Whatever happened to Doug Whaley and His Crew?

BuffaloRush

52 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Oh come on.

What are you denying? He brought him in for nothing. I don’t think he’d have let him walk for $2.5M. 

25 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Man the revisionist history is off the charts when talking about Whaley it's unreal.  People cite drafting players like Robert Woods, Nickel-Roby Coleman, Ron Darby Marquese Goodwin, and Nigel Bradam as the crowning achievement for Whaley?  Give me a break.  All of those guys are nice players that have been successful in the right schemes, but they aren't the difference makers you need to be successful in the NFL.   To be successful as a GM, you need to consistently hit in rounds 1 and 2 of the NFL.   Whaley's record in these spots was not very good.  

Funny how many also forget the fact, that Whaley as GM was responsible for mismanaging the cap some very very bad deals.  Fact of the matter is, Whaley was a failure as GM and the best thing Terry ever did was to let him go

Wasn't that the guy who started on the Bills when Jay Ajayi ran for 400+ yards in two games.  I think a lot of Zach's tackles took place downfield

Well the Saints but up 298 Sunday so that’s 33% more. The run defense has been awful.

21 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Counting Terry's money on a beach.  But I believe he's working on some football related product outside of the NFL.

Whaley had his flaws but a lot of his players are key members on some really good teams.  He should have been allowed to pick his coach.

Hes yet yet another example of a guy that fans call a bum for not succeeding while the organization set him up to fail. We have a ton of those in the last decade. Odds are some were bums, but odds likewise are that some would have been very good if dropped elsewhere 

4 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

That would have been a nice combo, I agree. Regarding Rex, Whaley didn't have the balls to say no to the new owners, he had to know that Rex's big ego would lead to another defefensive system. 

And it’s fair to say a failure to get what you need is a failure in the role - I won’t dispute that part. But if in a functional environment he likely would need a bit less of the “managing the owners” skill set and maybe we’d see more out of his “managing a football organization” skill set 

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Hes yet yet another example of a guy that fans call a bum for not succeeding while the organization set him up to fail. We have a ton of those in the last decade. Odds are some were bums, but odds likewise are that some would have been very good if dropped elsewhere 

And it’s fair to say a failure to get what you need is a failure in the role - I won’t dispute that part. But if in a functional environment he likely would need a bit less of the “managing the owners” skill set and maybe we’d see more out of his “managing a football organization” skill set 

You can't be "set up to fail" if you sign your own death warrant.  

Whaley.  Signed.  Off.  On.  Rex.  He thought he would do great as our HC.  Period.

For that reason alone, he failed and sucked and deserved to be fired.

Just now, jmc12290 said:

You can't be "set up to fail" if you sign your own death warrant.  

Whaley.  Signed.  Off.  On.  Rex.  He thought he would do great as our HC.  Period.

For that reason alone, he failed and sucked and deserved to be fired.

If he truly thought Rex was great - I agree

if he thought “rex is getting hired and I can either make the best of it or be unemployed” then I less strongly agree 

Counting Terry's money on a beach.  But I believe he's working on some football related product outside of the NFL.

Whaley had his flaws but a lot of his players are key members on some really good teams.  He should have been allowed to pick his coach.

I was positive toward him in general, but I FULLY agree with that. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

if he thought “rex is getting hired and I can either make the best of it or be unemployed” then I less strongly agree 

There is zero evidence supporting this.  Whaley put Rex on the list of candidates.  Whaley interviewed Rex separately from the Pegulas and vetted him from a football standpoint.  

Whaley was the Pegulas' right arm after Marrone walked.  He was their golden boy advisor.  And to hear the story now,  we'd have to believe the guy the Pegulas gave a massive extension, effusively praised, and by all reports loved, would've been fired for having reservations about a HC candidate.  That is absolutely absurd.  It truly is.

4 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

There is zero evidence supporting this.  Whaley put Rex on the list of candidates.  Whaley interviewed Rex separately from the Pegulas and vetted him from a football standpoint.  

