Kaelin Clay - Remember this guy?

cale

We traded for him and then cut him. The team that traded him to us then signed him again. And got more production out of him then we did. We now traded for another one of their WRs. Wonder how that's gonna turn out?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000883084/Kaelin-Clay-hits-spin-move-and-turbo-on-60-yard-punt-return-TD

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, cale said:

That our staff needs to do better with what we have.

Are you implying that they should have made him punt returner when he was here?  We already have a pretty good one-Tate (aside from that mistake today!).  Or are you saying that they should have used him more as a WR?  He seemed like a really lackluster receiver and he hasn't done much in Carolina (receiving wise) since

Their mistake, imo, was trading for the guy in the first place (giving up a decent player too in the process).  Not in their usage of him

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

You’re griping about Kaelin Clay after a win?  Is he really better than Brandon Tate?  Great for the kid and his punt return TD, but if you must complain after a loss...this is it?  Good grief...

I'd take Tate over Clay all day

Wait a minute. Now I get it. I did a little research and I see where your coming from and I totally agree. If we add his 2 receptions for 33 yards this year plus the 60 yard punt return he had today wed be on the road to 19-0. Excellent post OP. If the pizza delivery job doesnt work out you should really consider a career as an NFL GM. Heck. You couldnt do any worse any GM weve had the past 17 years.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, THEHARDTRUTH said:

Wait a minute. Now I get it. I did a little research and I see where your coming from and I totally agree. If we add his 2 receptions for 33 yards this year plus the 60 yard punt return he had today wed be on the road to 19-0. Excellent post OP. If the pizza delivery job doesnt work out you should really consider a career as an NFL GM. Heck. You couldnt do any worse any GM weve had the past 17 years.

28 of those 35 receiving yards came while he was in Buffalo, so I guess we did get good use out of him.  This thread is just dumb.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, cale said:

We traded for him and then cut him. The team that traded him to us then signed him again. And got more production out of him then we did. We now traded for another one of their WRs. Wonder how that's gonna turn out?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000883084/Kaelin-Clay-hits-spin-move-and-turbo-on-60-yard-punt-return-TD

You mean his 1 rush for 29 yards?

2 hours ago, THEHARDTRUTH said:

Man, my bad. Most of the people on this board would have been able to get at what I meant. But for those unable to connect the dots…let me help.

This staff is throwing stuff at the wall at hopes it sticks. The only thing they’re sure of is that they don’t want the guys they didn’t draft to remain in Buffalo. Even if they are talented. I’m pretty sure Tyrod, as much as he is a fit for this team right now, is gone by next season. I honestly don’t have of a problem with that as long as they have a better option in the wings. But I’m also pretty sure, this administration, will look for all kinds of excuses to ship out McCoy as well. 

Conversely, if they drafted or brought a guy in either while here or in Carolina, the guy gets more than the benefit of the doubt until he craps the bed. Take Zay Jones and Mike Tolbert. They used the same “process” to ship out:

Watkins

Woods

Gillislee

Gimore

Dareus

Williams (Denver, now Saints)

They’re also using the same thought process on Tyrod (which is TT isn’t productive so we need someone else in there). The truth is TT isn’t productive in *this* system. Dennison should be coaching for his life. Today’s win shouldn’t change any of that. Not having Miller and Reilly in there is also criminal.

But in either case, regardless of whether they bring someone in or let them go, they are unable to maximize the guy’s potential.

Kaelin Clay is an example of that. He was signed by Beane while he was in Carolina. So they traded Kevon Seymour, a solid DB for Clay. That should have never happened. All the while having Brandon Reilly in the wings. But while they had Clay they were unable to utilize him in an optimal/productive way. We can argue as to how productive he’s been at Carolina. But there is little doubt that the Panthers staff has gotten more out of him than our staff.

So we gave up a DB and lost a WR, maybe a marginally productive one, but it’s still dumb.

The “Process” should look at how the systems they’ve installed are not being productive or getting the most of the players. Both on offense and defense. Of the players shipped out, I would say the Gilmore thing was a good move. I’m also glad Dareus isn’t here. I think that was a win-win for both sides.

But everyone else has been fairly productive elsewhere or in Buffalo. This administration is more interested in scapegoating the players they did not personally coach, sign or draft. They undervalue those players and overvalue the ones with which they have a personal history.

But in spite of that they have not gotten what they can out of the players that they do have on the team.

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

You’re griping about Kaelin Clay after a win?  Is he really better than Brandon Tate?  Great for the kid and his punt return TD, but if you must complain after a loss...this is it?  Good grief...

Is Clay better?

compared to the slowest return man in NFL in Brandon Tate?......SMH.