Sean Mcdermott defensive ranks since 2011

BillsFan130

After the past few weeks, I can't figure out why the Bills defence has taken such a nosedive, as they are maybe the worst defensive team in the NFL right now.

So I dug up a few stats before I went to bed last night, because I wanted to see where Sean McDermott's defences have ranked since him taking over in Carolina in 2011.

2011- 27th in points, 28th in yards

2012- 15th in points, 10th in yards

2013- 2nd in points, 2nd in yards

2014- 21st in points, 10th in yards

2015- 6th in points, 6th in yards

2016- 26th in points, 21st in yards

2017 so far- 15th in points, 25th in yards

I see 1 positive and 2 negatives here

The positive is that McDermott is an experienced defensive coordinator who has proven he can lead a great defence if he has the right pieces to work with.

The first negative is the past year and a half, his defences have been below average to even poor. I know last year they had a ton of injuries on Carolina's front but that will lead me to my next point.

The second negative is Carolina has had some ridiculous talent on that side of the ball, and had 2 all pro's in Kuechly and Norman, combined with Short, Star Loutelei, Johnson, Davis. The list goes on. When a few of those guys got hurt though including their QB on defence in Kuechly, their defence really started to struggle.

Obviously the Bills don't have even near that talent especially in their front 7.

Looking at the past stats and this year, the Bills are going to really have to hit on their draft picks to fix this defence, because McDermott has shown with the right pieces he can make it work. But he also has shown if he doesn't have a ton to work with, he isn't going automatically turn them into a descent defence like I for one kind of expected/hoped for, especially after the first 4 weeks.

**Please don't make this about Tyrod. We are all well aware the offence sucks and has to drastically improve**

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 1

Can't argue with this.  The 2018 draft will tell a lot about just how good McDermott and Beane are.  We need an upgrade at about 8 positions, so you're right, we really can't miss on draft selections and probably have to make a couple of good FA acquisitions.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

After the past few weeks, I can't figure out why the Bills defence has taken such a nosedive, as they are maybe the worst defensive team in the NFL right now.

So I dug up a few stats before I went to bed last night, because I wanted to see where Sean McDermott's defences have ranked since him taking over in Carolina in 2011.

2011- 18th in points, 10th in yards

The positive is that McDermott is an experienced defensive coordinator who has proven he can lead a great defence if he has the right pieces to work with.

The first negative is the past year and a half, his defences have been below average to even poor. I know last year they had a ton of injuries on Carolina's front but that will lead me to my next point.

The second negative is Carolina has had some ridiculous talent on that side of the ball, and had 2 all pro's in Kuechly and Norman, combined with Short, Star Loutelei, Johnson, Davis. The list goes on. When a few of those guys got hurt though including their QB on defence in Kuechly, their defence really started to struggle.

Obviously the Bills don't have even near that talent especially in their front 7.

Looking at the past stats and this year, the Bills are going to really have to hit on their draft picks to fix this defence, because McDermott has shown with the right pieces he can make it work. But he also has shown if he doesn't have a ton to work with, he isn't going automatically turn them into a descent defence like I for one kind of expected/hoped for, especially after the first 4 weeks.

**Please don't make this about Tyrod. We are all well aware the offence sucks and has to drastically improve**

A much better measure is DVOA, which factors in opponents and a whole bunch of other relevant factors like turnovers ( http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef ).

2017: 16th (he took over a D that was 27th in the league the year before; that was Ryan's D)

2016: 10th

2015: 2nd

2014: 15th

2013: 3rd

2012: 11th

2011: 32nd

2010: 11th (Philly)

2009: 3rd (Philly)

All in all, his record is quite good. In 9 seasons, he has finished in the top half eight times, in the top 11 six times, and the top 3 three times. He had one disaster season - his first year in Carolina.

Incidentally, your 2011 stats are wrong. Carolina's D was 27th in points allowed and 28th in yards allowed. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2011.htm

Edited by dave mcbride

11 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

This is why i can see Leslie Frasier getting relieved of his duties if this does not pickup and McD take over

You don't think McD is heavily involved and responsible for the D?

Or are you just saying he will use him as a scapegoat?

• Like (+1) 1

We have very little talent on this D.  We went up against a future HOF QB, two fantastic pro-bowl caliber RB's, and a great WR group. 

In turn we have seemingly--hate to say this--over the hill, but bound for Wall-of-Fame, K. Williams.  Other than that: a bunch of okay guys on the DL, no real "playmaker" Lbs.  

The total of lack of play makers in the DL and LB corp make this D doomed, esp. because you can't cover a WR forever, and Brees had all day to throw when he wanted to.    Not to mention how horrid the run D was.  

Hard to blame the coaches for this.  Total lack of DL and LB talent.  

25 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

A much better measure is DVOA, which factors in opponents and a whole bunch of other relevant factors like turnovers ( http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef ).

2017: 16th (he took over a D that was 27th in the league the year before; that was Ryan's D)

2016: 10th

2015: 2nd

2014: 15th

2013: 3rd

2012: 11th

2011: 32nd

2010: 11th (Philly)

2009: 3rd (Philly)

All in all, his record is quite good. In 9 seasons, he has finished in the top half eight times, in the top 11 six times, and the top 3 three times. He had one disaster season - his first year in Carolina.

Incidentally, your 2011 stats are wrong. Carolina's D was 27th in points allowed and 28th in yards allowed. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/2011.htm

Oh whoops my bad.

And thanks for the info! 

