literally every coach interviewed would have made that change. 

The offense has regressed because of the level of talent around the QB, the poor play calling and the unnecessary offensive scheme change. If Anthony Lynn would have been offered the job, this team is probably 8-3 at worst right now. 

3 minutes ago, JPP said:

I recall that there was some issues as well with manning on some of the time at how they wanted to  use him that season...

I do too.  Something along the lines of telling Manning to "take his time" but really wanted to play a different QB.

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

I do too.  Something along the lines of telling Manning to "take his time" but really wanted to play a different QB.

yeah Dennison is quite frightening......well im  hoping he actually tries to pull something out his arse against this team instead of the same ol same ol typical calling........

3 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

Preseason prognostications mean very little. Teams every single year either over shoot or under shoot their projections. 

The Bills had a top 10 offense for the past 2 seasons. All the new coach had to do was fix the defense by going back to a 43 base. Literally every coach interviewed would have made that change. 

The offense has regressed because of the level of talent around the QB, the poor play calling and the unnecessary offensive scheme change. If Anthony Lynn would have been offered the job, this team is probably 8-3 at worst right now. 

Sure Lynn would have.  Because you think so, right?  Or perhaps you have no clue.

Like any coach McD makes good and bad decisions.  Yesterday the three running plays were to me ridiculous.  But it worked out.  The call for Peterman was as he said a calculated risk, and it did not work.  But they also have put together pretty solid defensive schemes overall.  And while you refuse to admit it, this team was not expected to do squat and he has them in the top six in the conference.

We finally have a HC and GM totally in synch and with a plan, and you want to fire the HC.  Well then, fire Marrone for his call yesterday.  Carroll for his bad decision the week before.  Give me enough time and I'll make a case to fire every current HC based on a decision made this year that did not pan out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Sure Lynn would have.  Because you think so, right?  Or perhaps you have no clue.

Like any coach McD makes good and bad decisions.  Yesterday the three running plays were to me ridiculous.  But it worked out.  The call for Peterman was as he said a calculated risk, and it did not work.  But they also have put together pretty solid defensive schemes overall.  And while you refuse to admit it, this team was not expected to do squat and he has them in the top six in the conference.

We finally have a HC and GM totally in synch and with a plan, and you want to fire the HC.  Well then, fire Marrone for his call yesterday.  Carroll for his bad decision the week before.  Give me enough time and I'll make a case to fire every current HC based on a decision made this year that did not pan out.

Bravo sir, bravo!

1 hour ago, SaviorPeterman said:

While I'd love to be wrong, I think what happened yesterday was merely one bad team outlasting another bad team.

aka Bills football this decade 

48 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yet we have a QB who led an offense who set the franchise record for least turnovers in a season and an almost NFL record if not for EJ Manual in week 17. 

Your logic makes 0 sense. If anything they shouldn't play Jauron ball because of who the QB is. 

Bring back that schedule. Let's blow out the 49ers and pretend we are good at the end of the year again with 7 wins.  ??‍♂️

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The only reason this team had such a low preseason projection was because the same Coach and GM that you speak so highly of gutted the roster of all the best players. 

I'd be happy to wax philosophical about the failings of the current regime of which there have already been many in their short time in charge. 

Edited by Theshallowcross
  • Sad 1