Whaley was the Pegulas' right arm after Marrone walked.  He was their golden boy advisor.  And to hear the story now,  we'd have to believe the guy the Pegulas gave a massive extension, effusively praised, and by all reports loved, would've been fired for having reservations about a HC candidate.  That is absolutely absurd.  It truly is.

Truth is, we don’t know all that much behind the scenes. I could likewise write up the script for a story contradicting that... but... we are just flinging stuff at the wall. 

I do not believe rex was Whaley’s top guy. I do not know how far down the list he was.

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Truth is, we don’t know all that much behind the scenes. I could likewise write up the script for a story contradicting that... but... we are just flinging stuff at the wall. 

I do not believe rex was Whaley’s top guy. I do not know how far down the list he was.

My stuff was pretty well-documented, NoSaint.

I suppose it's possible.  But I think it's very unlikely Whaley had his arm twisted to get on board with Rex.  

18 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

NoSaint, I really don't understand how anyone can still believe the latter and not the former.

The fact that Pegula dumped Whaley as soon as the draft was over (and the fact that Rex didn't even last the season, combined with Whaley's unequivocal support and gushing over Rex when he was hired and the hiring process he described) point only to the conclusion that Pegula felt he was burned by Whaley on Rex.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

NoSaint, I really don't understand how anyone can still believe the latter and not the former.

The fact that Pegula dumped Whaley as soon as the draft was over (and the fact that Rex didn't even last the season, combined with Whaley's unequivocal support and gushing over Rex when he was hired and the hiring process he described) point only to the conclusion that Pegula felt he was burned by Whaley on Rex.

I agree and disagree.  I think Whaley liked Rex initially, just like Pegs did.

When it was abundantly clear Rex was horrible, Whaley tried to distance himself from it, unsuccessfully.

52 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

What are you denying? He brought him in for nothing. I don’t think he’d have let him walk for $2.5M. 

Well the Saints but up 298 Sunday so that’s 33% more. The run defense has been awful.

Yeah, and it’s more than just Dareus, who was a part timer. THAT was ugly. When’s the last time a team ran the ball for 23 straight plays against us? 

Whaley is working for Impellia "a company that develops software and sensor technology that can be used for injury prevention and performance enhancement. Whaley will be a senior sports business advisor for the company."  Based in Pittsburgh, I think, so traveling home for him, but there may be a dearth of beaches.

Can't find anything on Monos or Fisher.

1 hour ago, jmc12290 said:

You're misremembering.  ZB wouldn't sign with the Bills, not because the money wasn't right, but because the role wasn't right.

59 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

My stuff was pretty well-documented, NoSaint.

I suppose it's possible.  But I think it's very unlikely Whaley had his arm twisted to get on board with Rex.  

Not misremembering anything; he made two visits to the Bills and they decided he wasn’t worth $2.5M. Check your facts

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

LOL solid logic there.  Point is - Zach wasn't a player that would have made a sizable difference this year.  LIke you said, maybe NO runs for 278 yards instead of 298.  Who cares?

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Whaley is working for Impellia "a company that develops software and sensor technology that can be used for injury prevention and performance enhancement. Whaley will be a senior sports business advisor for the company."  Based in Pittsburgh, I think, so traveling home for him, but there may be a dearth of beaches.

Can't find anything on Monos or Fisher.

Yes now I remembering reading that.  I think he also said he said he wasn't sure if he would stay in football.  Isn't it odd how Monos and Fisher simply disappeared into the either?  At one time when the Bills looked good, Monos was rumored to be in consideration for a GM or Ass. GM position.  Funny how things change.

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Why can't some of you let this go? Why would this even be a thread and the venom some of you seem to harbor towards him is pathetic.

He seemed like a decent guy, didn't do anything immoral out of his position. It didnt work out.

Move on.

No venom....Just wondering what happened to these guys.  Like I said, Fisher and Monos have seemingly disappeared and Whaley has been very quiet. 

Whaley is a very polarizing figure among Bills fans - some will defend him whereas others disagree.  You shouldn't be surprised that his name gets both types of reactions