My 2017 Midseason QB Rankings

Continuing from my first quarter rankings (found here). Here's how I rank the current starters based only on 2017 in my rating system (QB RAT Column). I've also included non-starters in a second table since there have been a few significant injuries and benchings. I hope you enjoy, and let's discuss!

xDDyCIg.jpg

FR9LMK1.jpg

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
Added ANY/A, Corrected Alex Smith's stats
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

won't open @ work and too small to read on phone 

:censored:

Heh, I can make it bigger. I just figured smaller would be better for mobile users. Right now the larger of the 2 is 1020x420.

Or I can just list them and you can look at the details later, if that helps.

For now I've made the images 25% bigger.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Just so I am clear.... the people from 33 down are not ranked in those spots.... you are just excluding them because they are not currently their team's starter?

So if slotted into the main table Watson and Rodgers would sandwich Brees?

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Just so I am clear.... the people from 33 down are not ranked in those spots.... you are just excluding them because they are not currently their team's starter?

Yessir. Their QB Rating is relative to those in the top 32. So Watson would be squarely between Alex Smith and Drew Brees if he were still playing.

So if slotted into the main table Watson and Rodgers would sandwich Brees?

Exactly.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

I expect Tyrod to drop and Josh McCown to raise up a bit.  McCown is a true QB (not great, just an experienced average type) while Tyrod may be a better football player, a better QB he is proving to not be. I still feel Peterman would run this Offense better with more quick hits, the way it was designed.  I would at least put Peterman in for the 2-minute drills since Tyrod doesn't perform very well in those situations. 

Go Bills!!!!! 

28 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Thanks for your work. 

I do think it's crazy that you have Taylor ahead of Big Ben and Matt Ryan. Taylor is closer to #20 than he is to #10.

It's based on 2017, so I think you're getting attached to names. Ryan has 11 TDs and 11 Turnovers, Big Ben has 10 TDs and 10 Turnovers. They're both hurting their team as much as they're helping so far this season.

Great work! I do think your rating values QB running a little too much, especially rushing TDs. I don't see anyway that Cam Newton (with 10 TDS and 11 INTS) has been the 15th best QB this season. I like Dak a lot, but his YPA is way lower than Brady, Brees, Cousins, etc. It seems his 4 rushing TDs are inflating his ranking.

Nice work Hokie!  I was wondering what the updated listing looked like.

I'm surprised to see Dak at #1 with everything that Wentz has done so far.  I'm also surprised to see Rivers and Carr as high as they are.  However they aren't too far off from where I thought they would be.  Cam on the other hand is way higher than I thought.  He has had so many bad games this year and really only 2 great ones imo.

I don't really see anyone I think you have too low though so I guess I can't argue the guys above too much.  Again thanks for doing this as I know it is your own creation.  Are there any qbs that you are surprised where they ended up?

9 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

It's based on 2017, so I think you're getting attached to names. Ryan has 11 TDs and 11 Turnovers, Big Ben has 10 TDs and 10 Turnovers. They're both hurting their team as much as they're helping so far this season.

Hmm.... I think a point on Ben is he put up 5 of those turnovers in 1 game.  Take that nightmare showing against Jax out and he has 10 TDs and 4 INTs and 1 lost fumble.  He hurts his team to the tune of one game.  Now I know that one game still has to be factored into rankings.... but he has played okay apart from that game.... he seems to have gone back to the early Big Ben just manage the game and win on defense type QB.  I think his years as a borderline elite QB might be over.... but I don't think that one game apart he is hurting the Steelers.  

Based on the eye test the one that stands out to me as being too high is actually Eli.  He has been rough.  

54 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Thanks for your work. 

I do think it's crazy that you have Taylor ahead of Big Ben and Matt Ryan. Taylor is closer to #20 than he is to #10.

The #'s don't lie :)

Good work Hokie I repped you :)

7 minutes ago, FLXbillsmafia said:

Great work! I do think your rating values QB running a little too much, especially rushing TDs. I don't see anyway that Cam Newton (with 10 TDS and 11 INTS) has been the 15th best QB this season. I like Dak a lot, but his YPA is way lower than Brady, Brees, Cousins, etc. It seems his 4 rushing TDs are inflating his ranking.

