The Last 5-4 Team to Sit a Vet for a Rookie?

BisonMan

Kudos to The NFL Network for pointing today out that the last 5-4 team in a playoff hunt to replace their QB with a rookie was the Giants with Eli Manning replacing Kurt Warner (2004). Sure enough, they have Warner on the show to talk about it. Warner pointed out that that Giants team wasn't very good and "not a playoff team" and switching to the #1 pick at QB was an acknowledgement of the future (sound familiar?).

Of course, Warner didn't point out that he was having the worst year of his career with 6 TDs, 4 INTs and a whopping 39 sacks (in 9 games!). He also had one of his lowest YPG of his career. Everyone assumed he was washed up after the 2 injury filled seasons before that. As it turns out, the offense wasn't aligned with his skills (see: Tyrod Taylor) and moving to AZ revived his career.

Eli was horrible as his replacement with 6 TDs, 9 INTs and just 115 YPG. Let's hope Peterman is no Eli Manning...as a rookie.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BisonMan said:

Kudos to The NFL Network for pointing today out that the last 5-4 team in a playoff hunt to replace their QB with a rookie was the Giants with Eli Manning replacing Kurt Warner (2004). Sure enough, they have Warner on the show to talk about it. Warner pointed out that that Giants team wasn't very good and "not a playoff team" and switching to the #1 pick at QB was an acknowledgement of the future (sound familiar?).

Of course, Warner didn't point out that he was having the worst year of his career with 6 TDs, 4 INTs and a whopping 39 sacks (in 9 games!). He also had one of his lowest YPG of his career. Everyone assumed he was washed up after the 2 injury filled seasons before that. As it turns out, the offense wasn't aligned with his skills (see: Tyrod Taylor) and moving to AZ revived his career.

Eli was horrible as his replacement with 6 TDs, 9 INTs and just 115 YPG. Let's hope Peterman is no Eli Manning...as a rookie.

This is a better offense than that was.  I think the scheme is so out of whack from who Taylor is that the only way to fix the offense is to give it to someone who is made for this offense.

I am as big a fan of this decision as anyone.

But even I am preparing for Peterman to throw a couple picks.

He will also do other rookie things that are part of the learning curve.  Expect him to take a few bad sacks while he learns the value of throwing the ball away when a play is not there, etc. 

The issue will be whether or not he does enough good things to offset the INTs and mistakes. 

I was wondering if a team that was 5-4 or better had ever benched a starting QB for a rookie before. Great find on the 2004 Giants! 

The Giants started that year 5-2. Lost the next 2 and decided to start their rookie QB at 5-4. They proceeded to lose the next 6 games before winning in week 17 to finish 6-10. 

Wow....let's hope the Bills season doesn't end at 6-10. It'll be worth it if Peterman becomes the next Eli Manning, although I have my doubts there. There's a reason Peterman was drafted #171 overall and Eli went #1 overall 

I think the kid will do a whole lot better then most people think. It's about time the Bills had an actual pocket QB that teams will actually need to worry about stopping his passing.

Plus Charles Clay should be back and he should help that passing offense even more. I'm excited to see what a passing QB can do with this receiving corps.

11 hours ago, BisonMan said:

I just commented on this.  

It seemed to me Kurt Warner was still bothered by it.  

We all know what Eli went onto.

Again Eli was going to play and Warner was only a placeholder in every possible scenario.......  No comparison (after the records).

What is interesting is the Bills finally have all their receivers and as a conspiracy theorist it is obvious they want to be rid of TT, Peterman is a stretch, but they have him starting in the best possible situation and probably are hoping for 6-10 and a good first round draft choice.

TT with all his receivers and a win vs. LAC would have meant Peterman would have no real chance to start until December 10th (wouldn't start him on the road vs. KC or home vs. NE).

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

I think this says it all.  

Doctor Evil was drawing up his plans 

I can hardly wait until Sunday and all of a sudden we'll see quicker play calls, shotgun, bunched receivers & motion and no plays that we watching on TV know before the snap the exact call......

29 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again Eli was going to play and Warner was only a placeholder in every possible scenario.......  No comparison (after the records).

What is interesting is the Bills finally have all their receivers and as a conspiracy theorist it is obvious they want to be rid of TT, Peterman is a stretch, but they have him starting in the best possible situation and probably are hoping for 6-10 and a good first round draft choice.

TT with all his receivers and a win vs. LAC would have meant Peterman would have no real chance to start until December 10th (wouldn't start him on the road vs. KC or home vs. NE).

I agree that Eli was already tapped to be the future in NY. However, he wasn't supposed to start in 2004 as he was supposed to sit and learn behind Warner. Warner had a horrible start which led to accelerating Eli into the starting role.

I'm not sure that the Bills believed that Peterman was the "future" but they have always been (or seemed to be) high on Peterman. It's also obvious from Tyrod's contract that they had no intention of paying him $16M next week given his typical production. Tyrod was always going to be history in Buffalo unless his game completely changed this year...an unlikely scenario.

RE: "best possible situation...hoping for 6-10"

I don't believe that the "best possible situation" has a goal of just one more win this season. Best possible is that he steps up to the challenge and they take games from LA, MIA (2), INDY and finish with a 9-7...sneaking into the playoffs in a weak AFC.

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I can hardly wait until Sunday and all of a sudden we'll see quicker play calls, shotgun, bunched receivers & motion and no plays that we watching on TV know before the snap the exact call......

this reminds me of the last days of Kelly and Thurman 

I could make the correct call 90% of the time 

1 hour ago, BisonMan said:

I agree that Eli was already tapped to be the future in NY. However, he wasn't supposed to start in 2004 as he was supposed to sit and learn behind Warner. Warner had a horrible start which led to accelerating Eli into the starting role.

I'm not sure that the Bills believed that Peterman was the "future" but they have always been (or seemed to be) high on Peterman. It's also obvious from Tyrod's contract that they had no intention of paying him $16M next week given his typical production. Tyrod was always going to be history in Buffalo unless his game completely changed this year...an unlikely scenario.

RE: "best possible situation...hoping for 6-10"

I don't believe that the "best possible situation" has a goal of just one more win this season. Best possible is that he steps up to the challenge and they take games from LA, MIA (2), INDY and finish with a 9-7...sneaking into the playoffs in a weak AFC.

And really you're telling me that a rookie 5th round pick has a better chance to do that then TT.......  And it they lose this week the playoffs are done.

The Bills have tiebreakers already over Denver & Oakland, which were important.  

No reason they couldn't/shouldn't have waited one more game (being this looks very winnable if the Defense doesn't allow 250 yards rushing).