[Vague Title]I think what we have to realize

Watkins90

Is that what Beane and McDermott are doing isn't a new concept. Hell Carolina did it recently. While Gettleman may not have traded away high-priced talent, he didn't resign old veterans. Getting rid of Steve Smith Sr. was a very unpopular decision in Carolina, but Gettleman knew what he was doing.

Now, it was a little easier for him because he didn't have to go out and find a franchise QB, because he already had one. But, I don't think you can really disagree with whatever moves Beane has made. Trading Watkins was unpopular, but if that second-round pick nets us a good player, no one is going to gripe. It is hard to look to the future because that is what we have been doing for so long, but we just gotta keep the faith. 

I know trading Dareus doesn't look like a smart decision, especially to the media. If Dareus ends up a HOF with Jacksonville, it was still the right call. The guy wasn't giving effort here and for the amount we were paying him, he needed to go. 

I know, I know, we are sick of "Trust the Process." But, that is all we can really do.

Firing Beane and McDermott would do more harm at this point, than good. You think we would get the cream of the crop GM or Coach. Who would want to come here if they knew they could be fired if things don't look good 10 weeks into their stay here in Buffalo. 

"Trust the Process" it is all we have for the next couple of years. One thing is for sure though, this is going to be an interesting couple of years. 

• Like (+1) 1

I generally agree with the OP on moet points.

Like I posted in other threads, if we are going to let Mcd and Beane go this far and gut the roster, now we have to let them implement they're vision. Otherwise we just let them tear down, let's see if they can rebuild.

I'm hoping we let Beane and McD have a 5 year run before we start changing cogs in the wheel. Been doing that for way to long and it hasn't helped.. We need stability and it will probably bring more pain before it gets better

16 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Dareus was a good player, but not a leader and he was paid a massive sum of money to be more than a good player.

The media is taking the wrong approach. It is solely looking at cause-and-effect to drive its narrative. The Bills' run defense got worse when they traded Dareus and Jacksonville's got better. Cause-and-effect says trading Dareus was the wrong decision. What they fail to look at is what we were getting for the money we were paying him. While our poor run defense might be a cause of Dareus's trade, do we really want to pay someone $100 million to be in on less than 50 percent of snaps? Is that good economics. Like I said, if he goes on to be a HOF, it was still the right move for both us and him. He would never have done that while here based off of passing performance the last couple of years. I feel like he never wanted to be here, but we made him an offer he couldn't refuse, which is why he phoned it in once he got the contract. 

Firing the coach and GM for what?  Not being able to win with poor players.   The moves Beane has made with the roster have been brilliant.  We have loaded up with draft choices to either get a franchise QB or load up with young talent.  Getting rid of "me first and overrated" Sammy Watkins was an excellent move.  Darby was an average corner.  HIs second year was terrible, Dareus is 1 puff away from a year suspension.  I have faith in the process

[This is an automated response]As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A better title will help the community find information faster and make your topic more likely to be read. The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.Thank you.

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

I'm hoping we let Beane and McD have a 5 year run before we start changing cogs in the wheel. Been doing that for way to long and it hasn't helped.. We need stability and it will probably bring more pain before it gets better

I'm glad to see there are some people still here with the ability to see beyond the current week, month and even year.

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

If they earn 5 years then they will get it. That’s how it should be. You don’t just give these guys 5 years regardless of what the results are.

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

If they earn 5 years then they will get it. That’s how it should be. You don’t just give these guys 5 years regardless of what the results are.

You HAVE to give them that time. It's a must. Hell, Donahoe got close to that, and should have gotten more time. Had Ralph not listened to the idiots in the fan base, we may never have had a drought like this.

It's the one thing this team hasn't tried. If it sucks, it sucks, but at least you tried it.

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

You HAVE to give them that time. It's a must. Hell, Donahoe got close to that, and should have gotten more time. Had Ralph not listened to the idiots in the fan base, we may never have had a drought like this.

It's the one thing this team hasn't tried. If it sucks, it sucks, but at least you tried it.

No, it’s not a must. You don’t just give them time for the sake of it. Do you think Chan, Rex and Jauron deserved more time to turn it around? Coaches and GMs get more time if they earn it by winning games.

Edited by Bangarang

Just now, Bangarang said:

No, it’s not a must. You don’t just give them time for the sake of it. Do you think Chan, Rex and Jauron needed more time to turn it around? Coaches and GMs get more time if they earn it. 

OK, let's think about this your way. Suppose Pegula gets all squirrelly because the fan base is up in arms, and cans these guys in two years.

What happens next?

53 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

OK, let's think about this your way. Suppose Pegula gets all squirrelly because the fan base is up in arms, and cans these guys in two years.

What happens next?

You hire their replacements...

Let me be clear, I don’t think McD is getting fired anytime soon and he’ll probably get 3 years to make this team successful. The only thing I find ridiculous is people saying they need to get 5 years regardless.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

You hire their replacements...

Let me be clear, I don’t think McD is getting fired anytime soon and he’ll probably get 3 years to make this team successful. The only thing I find ridiculous is people saying they need to get 5 years regardless.

And when the fans are twitchy after the first year of the replacements?

Three years isn't enough, if I'm honest. Take a look at this team. Even BEFORE the cuts/trades/whatnot did you see them making a meaningful push for anything in three years?

2 hours ago, Dunkirk Don said:

Firing the coach and GM for what?  Not being able to win with poor players.   The moves Beane has made with the roster have been brilliant.  We have loaded up with draft choices to either get a franchise QB or load up with young talent.  Getting rid of "me first and overrated" Sammy Watkins was an excellent move.  Darby was an average corner.  HIs second year was terrible, Dareus is 1 puff away from a year suspension.  I have faith in the process

No, no.  Firing them for trading away all the amazing talent that managed to go 7-9 last year.   It's just like when they blew up the 2003 Florida Marlins!

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

And when the fans are twitchy after the first year of the replacements?

Three years isn't enough, if I'm honest. Take a look at this team. Even BEFORE the cuts/trades/whatnot did you see them making a meaningful push for anything in three years?

The fans don’t make the decisions nor would they have any issues if the team was winning.

You think 3 years isn’t enough whereas I think it is. New coaches turn things around in their first or second year all the time. Saying they need to get a minimum of 5 years is a joke.

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

AGREED - case and point (if not us) is the Browns. We may have the longer drought by a couple years, but I'd rather be in the Bills organization right now than the Browns with their turnover rate and instability/incompetence on multiple levels of the organization exceeding all other teams' at this point (imho).

Edited by ctk232

I'd say most to all the moves they made this year had been in preparation for the future. Also while trying to keep it together this year and stay competitive. Yes the production lost this year hurt but hey people still talking playoffs so was it really that bad? If you think about this level headed you still have to like it even though it's painful right now. 

We we're taken very seriously until the Jets game happened. Everyone was on McDermott's jock until 5-2 went downhill.

Edited by Lfod