THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Horrible

Shaw66

14 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

Horrible

No words adequately describe the Bills’ loss to the Saints. ...

... The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

very nice post, Shaw. outside of your Tyrod blindspot, i really enjoyed reading this.

7 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

We have come full circle Shaw back to the point where your colum is better than the game.

I had a bad feeling before this game but man I  had no inkling it could be THAT bad.

I don't understand how things went this wrong so fast.

Especially because everything I thought they were, they are not. Not scrappy, not sound fundamentals, not smart, not well coached, not physical, not knowing the assignments, none of it. It just evaporated so completely I wonder if it was even there to begin with.

Do you have any idea how things could crumble so bad so fast?

I could only come up with a couple possibilities.

Dareus would certainly have helped but his leaving couldn't make THAT big of a difference.

I am wondering about his Hatian connection though. Maybe there is something to Voo Doo after all. That team looked cursed.

Or, I am wondering if the light bulb finally went on for Tyrod when they got rid of Dareus.

Woods, Watkins, Gilmore, Darby, and then Dareus. Maybe when Dareus went, Tyrod finally realized that they are getting rid of all the good players. And that if he wants to stick around Buffalo he had better start sucking and he better start sucking fast.

Now he can only hope that he didn't start too late and that he is sucking bad enough to save his job.

BLM, they can't be that bad. there is no way.  somethings afoot here. i think the defense was protesting, there really can be no other explanation. that was man against boys out there Sunday. 

Edited by Foxx

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

If winning this year was your number one focus, idiotic indeed. I think they came up against problems with Dareus that made them believe he simply couldn't be part of this team, that he wasn't buying in and that showing the others what happens if you have that problem was more important than this year's success.

I've got no problem with the move whatsoever, though I wish they could've gotten more for him. His contract and attitude must've made that difficult.

this is where i'm at with the dareus trade.  it wasn't ideal, but it was an opportunity to get something for him and unload the contract.  i thought maybe a 4th would be better compensation, but apparently that wasn't in the cards.

34 minutes ago, Foxx said:

very nice post, Shaw. outside of your Tyrod blindspot, i really enjoyed reading this.

BLM, they can't be that bad. there is no way.  somethings afoot here. i think the defense was protesting, there really can be no other explanation. that was man against boys out there Sunday. 

Hey Foxx well I had spent a few minutes wondering about that. But it seems crazy to me that the whole team could be angry enough about something to just quit trying without any word of it leaking out.

They looked like replacement players. That was really weird.

5 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

If no one is open, then someone needs to make a play- in this case, the QB.

you can't check down all game. You gotta be able to thread the needle a couple of times. Put it where only the receiver can catch it. Tyrod doesn't believe he can throw it into tight spaces. 

Looked like they were constantly in tampa 2 and cover 3 looks - and some of the 3rd and long play calls only had 1 or 2 guys beyond the sticks.  They're giving you the underneath because they trust their ability to tackle short of the sticks. 

Screwing up first down in this game is what cost us all day.  We had what, one 3rd and short after the first drive, and we couldn't get a yard with our short yardage back.

17 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Hey Foxx well I had spent a few minutes wondering about that. But it seems crazy to me that the whole team could be angry enough about something to just quit trying without any word of it leaking out.

They looked like replacement players. That was really weird.

yep that was weird out there Sunday. you are correct, the replacement players come to mind.  i was seriously trying to think of whether or not i had ever witnessed what we saw out there Sunday and i couldn't remember one time.  the difference with the replacement players though, was it was replacement players playing against replacement players. granted some teams were stacked but i don't know if that is even a good comparrison to what we witnessed.

something is afoot. to my way of perception, there i no other answer. i am open to others speculation though.

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Why would you bother looking up my history? Honestly, maybe you should think about me a little - maybe a lot - less.

Having gotten that out of the way, the honest answer is that some weeks I'm busy and some weeks I'm not so much. It's that simple.

Funny from a guy who's looked up my posting history and incessantly criticized it.

Probably because it's really easy to look up posting history and just scroll down looking at dates.

