Our GM/Head Coach Combination

I get tired of hearing that GM and HC weren't on the same page. 

Whaley was the #1 or #2 ranking FO member from 2010-2016.

He said that Rex had the same philosophy on how to build a team, so I don't buy this same page excuse. 

The Bills don't Draft well, that's the biggest problem. The second biggest problem is a string of poor coaches: Jauron, Gailey, Marrone, Rex (who I thought would be better).

I am not sold on McDermot or Beane. They are obsessed with running the ball and special teams. Let's see if this butter knife/popgun offense looks any better or is called anymore aggressively with Peterman. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I respectfully disagree.  I've played on many sports teams in high school and the only reason we were so good was because we had chemistry and talent.  You need both.  He didn't want to make the adjustment to the scheme...you have to get rid of him.  Whether you think he was a leader or not I also respectfully disagree.  Higher talents in the league usually are looked up to by teammates.  This year, he obviously lost that but he has been a leader on this team in the past.  

Bottom line is, if I were the Head Coach and my players were questioning how I do things and not playing up to their standards...I wouldn't have a problem showing them the door.  You don't need that negative attitude bringing other guys down around him.  

Right, because elite athletes and pro sports, are just like playing in the semi final of the Monsignor Martin tournament.

Is it possible that coaches are responsible for creating a culture where high level athletes have a high level of buy in?  

Yes they do.  It is a huge part of being a successful coach. It isn't all X's and O's or physiology.  It is why international sport has both Coach's and Physiologists. Getting your best athletes to show up and perform is 100% part of the job responsibility of a full time, professional coach. Coach control environment. 

Edited by Mango

I'm officially done with this HC/GM combo.  I have no faith whatsoever in either anymore and believe they will go down as one of the worst front offices in Bills history when all is said and done.   I'd love to be wrong and will still support & root for the team as always regardless but I do not believe we will see another .500+ season until both the current HC and GM are fired (which might be years away)  

First they completely decimate a near -playoff caliber roster.  (In a year where the AFC is SO bad this year, even Rex Ryan leading last year's team could have probably snuck the Bills into the 6th seed this year!) They trade/get rid of most of our talented young players and replace them with aging vets, get rid of our best WR right before the season starts, get rid of Dareus for a 6th mid-season turning our run defense from a strength to a weakness, and now they are benching the starting QB on a 5-4 team (a team that is healthy for the first time since the start of the year) heading into a game that we NEED to win.  (two days after saying Tyrod is the starting QB)

They don't appear to have any plan at all and don't appear to know what they are doing.  I'm not super high or low on TT and if this announcement came in two weeks when the team was 5-6 I'd even support it... (Or if this was the first or even second controversial decision they'd made this year I would wait before commenting)  But a MID-WEEK!! switch to a rookie QB (two days after saying the exact opposite, which gives what message to the other players on the team?) while the team has a winning record going into a game with the playoffs on the line?  WTF!!  Completely done with "The Process"....  

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

You gotta go higher up the food chain!   Y'know ... the guys who hired McDermott and Beane!  :doh:  Beane and McDermott ask, "How high, sir?" when the suits at OBD say "Jump".  My personal guess is that the decision to bench Taylor for Peterman didn't come from McDermott ... or even Beane unless he was just the messenger boy.  Get a clue ... the Bills upper organization, which really didn't change when the ownership changed except to shed some of Ralph Wilson's family and friends in cushy positions, is dysfunctional, and as long as the Pegulas don't disturb them, the same old same old will continue ... and I don't expect the Pegulas to disturb them.

I think McDermott had something to do with the move.  I mean he is their draft pick.  But I get your point.  I just think these two guys look solid, give them a chance.  If that doesn't work you can wipe out from top to bottom including every water boy and jock strap washer.  But I've been impressed with a handful things they've been able to do so far.  These moves seem huge now but they will just be specs on the plan.  I just think they can put something together.  Their draft picks have shown a lot of potential talent that just needs some coaching and developing.  McDermott was just in the Super Bowl with Carolina two years ago.  I just have a feeling these guys can get the job done.  But it's nice seeing a different viewpoint, I'm not always right. 

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s way harder to find talent than it is to find character. You can throw a rock and find A Tim Anderson. You need to search to find a guy that consistently eats a double team.

No doubt - don't disagree that it's difficult, or not necessary in the least. Elaborating may have helped here: team chemistry > individual talent. And that can extend to include a talented individual who's attitude and personality negatively impact a teams chemistry to the point where it affects performance of the team overall.

Also not saying that is what happened with Dareus - I think what caused him to leave was the relationship with McD, don't actually think the rest of the players thought poorly of him if I'm remembering correctly.