When I set the rating system up I wanted to make sure Yards counted as Yards and TDs counted as TDs, regardless of passing vs running. It ultimately considers 4 metrics: Yards per Touch (Passing + Rushing - Sack), TD%, TO%, and attempts per game compared to their peers.

5 minutes ago, section122 said:

Nice work Hokie!  I was wondering what the updated listing looked like.

I'm surprised to see Dak at #1 with everything that Wentz has done so far.  I'm also surprised to see Rivers and Carr as high as they are.  However they aren't too far off from where I thought they would be.  Cam on the other hand is way higher than I thought.  He has had so many bad games this year and really only 2 great ones imo.

I don't really see anyone I think you have too low though so I guess I can't argue the guys above too much.  Again thanks for doing this as I know it is your own creation.  Are there any qbs that you are surprised where they ended up?

Definitely surprised with Dak, but he's been very efficient across the board with yards, tds and turnovers.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm.... I think a point on Ben is he put up 5 of those turnovers in 1 game.  Take that nightmare showing against Jax out and he has 10 TDs and 4 INTs and 1 lost fumble.  He hurts his team to the tune of one game.  Now I know that one game still has to be factored into rankings.... but he has played okay apart from that game.... he seems to have gone back to the early Big Ben just manage the game and win on defense type QB.  I think his years as a borderline elite QB might be over.... but I don't think that one game apart he is hurting the Steelers.  

Yeah, I thought about that game. It was a really bad game. But he definitely is looking more like a manager this year than anything else. In 2015 he had 42 touches per game, in 2016 it went down to 38.7, this year it's down to 37.6. The team appears to be asking less of him.

24 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

It has nothing to do with their names. Big Ben is 3rd in the NFL in sack percentage vs. Taylor's 32nd (Ryan is 11th). Sacks kill drives and no one holds the ball longer than Taylor.

Both BR and Ryan are in the Top 7 in Net Yards Gained per Pass Attempt while Taylor is 25th. 

Both have better Adjusted Net Yards per Pass Attempt than Taylor. And both blow Taylor away in simple Passing Yards per Game.

And current DYAR:

4. Ben Roethlisberger

10. Matt Ryan

18. Tyrod Taylor

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Based on the eye test the one that stands out to me as being too high is actually Eli.  He has been rough.  

I saw an interesting stat Sunday about the AFC North this year. Against the Jaguars; the Ravens suffered their worst loss ever, Big Ben threw the most picks in one game in his career, and the Bengals ran the fewest offensive plays in their history.  Good year to finally not have them on the schedule :lol:

As for Big Ben I agree that the one game is really skewing him down but 10 tds and 4 ints are still worse than Taylor's numbers.  I'd still take him for one game over a lot of guys in the NFL but I agree his days of being in the cream of the crop may be over.

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It has nothing to do with their names. Big Ben is 3rd in the NFL in sack percentage vs. Taylor's 32nd (Ryan is 11th). Sacks kill drives and no one holds the ball longer than Taylor.

Both BR and Ryan are in the Top 7 in Net Yards Gained per Pass Attempt while Taylor is 25th. 

Both have better Adjusted Net Yards per Pass Attempt than Taylor. And both blow Taylor away in simple Passing Yards per Game.

And current DYAR:

4. Ben Roethlisberger

10. Matt Ryan

18. Tyrod Taylor

Sacks and Sack yards are factored in, to an extent. Ultimately, neither Ryan or Roethlisberger has been as productive this year as Tyrod so far. Both have lower TD%, and both have over triple Tyrod's Turnover%. Both are also being asked to do slightly less than Tyrod is, based on attempts per game.

6 minutes ago, section122 said:

As for Big Ben I agree that the one game is really skewing him down but 10 tds and 4 ints are still worse than Taylor's numbers.  I'd still take him for one game over a lot of guys in the NFL but I agree his days of being in the cream of the crop may be over.

Purely on this year I'd have Ben and Tyrod ranked at a similar level.  Which is a drop from the mean for Ben and a slight jump for Tyrod.  

54 minutes ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

I expect Tyrod to drop and Josh McCown to raise up a bit.  McCown is a true QB (not great, just an experienced average type) while Tyrod may be a better football player, a better QB he is proving to not be. I still feel Peterman would run this Offense better with more quick hits, the way it was designed.  I would at least put Peterman in for the 2-minute drills since Tyrod doesn't perform very well in those situations. 

Go Bills!!!!! 

bla bla bla