Your experience with venison

CountryCletus

I just made two batches of jerky. I`ll make some summer sausage with the ground meat and more jerky. The backstraps and preachers meat ,I will fry up and eat. You can by all kinds of kits for seasoning the meat.The jerky tastes just as good as any store bought. No game taste at all.

The absolute best cut of meat I've ever had is venison backstrap marinated in State Fair Spiedie Sauce.  I don't marinate it too long, because I don't want to overpower the venison flavor, but the marinade cuts down on what little gamey taste there might be.  The last time I cooked up a backstrap it was in the sous vide and seared in the carbon steel pan.  Medium rare and a beautiful deep red throughout. 

strap.jpg

7 hours ago, chknwing334 said:

The absolute best cut of meat I've ever had is venison backstrap marinated in State Fair Spiedie Sauce.  I don't marinate it too long, because I don't want to overpower the venison flavor, but the marinade cuts down on what little gamey taste there might be.  The last time I cooked up a backstrap it was in the sous vide and seared in the carbon steel pan.  Medium rare and a beautiful deep red throughout. 

strap.jpg

Damn that looks good 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Perfect rare, actually.

Tough to tell without knowing if that red center is warm or not.  Many people confuse medium rare with medium.  But Medium rare and Rare should look almost identical, however they feel very different.

Looks frigging' awesome regardless.

If you find the venison too gamey, soak it in ginger ale for 24 hours. The ginger ale sucks it right out. It works the same with moose, boar, geese, etc.

We used to soak black bear in milk for 24 hrs. That's about the only way you can eat it..........we tried bear one time without soaking it first and its not even edible.

5 hours ago, Sweats said:

If you find the venison too gamey, soak it in ginger ale for 24 hours. The ginger ale sucks it right out. It works the same with moose, boar, geese, etc.

We used to soak black bear in milk for 24 hrs. That's about the only way you can eat it..........we tried bear one time without soaking it first and its not even edible.

Not much different, but try buttermilk...