Quick, count to 40. That's how long it took.

probably not nearly as long as you looking through my posting history at BBMB, counting my Tyrod threads and calculating how much I post about him.

that's awesome you're so busy. Too bad you're so much busier weeks we win and people are generally upbeat and celebrating here 0:)

31 minutes ago, Foxx said:

yep that was weird out there Sunday. you are correct, the replacement players come to mind.  i was seriously trying to think of whether or not i had ever witnessed what we saw out there Sunday and i couldn't remember one time.  the difference with the replacement players though, was it was replacement players playing against replacement players. granted some teams were stacked but i don't know if that is even a good comparrison to what we witnessed.

something is afoot. to my way of perception, there i no other answer. i am open to others speculation though.

Well we will find out eventually but it might take years for something to leak out I suppose.

I just wish I could find the game film. I really want to look at it and see if I can figure  something out. But no one posted it this week that I can find.

57 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd rather have him this year and next then the cap space and a 6th round pick. Who gives a **** about the 6th round pick.

scott, it's not about the 6th...it's about dropping a huge salary that someone wasn't earning, or even seeming to care about it.  the guy is on a cusp of a long suspension.  i loved dareus as a player, but he was definitely not living up to his ability.

12 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I don't understand how things went this wrong so fast.

Especially because everything I thought they were, they are not. Not scrappy, not sound fundamentals, not smart, not well coached, not physical, not knowing the assignments, none of it. It just evaporated so completely I wonder if it was even there to begin with.

This says what I couldn't find words for.   It was bewildering to see a team that had been so sound in all aspects of the game become completely clueless.  

And, no, I have no explanation. 

Happy -

I won't quote your long post, but I want to respond, mostly to say I agree.  

You see this all the time - coach comes in and replaces a system that's working because he likes his system better.  

One problem with your review of the offense is that Dennison's offense has had several excellent games this season.  Now, it may be that the Jets and the Saints have developed the blue print for stopping that offense.  Denver Atlanta Denver Oakland were among the best games in Taylor's career.  We'll see in the next few weeks.   

Where I really agree is on how they're using Taylor.   Anthony Lynn DID get Tyrod going by putting him on the move.   And it drives me nuts to watch Brees particularly, but Wilson and Smith, too, throwing from BEHIND the line, not INSIDE the pocket.   Those guys get to throw with the line in front of them, which gives them a good view of escape routes AND assures them that they always can retreat, because they don't have to worry about the DEs coming around the backside.  That's critically important, because unlike most QBs, you don't worry so much about those guys getting 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage.  Why?  Because if they're back that far, they're in open field, which allows them to use their speed and elusiveness to escape, return to the line of scrimmage and find a receiver.   Sticking Taylor INSIDE the pocket takes away his ability to avoid tacklers.   

15 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Happy -

I won't quote your long post, but I want to respond, mostly to say I agree.  

You see this all the time - coach comes in and replaces a system that's working because he likes his system better.  

One problem with your review of the offense is that Dennison's offense has had several excellent games this season.  Now, it may be that the Jets and the Saints have developed the blue print for stopping that offense.  Denver Atlanta Denver Oakland were among the best games in Taylor's career.  We'll see in the next few weeks.   

Where I really agree is on how they're using Taylor.   Anthony Lynn DID get Tyrod going by putting him on the move.   And it drives me nuts to watch Brees particularly, but Wilson and Smith, too, throwing from BEHIND the line, not INSIDE the pocket.   Those guys get to throw with the line in front of them, which gives them a good view of escape routes AND assures them that they always can retreat, because they don't have to worry about the DEs coming around the backside.  That's critically important, because unlike most QBs, you don't worry so much about those guys getting 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage.  Why?  Because if they're back that far, they're in open field, which allows them to use their speed and elusiveness to escape, return to the line of scrimmage and find a receiver.   Sticking Taylor INSIDE the pocket takes away his ability to avoid tacklers.   