2 hours ago, Adam727 said:

I'm officially done with this HC/GM combo.  I have no faith whatsoever in either anymore and believe they will go down as one of the worst front offices in Bills history when all is said and done.   I'd love to be wrong and will still support & root for the team as always regardless but I do not believe we will see another .500+ season until both the current HC and GM are fired (which might be years away)  

First they completely decimate a near -playoff caliber roster.  (In a year where the AFC is SO bad this year, even Rex Ryan leading last year's team could have probably snuck the Bills into the 6th seed this year!) They trade/get rid of most of our talented young players and replace them with aging vets, get rid of our best WR right before the season starts, get rid of Dareus for a 6th mid-season turning our run defense from a strength to a weakness, and now they are benching the starting QB on a 5-4 team (a team that is healthy for the first time since the start of the year) heading into a game that we NEED to win.  (two days after saying Tyrod is the starting QB)

They don't appear to have any plan at all and don't appear to know what they are doing.  I'm not super high or low on TT and if this announcement came in two weeks when the team was 5-6 I'd even support it... (Or if this was the first or even second controversial decision they'd made this year I would wait before commenting)  But a MID-WEEK!! switch to a rookie QB (two days after saying the exact opposite, which gives what message to the other players on the team?) while the team has a winning record going into a game with the playoffs on the line?  WTF!!  Completely done with "The Process"....  

I disagree but it's nice seeing another person on the other side I can watch eat crow.  The moves they've made so far make sense to me.  Let's see how they play this week. Truth is if Peterman lights a fire in the offense, we could easily be in the playoffs with a weak AFC this year.  Don't dive off the ship just yet

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I get tired of hearing that GM and HC weren't on the same page. 

Whaley was the #1 or #2 ranking FO member from 2010-2016.

He said that Rex had the same philosophy on how to build a team, so I don't buy this same page excuse. 

The Bills don't Draft well, that's the biggest problem. The second biggest problem is a string of poor coaches: Jauron, Gailey, Marrone, Rex (who I thought would be better).

I am not sold on McDermot or Beane. They are obsessed with running the ball and special teams. Let's see if this butter knife/popgun offense looks any better or is called anymore aggressively with Peterman. 

The Bills don't draft great, but they certainly draft about as well as most NFL teams, which ought to get them into the playoffs every once in a while at least.  What the Bills don't do is retain their draftees, especially their Day 1 and Day 2 picks.   Read 'em and weep:

2017 - 6 picks, 6 on team

2016 - 7 picks, 2 on team: 1st-Lawson, 3rd-Washington; on other teams: 2nd - Reggie Ragland (KC)

2015 - 6 picks, 2 on team: 3rd- Miller, 6th-O'Leary; on other teams: 2nd - Ronald Darby (Philly)

2014 - 7 picks, 1? on team : 3rd-Brown, not sure what's become of 7th-Seanntrel Henderson; on other teams: 1st -Sammy Watkins (LAR)

2013 - 8 picks, 0 on team: on other teams: 1st- EJ Manuel (Oak), 2nd- Robert Woods (LAR), 2nd-Kiko Alonso (Miami), 3rd- Marquise Goodwin (SF), 6th- Dustin Hopkins (Wash)

2012 - 9 picks, 1 on team: 2nd-Glenn - on other teams: 1st - Stephon Gilmore (Patriots), 4th-Nigel Bradham (Philly)

2011 - 9 picks, 0 on team - on other teams: 1st-Marcel Dareus (Jax), 3rd- Kelvin Sheppard (NYG), 4th-Da'Norris Searcy (Tenn)

2010 - 9 picks, 0 on team - on other teams: 6th-Arthur Moats (Steelers)

8 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

No doubt - don't disagree that it's difficult, or not necessary in the least. Elaborating may have helped here: team chemistry > individual talent. And that can extend to include a talented individual who's attitude and personality negatively impact a teams chemistry to the point where it affects performance of the team overall.

Team chemistry does not mean fitting into a single rigid mold either in action or thought.  People are not robots.  They have different talents, different attitudes, and different temperaments.  Any team, whether a football team or a project team in a work environment, functions best when everybody on the team wants the same goal, even if they approach achieving that goal differently.  That's team chemistry because the whole becomes greater than the simple sum of its parts, and it's much more resilient in the face of trouble, primarily because team members tend to support one another.  

That doesn't seem to be what McDermott is building at all.  He seems to simply be requiring his players to accept his philosophy because he's sure that he knows what's best.   As long as his philosophy can produce wins, most players will accept his rules but if he can't sustain winning they'll stop believing in short order.

45 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I disagree but it's nice seeing another person on the other side I can watch eat crow.  The moves they've made so far make sense to me.  Let's see how they play this week. Truth is if Peterman lights a fire in the offense, we could easily be in the playoffs with a weak AFC this year.  Don't dive off the ship just yet

The operative word is "if".  You are assuming that Peterman is going to be successful which is highly unlikely for any green rookie QB starting his very first NFL game.  It makes a wonderful fantasy but it's likely not happening given the serious deficiencies the Bills have.

7 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The operative word is "if".  You are assuming that Peterman is going to be successful which is highly unlikely for any green rookie QB starting his very first NFL game.  It makes a wonderful fantasy but it's likely not happening given the serious deficiencies the Bills have.

Well I've seen enough of Tyrod to know he doesn't fit so...