7 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

We have very little talent on this D.  We went up against a future HOF QB, two fantastic pro-bowl caliber RB's, and a great WR group. 

In turn we have seemingly--hate to say this--over the hill, but bound for Wall-of-Fame, K. Williams.  Other than that: a bunch of okay guys on the DL, no real "playmaker" Lbs.  

The total of lack of play makers in the DL and LB corp make this D doomed, esp. because you can't cover a WR forever, and Brees had all day to throw when he wanted to.    Not to mention how horrid the run D was.  

Not saying I'm blaming the coaches completely. But they shouldn't get a free pass either. It is their defence at the end of the day.

Generally the head coach has a big say of getting guys to fit his defence.

A prime example is Ron Rivera for that. Look at the players him and Gettleman brought in during his tenure.

Now it's still early of course, but McDermott and Beane have to fix the front 7 this draft and offseason

38 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Cant compare last year to this year - Carolina was coming off a super bowl run and he's now with a completely different organization.  His past experience shows he can put together a good defense and it won't happen over night.

I think you mean Ron Rivera and Gettleman put together a good defence finding the right pieces.

Now it will be McDermott`s and Beane`s turn to try and do the same thing

16 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

But you can blame Bean for trading buffalo's defensive good players away.

He is basically a half season in and I highly doubt he has the roster he truly desires.  The truth of the matter is that Buffalo is once again in the middle of a rebuild and sadly it is in all phases of the game.  To me the issue is really does he yet have a core on his roster.  The positions and players that he will build around for the next ten years.  I would guess that the core consists of one solid player at each level of the defense Plus one open.  So with that in mind:

Backend:  He has Tra’davious White (absent injury he is likely a long-term piece in his D)

Middle: None

Front: Maybe Shaq Lawson but I really doubt it - Jerry Hughes is another maybe - he has the talent but is getting older in NFL years and his sometimes problematic behavior is not a fit 

Open: Maybe you throw Poyer in here but again not a lock

The point of the above is that only one out of a core group of four is in place.  They hopefully hit on another in the 2018 draft and maybe go after a FA to fill a third.  With the core in place he can thorn put pieces around them.

The falloff in 2016 had a lot to do with having two rookie CB 's.  And a lot of the yards were against NFC SB contender Atlanta Falcons.  The one thing from 2016 that was still good for the Panthers defense was they still impacted the QB and they were still decent against the run.  We are doing neither right now.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

He is basically a half season in and I highly doubt he has the roster he truly desires.  The truth of the matter is that Buffalo is once again in the middle of a rebuild and sadly it is in all phases of the game.  To me the issue is really does he yet have a core on his roster.  The positions and players that he will build around for the next ten years.  I would guess that the core consists of one solid player at each level of the defense Plus one open.  So with that in mind:

Backend:  He has Tra’davious White (absent injury he is likely a long-term piece in his D)

Middle: None

Front: Maybe Shaq Lawson but I really doubt it - Jerry Hughes is another maybe - he has the talent but is getting older in NFL years and his sometimes problematic behavior is not a fit 

Open: Maybe you throw Poyer in here but again not a lock

The point of the above is that only one out of a core group of four is in place.  They hopefully hit on another in the 2018 draft and maybe go after a FA to fill a third.  With the core in place he can thorn put pieces around them.

I agree 100 percent. I think this year`s draft will be stocking up on d lineman and linebackers.

Problem is the Bills have so many holes to fill on the offensive side as well, so they are going to have weak points no matter what they do going into next year

Edited by billsfan11

59 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

2011- 27th in points, 28th in yards

If you went to this much trouble you should probably take a hard look at time of possession and how the offenses on those teams produced points. Were those defenses hung out to dry and on the field too long?  The best defenses are usually accompanied by offenses that can keep their time on the field reasonable.  Hard to judge a defense without considering this.

Just now, simool said:

If you went to this much trouble you should probably take a hard look at time of possession and how the offenses on those teams produced points. Were those defenses hung out to dry and on the field too long?  The best defenses are usually accompanied by offenses that can keep their time on the field reasonable.  Hard to judge a defense without considering this.

To be honest it only took me 5 minutes to do. You go to nfl.com and team stats, and literally every stat is there for decades.

So I just went through total yards and points since 2011. Didn't take long at all

I don't plan to spend more time on stats like that haha. There would be way too many factors on the offensive side of the ball to judge everything 100 percent. Including did the offence turn the ball over a lot, did they go 3 and out a lot, did they have long sustained drives, did they have quick scores. Way too many factors in my opinion

6 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

To be honest it only took me 5 minutes to do. You go to nfl.com and team stats, and literally every stat is there for decades.

So I just went through total yards and points since 2011. Didn't take long at all

I don't plan to spend more time on stats like that haha. There would be way too many factors on the offensive side of the ball to judge everything 100 percent. Including did the offence turn the ball over a lot, did they go 3 and out a lot, did they have long sustained drives, did they have quick scores. Way too many factors in my opinion

As my favorite TV personality Ron Swanson has been known to say, "Never Half Ass Two Things, Whole Ass One Thing"

9 minutes ago, simool said:

As my favorite TV personality Ron Swanson has been known to say, "Never Half Ass Two Things, Whole Ass One Thing"

Be my guest if you want to dig into those analytics. I am at work and don`t have time nor I don't personally care to dig those up, as I think there are way too any factors involved to get a 100 percent reading. You are more referring to analytics instead of stats.

Sometimes simple is more effective

Edited by billsfan11