All this plus I'd like to add the biggest thing stopping Taylor from being dangerous is our own coaches.  I'm all for telling him to go through progressions, read the defense, make passes but if you have Tyrod back there and they go man and are all running back to down the field let him run.  He doesn't have to run all the time but the fact that teams know he's being coached to stay in the pocket makes it easier to come after him.  Best thing Taylor could do is run for 60 or 80 yards on a couple of teams.  Secondly I'd like to add that they need Thompson on the field full time.  He seems to be the only guy with the speed and separation ability to keep defenses honest.  Taylor seems to be able to find him also.  He almost got him last game except Thompson couldn't hang on but every other game they've put him in he's produced.  If nothing else it should keep the defense a little more honest and help Clay and Benjamin underneath.

41 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

All this plus I'd like to add the biggest thing stopping Taylor from being dangerous is our own coaches.  I'm all for telling him to go through progressions, read the defense, make passes but if you have Tyrod back there and they go man and are all running back to down the field let him run.  He doesn't have to run all the time but the fact that teams know he's being coached to stay in the pocket makes it easier to come after him.  Best thing Taylor could do is run for 60 or 80 yards on a couple of teams.  Secondly I'd like to add that they need Thompson on the field full time.  He seems to be the only guy with the speed and separation ability to keep defenses honest.  Taylor seems to be able to find him also.  He almost got him last game except Thompson couldn't hang on but every other game they've put him in he's produced.  If nothing else it should keep the defense a little more honest and help Clay and Benjamin underneath.

I agree.

And further to Taylor running, last night the announcers said Cam Newton went to the coaches during the off-season and told them they have let him be the player he is.   They were trying to protect him by not calling running plays.   He's running again this season, and the results are obvious.  His rushing yards are back up where they used to be, and his passer rating has gone up, too.  

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You don't trade a player like Dareus when your team is 4-2 playing good ball. Wait till the offseason to make that move.... when he stock is in all likelihood higher. 

A 6th round pick and salary cap does 0 in season... almost Over 500 yards rushing the past two games without Dareus. It's awful.

it was never about this season.  we all knew that, and i'm sure not for a single second did you expect any early success.  i have no idea why you think dareus's stock would be higher in the offseason.  it was well know that the bills were trying to move him, or specifically his salary.  if they couldn't trade him, he would likely have been cut, where any team could have signed him.  it's not like he was doing much this year to wow another team, so why do you think that would be the case?

12 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You don't trade a player like Dareus when your team is 4-2 playing good ball. Wait till the offseason to make that move.... when he stock is in all likelihood higher. 

A 6th round pick and salary cap does 0 in season... almost Over 500 yards rushing the past two games without Dareus. It's awful.

I'll trust the opinion of those who know more than me that he didn't remotely demonstrate the value you seem to want to project on his time spent here

2 minutes ago, teef said:

it was never about this season.  we all knew that, and i'm sure not for a single second did you expect any early success.  i have no idea why you think dareus's stock would be higher in the offseason.  it was well know that the bills were trying to move him, or specifically his salary.  if they couldn't trade him, he would likely have been cut, where any team could have signed him.  it's not like he was doing much this year to wow another team, so why do you think that would be the case?

Well, I think Scott has a point.   The salary dump was more important than the sixth round pick, so why not take advantage of his services for the season.   You can always cut him to dump salary in 2018, and the cap hit would be there regardless of when they got rid of him.  

And it's hard to argue that they miss him in the middle.  NO ONE ran like that against the Bills when Dareus was in the lineup.  

I'm guessing they traded him because McDermott didn't want to have to deal with him any more.   

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I think Scott has a point.   The salary dump was more important than the sixth round pick, so why not take advantage of his services for the season.   You can always cut him to dump salary in 2018, and the cap hit would be there regardless of when they got rid of him.  

And it's hard to argue that they miss him in the middle.  NO ONE ran like that against the Bills when Dareus was in the lineup.  

I'm guessing they traded him because McDermott didn't want to have to deal with him any more.   

bad attitude spent all its social capital

don't be a stranger...

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Dolphins #2 comes to mind, not as bad as this Sunday but I think Ajayi still went over 200 with Dareus out there.