Our GM/Head Coach Combination

I think it is more than refreshing to finally get a GM/Head Coach combination with some guts and that are on the same page.  Over the last few seasons, we haven't had our Head Coach and GM on the same page.  Now, these guys clearly look on the same page.  They are making quick decisive moves and quickly reshaping an old roster that doesn't exactly fit the scheme.  Everyone is being evaluated and kicked to the curb if they aren't what this combination is looking for out of that position.  Finally! Finally, someone who has the guts to gut a team of it's players that may be leaders on the team but they just don't fit.  While Whaley made trades as well, I'm sure the disconnect between him and Rex caused problems when it came to drafting or trading for guys.  

I'm so thankful that this group has the guts to pull a QB in the midst of a wild card hunt knowing that it may not work out and may backfire, but take a chance for once.  Don't be overly conservative.  If a guy can be upgraded...why not give it a try?  San Fran pulled Alex Smith as they were kicking the league in the ash.  His back up ended up lighting a fire under the team and they went to the super bowl all because they took a chance.  I realize that one is now still in the league while another is not but in that situation, he helped lead that team to a Super Bowl.  That's a gutsy call.

Beane and McDermott's familiarity with each other and coming from the same team will help the team as they know what type of players to look for.  I've seen a wide range of opinions about the pairing so far but I think these two have some guts and don't just stick with what they inherited.  They are a couple of ambitious guys and I for one, am all aboard!  

• Thank you (+1) 1

It’s either good or a nightmare and the jury is out. They are dangerous both good and bad. This team has been gutted of talent but loaded up with draft picks. It is certainly different but it is WAY too early to declare it a success. It’s also a little ironic that the Carolina defense is now tops in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s either good or a nightmare and the jury is out. They are dangerous both good and bad. This team has been gutted of talent but loaded up with draft picks. It is certainly different but it is WAY too early to declare it a success. It’s also a little ironic that the Carolina defense is now tops in the NFL. 

Superbowl hangover.  It was great in 2015.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Tops with players drafted by McBeane, and scheme is relatively the same.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I think it is more than refreshing to finally get a GM/Head Coach combination with some guts and that are on the same page.  Over the last few seasons, we haven't had our Head Coach and GM on the same page.  Now, these guys clearly look on the same page.  They are making quick decisive moves and quickly reshaping an old roster that doesn't exactly fit the scheme.  Everyone is being evaluated and kicked to the curb if they aren't what this combination is looking for out of that position.  Finally! Finally, someone who has the guts to gut a team of it's players that may be leaders on the team but they just don't fit.  While Whaley made trades as well, I'm sure the disconnect between him and Rex caused problems when it came to drafting or trading for guys.  

I'm so thankful that this group has the guts to pull a QB in the midst of a wild card hunt knowing that it may not work out and may backfire, but take a chance for once.  Don't be overly conservative.  If a guy can be upgraded...why not give it a try?  San Fran pulled Alex Smith as they were kicking the league in the ash.  His back up ended up lighting a fire under the team and they went to the super bowl all because they took a chance.  I realize that one is now still in the league while another is not but in that situation, he helped lead that team to a Super Bowl.  That's a gutsy call.

Beane and McDermott's familiarity with each other and coming from the same team will help the team as they know what type of players to look for.  I've seen a wide range of opinions about the pairing so far but I think these two have some guts and don't just stick with what they inherited.  They are a couple of ambitious guys and I for one, am all aboard!  

Amen Brother

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I'm just happy that they aren't being conservative and actually have some guts to make changes when players don't fit even if they are talented in other schemes

I view the 2017 season the same manner as the 1978 season; the franchise collapsed 1976 - 1977 through poor drafting, coaching, and sub par talent (Kind of like now). Chuck Knox and Norm Pollom took over in 1978 and finished 4 and 12.  The 1979 draft came through, we were in contention for the playoffs until week 15 in 79 then came the amazing 1980 season. 

Many calling for Chuck Knox to be fired until 1980. This franchise has been plagued by lousy scouting, drafts, FA signings, and lousy coaching for 16 years; anyone who honestly believed this team had playoff caliber talent going into this season is sadly mistaken.

Since 1963 I have seen many ups and downs, but I like the process and will be patient with it; the rest of you can cry wolf!

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Tops with players drafted by McBeane, and scheme is relatively the same.

It was 26 last year.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I'm just happy that they aren't being conservative and actually have some guts to make changes when players don't fit even if they are talented in other schemes

Not me, I am happy when the right decisions are made. It was bold to trade Dareus for a 6th. It’s been a disaster so far. It wasn’t conservative but it wasn’t right either.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It was 26 last year.

Not me, I am happy when the right decisions are made. It was bold to trade Dareus for a 6th. It’s been a disaster so far. It wasn’t conservative but it wasn’t right either.

Was it not right?  Dareus had a big hold as a leader in that locker room.  Players looked up to him.  As a new coach, if one of your defensive leaders clearly isn't buying in, things could go bad.  You could lose a heck of a lot more than one player.  If Dareus is talking $hit behind their back with the other players...that's a huge problem for a new coach.  It's not all about talent.  Chemistry on a team is much more important than people give it credit for.  Look at the Saints trading Brandin Cooks because he didn't buy in.  Doesn't seem to bother them.  Once the position is filled in the offseason, it will be for the best.  It absolutely needed to happen when it did though.  You have to look at it from a new coaches viewpoint, not a fans viewpoint

2 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Was it not right?  Dareus had a big hold as a leader in that locker room.  Players looked up to him.  As a new coach, if one of your defensive leaders clearly isn't buying in, things could go bad.  You could lose a heck of a lot more than one player.  If Dareus is talking $hit behind their back with the other players...that's a huge problem for a new coach.  It's not all about talent.  Chemistry on a team is much more important than people give it credit for.  Look at the Saints trading Brandin Cooks because he didn't buy in.  Doesn't seem to bother them.  Once the position is filled in the offseason, it will be for the best.  It absolutely needed to happen when it did though.  You have to look at it from a new coaches viewpoint, not a fans viewpoint

By all accounts the players liked Dareus a lot. So McDermott didn’t think that he was buying in. They gave up 298 yards on the ground last week!! Watch this clip and tell me that chemistry is more important than talent.

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

The defensive coordinator certainly has input. He also coaches.

Also, where did Brandon Beane work?

How do you know they have any input? A defensive coordinator is way down on the totem pole when it comes to drafting, why would they get input/the final say on who to draft? I would go out on a limb and say they have 0 input. At the scouting combines, who represents their teams? The head coach, scouts, and GM. Sure as hell not a coordinator

Beane was an assistant G/M. Assistant being the key word. This is his first time being the actual general manager. 100 percent different

10 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

How do you know they have any input? A defensive coordinator is way down on the totem pole when it comes to drafting, why would they get input/the final say on who to draft? I would go out on a limb and say they have 0 input. At the scouting combines, who represents their teams? The head coach, scouts, and GM. Sure as hell not a coordinator

Beane was an assistant G/M. Assistant being the key word. This is his first time being the actual general manager. 100 percent different

So Beane and McD did nothing in Carolina. Opinion noted. Lol