My 2017 Midseason QB Rankings

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Sacks and Sack yards are factored in, to an extent. Ultimately, neither Ryan or Roethlisberger has been as productive this year as Tyrod so far. Both have lower TD%, and both have over triple Tyrod's Turnover%. Both are also being asked to do slightly less than Tyrod is, based on attempts per game.

IMO you're underrating sack percentage and overrating turnovers-without-context. Many turnovers aren't any worse than punts.

58 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It has nothing to do with their names. Big Ben is 3rd in the NFL in sack percentage vs. Taylor's 32nd (Ryan is 11th). Sacks kill drives and no one holds the ball longer than Taylor.

Both BR and Ryan are in the Top 7 in Net Yards Gained per Pass Attempt while Taylor is 25th. 

Both have better Adjusted Net Yards per Pass Attempt than Taylor. And both blow Taylor away in simple Passing Yards per Game.

And current DYAR:

4. Ben Roethlisberger

10. Matt Ryan

18. Tyrod Taylor

If you are bringing stats into it shouldn't you also bring in Antonio Brown v Jordan Matthews. JuJu v Zay Zay. Bryant v Holmes or DT?

41 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

IMO you're underrating sack percentage and overrating turnovers-without-context. Many turnovers aren't any worse than punts.

So we should more heavily weight the things that hurt Tyrod and put less emphasis on the things that help to fit your perception? Great idea!!

Hokie has his formula which he has used, clearly defined, and explained. He isn’t going to alter that because you don’t like how high Tyrod is.

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If you are bringing stats into it shouldn't you also bring in Antonio Brown v Jordan Matthews. JuJu v Zay Zay. Bryant v Holmes or DT?

About that...

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Josh McCown is quietly having himself nice season.

He sure is. Brissett is as well. This might be a bit of a hot take but I’m not sure Jimmy G is better than him as of today. We will see I guess.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Hemet said:

bla bla bla

Reported.

23 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Stats were brought into it in the OP.

Good work as always Hokie. Really liked including the guys who are out and the guys still playing.

25 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Sure, but then you also have to include tight ends, running backs, OLine, etc.

24 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So we should more heavily weight the things that hurt Tyrod and put less emphasis on the things that help to fit your perception? Great idea!!

Hokie has his formula which he has used, clearly defined, and explained. He isn’t going to alter that because you don’t like how high Tyrod is.

I didn't tell him to alter it. I'm not allowed to disagree with his formula? He even said in his post "Let's discuss!" Apparently what he meant to say was "This is the end-all be-all of judgments so no disagreements are necessary."

Or "let's discuss how right I am."

8 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Sure, but then you also have to include tight ends, running backs, OLine, etc.

I didn't tell him to alter it. I'm not allowed to disagree with his formula? He even said in his post "Let's discuss!" Apparently what he meant to say was "This is the end-all be-all of judgments so no disagreements are necessary."

Not at all, you're definitely welcome to your opinion. We clearly disagree on turnovers vs sacks. I see turnovers as killing a drive 100% of the time, and sacks killing them significantly less. I'd put holding calls higher on the list of drive killers than sacks, honestly.

And I think we've discussed stats we value previously. I do like ANY/A a lot when it comes to QBs. We'll just have to see how the rest of the year pans out!

I included Passer Rating in my chart to show where the ratings differ. I'm not sure how to calculate ANY/A, but if it's components can be found in the table I provided I could always add that as a column to view as well.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13