How quickly can the Bills replenish their talent?

jahnyc

43 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

There is another recent thread here that documents the key draft picks and moves/acquisitions that set us up for the Super bowl run years.

It was like a 4 or 5 year ramp-up just to get to 1988...with our first Superbowl appearance coming in January, 1991.

So yes, it could take a while.  Though the league has changed since then and free agency didn't exist when we were ramping up to the Kelly/Smith/Thomas/Reed years.

I say give this regime 3 years; if we don't seem to be making any progress at all after 3, start over.

We are still in year 1 of all that! 

I was surprised there were more trades in a league which traditionally sees almost none. And it wasn't just Buffalo moving players, although they were the most active. 

The league is changing almost year to year and not just in terms of offensive and defensive philosophy. If McD continues to be young Jauron, they'll continue being mediocre. That is, unless they find the QB which is a huge if.

The W-L record in year 1 will likely be around 6-8 wins. The question will be how they fare in year 2 because historically going from mediocre to 10+ wins is a huge leap. 

my take. Get Glenn healthy. then you have two solid tackles.  With 5 picks in the top 90 and the ability to sign a few solid free agents. Not the break the bank day one free agents but solid nfl starters the defense can be repaired quickly.  The problem is and has been forever you still need a qb.    

Back to the defense .  Lets say they invest in a d tackle and a linebacker in free agency , then back that up with another linebacker and d tackle an corner early in the draft.  Seems to me the defense should improve to from awful to solid very quickly.  Selecting the right guard in round 3 should work to fill that hole.   At the end of the day the league is always sort of like wack a mole and you never fill every issue.   

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I think the difference is hockey drafts 18 yr olds that need years to develop.  I think an NFL team can rebuild more quickly, but we are certainly starting with a roster largely bereft of talent.

the issue with the sabs is weather you do it again.  Keep Jack dump everyone else.  The team is a complete mess.   of course John Taveres would help 

30 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

With the Bills drafting ability?

I think this Drought is going 20+ years easily. 

Watson and Mahomes fell into their lap at #10 and they passed. 

Now they will be picking 9th - 11th in the draft with a early 20's KC pick and not have a chance at the best QBs in the draft. 

Watson is hurt, and how sustainable is his play? He's been good, sure, but so was RGIII...

Mahomes isn't even starting yet. Chill. 

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

See GB pre and post Rodgers injury. 

we are not green bay, we have little talent in our front 7. I'll bet at least 5 of those players are gone next season. This argument just fits your narrative of putting most of the blame on Taylor. It's not accurate.

Honestly, it's probably going to take awhile.

One of the big problems with what Bean/McDermott have done to the roster... is they traded away young talent in order to rebuild.  Guys like Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby, Marcel Dareus and Reggie Ragland were supposed to be the foundation of this team's future.  Some of the solid young pieces remaining like Shaq Lawson and John Miller are questionable scheme fits, and may need to be replaced for that reason alone.  The best players we have left are closing in (or have already passed) 30 years old, and are nearing the end of their contracts.

The way I see it, the following positions are huge holes RIGHT NOW and need an immediate upgrade:

Quarterback, Right Guard, Right Tackle, Defensive Tackle, (All Three) Linebacker Spots

That comes to SEVEN holes that need to be filled in the starting lineup.  That is more than enough to handle in a single (2018) offseason, even with multiple high draft picks and plenty of cap space.  Then consider that Jordan Matthews, Kyle Williams and EJ Gaines are free agents, who will need to be re-signed or replaced.  That bumps the number to TEN starting spots.  Ouch. 

But it gets worse.

LeSean McCoy turns 30  years old next year.  His dead cap hit drops to $5.2 million in 2018, then to $2.6 million in 2019, and he is a free agent in 2020.  It's unlikely he will be around for when this team is ready to compete again. 

Ritchie Incognito turns 35 next year.  His dead cap hit in 2018 is $1.15 million, and he is a free agent in 2019.  The team needs to start thinking about replacing him as well, because the age cliff is approaching fast.

Based on contracts and age, I anticipate we will keep Charles Clay, Cordy Glenn, Eric Wood and Jerry Hughes for another year (maybe).  But all of them have easy contract outs in 2019, and they are all creeping up in age.  None of them have solid roster footing moving forward.

From what I can see, this team has only a few solid/young pieces to build on.  Kelvin Benjamin, Tre'Davius White, Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer.

Then we can hope that Zay Jones, Dion Dawkins, Matt Milano and Shaq Lawson develop into good players.

But that is pretty much it.

Edited by mjt328

3 minutes ago, klos63 said:

we are not green bay, we have little talent in our front 7. I'll bet at least 5 of those players are gone next season. This argument just fits your narrative of putting most of the blame on Taylor. It's not accurate.

Sure we are not. Hell we are not even the Browns we are in a class of out own but yeah lets keeps building all over and never fix the QB that has worked so well for this statiscal anomoly Buffalo Bills Franchise. 

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

at least two seasons.

might be looking at a contender in 2020?

....first how did we go from the Bflo like 5-2 penthouse to the outhouse OVERNIGHT if there was ZERO talent from day one?....luck?....smoke 'n mirrors?......bribery?....pictures?...HotLanta, Denver & Raiders victories were penciled in by whom?....they may be struggling now, but how about the early on prognostications?...the ROOT CAUSE is more important before you can assess where, when or why replenishment is necessary, INCLUDING coaches AND players.....can't fix if you don't know where the fixins' need to happen IMO............

45 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Sure we are not. Hell we are not even the Browns we are in a class of out own but yeah lets keeps building all over and never fix the QB that has worked so well for this statiscal anomoly Buffalo Bills Franchise. 

I'm not saying " don't fix the QB"  just not blaming the QB for all offensive and defensive issues on this team.

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Now they will be picking 9th - 11th in the draft with a early 20's KC pick and not have a chance at the best QBs in the draft. 

We have an entirely new GM, personnel and scouting staff from top to bottom since that 2017 draft. They fired every single scout and personnel man. So you can't compare any previous draft to what we will see in 2018.

We have no clue how the Bills are going to draft yet... but Beane hired some top end people to run things so my hopes are much higher than they've been in years, as far as drafts go. 

Also, it's a bit early to lament passing on Mahomes, no? He hasn't even played a regular season snap yet.

Even on Watson. Yes he's looked good but we've seen plenty of players flame out after good starts. The league catches up quickly. Let's see if Watson is able to keep playing at a high level in years 2 and 3, as game plans are made specifically to exploit his weaknesses. 

I think it has to be taken into account that McDermott was clearly working with a GM, personnel and scouting staff that he did not trust. I can see why a rookie HC wouldn't want to bet his career on a QB drafted by a staff he had no faith in, especially when I'm sure he knew that a new staff would be brought in after the draft, that would have two 1sts the following year (that was supposed to be a very strong year for QBs). 

I don't even think he used Whaley's draft board from what has been said. Sounds like they used Carolina's more than Buffalo's, and Carolina wasn't in the market for a QB, so... 

We we don't know where they will be picking yet either. But I definitely get your point on that, as historically we've missed out on some good QBs by being mediocre. 

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

you use watson and mahomes as examples of the best qbs in the draft, (at least it's why i think you mentioned the bills passing on them at 10).

if the bills will be picking in the same likely spot this year, why isn't it possible that good qbs come draft time are still around in that spot?  we have no idea how this will work out, and on top of that, the bills can trade up if they feel it's necessary.