Edited by Buffalo30

On 11/15/2017 at 8:42 PM, SoTier said:

The Bills don't draft great, but they certainly draft about as well as most NFL teams, which ought to get them into the playoffs every once in a while at least.  What the Bills don't do is retain their draftees, especially their Day 1 and Day 2 picks.  Read 'em and weep:

2017 - 6 picks, 6 on team

2016 - 7 picks, 2 on team: 1st-Lawson, 3rd-Washington; on other teams: 2nd - Reggie Ragland (KC)

2015 - 6 picks, 2 on team: 3rd- Miller, 6th-O'Leary; on other teams: 2nd - Ronald Darby (Philly)

2014 - 7 picks, 1? on team : 3rd-Brown, not sure what's become of 7th-Seanntrel Henderson; on other teams: 1st -Sammy Watkins (LAR)

2013 - 8 picks, 0 on team: on other teams: 1st- EJ Manuel (Oak), 2nd- Robert Woods (LAR), 2nd-Kiko Alonso (Miami), 3rd- Marquise Goodwin (SF), 6th- Dustin Hopkins (Wash)

2012 - 9 picks, 1 on team: 2nd-Glenn - on other teams: 1st - Stephon Gilmore (Patriots), 4th-Nigel Bradham (Philly)

2011 - 9 picks, 0 on team - on other teams: 1st-Marcel Dareus (Jax), 3rd- Kelvin Sheppard (NYG), 4th-Da'Norris Searcy (Tenn)

2010 - 9 picks, 0 on team - on other teams: 6th-Arthur Moats (Steelers)

Here is my take, later half of the drought:

2006 - Got Kyle Williams and that's it. 

2007 - Got Lynch, but lost that trade decisively. 

2008 - McKelvin was never really the corner we envisioned, but he lasted in the NFL for awhile. Otherwise an awful draft - Alvin Bowen, James Hardy, Xavier Omon, Derek Fine (one of my most hated drafted ever, why take a 25 year old, 4.95 Tight End), but did redeem some with Steve Johnson in the 7th. 

2009 - Hit on Levitre, Byrd and Wood. 

2010 - One of the worst drafts in Bills history. Other than 2012 with Spiller, got nothing. Ed Wang, Danny Batten.

2011 - Dareus at times was disruptive, Aaron Williams had one nice season

2012 - Gilmore was a disappointment, Glenn was a hit, otherwise nothing and missed on Russell Wilson for TJ Graham.

2013 - EJ was a bust, Kiko and Woods both hit

2014 - Took Watkins as the 1st WR, I think its clear now that he is no better than Evans, OBJ, Landry. Preston was a rare find for the Bills in the 3rd. 

2015 - Darby was a hit, could not understand the Tony Steward pick

2016 - Its early, but Lawson plays like Courtney Upshaw. He just doesn't have the explosiveness. Otherwise, nothing out of that draft. 

2017 - Some of the players look like they can contribute, and White has played well at times. 

Overall, that's 12 Drafts, and other than Kyle Williams, not one other name worthy of going on the Wall. 

The Bills don't draft well. Certainly when you look at how the Seahawks got good (Wilson, Wagner, Wright,  Thomas, Chancellor, Sherman) they stacked 3 good years in a row and built the backbone of the team. The Bills don't get high impact from their first and second round picks.   

On 11/15/2017 at 11:55 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s either good or a nightmare and the jury is out. They are dangerous both good and bad. This team has been gutted of talent but loaded up with draft picks. It is certainly different but it is WAY too early to declare it a success. It’s also a little ironic that the Carolina defense is now tops in the NFL. 

Wasn't their best player on IR most of season.  Good coaches can make players better but when a top player is out game will suffer.

At 5-4 (6th seed in the playoffs) heading into one of the more winnable games left on our schedule our detail-oriented head coach decided this was the game we had to start evaluating Peterman for next year. 

At halftime, down 33, with the game out of reach, he decided to put Tyrod back in and not continue evaluating Peterman.  

Now in his postgame conference he needs to evaluate film before figuring out who our QB is next week?  He really needs to see the film to know how Peterman played today? If he needs to see more of Peterman (After posting the worst statistical performance by an NFL QB ever they were saying on WGR today) why did he pull him at halftime?  

I don't understand.  They won't try to tank (they kept McCoy / Williams / Alexander) The AFC is so bad this year the playoffs actually were in reach and we're not trying to get there.  It's like they are trying for 7-9...  

Realistically what is the earliest Beane/Mcdermott could be let go?  End of next season?  

(I do not trust the process..)

They cleared cap and are rebuilding. The team played well. There is only so much talent you can throw out before the ship begins to sink. Dareus sunk the defense. Was only a 1st and 2nd down player for McDermott but as we see he was important. 

They tried to also start the process of dumping Taylor, but they shouldn't have done it on the road vs that DL with a rookie. 

So, it went from tanking to rebuilding while winning and back to tanking. Bills just need to stick with the plan. The tank is on. Finish the tank.