Official fire Rick Dennison thread

8 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You disagree that McDermott might not last? So you think he's going to be our head coach forever?  You believe he's untouchable?

I disagree - I think McDermott is here easily through 18 and possibly longer. (way longer than you are suggesting)

dumb question a - No coach lasts forever.    (really? the first 2 are tied hand in hand. forever  smh) 

dumb question b - No coach is untouchable. 

19 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

You can't argue with the facts big fella. Hang in there.

Still not sure what the 2014 Ravens has to do with Rico, Rico's Offense, or Rico's Playcalling. He was the QB coach there and had none of those responsibilities. He was responsible for preparing Flacco and Tyrod, though.

I'm sorry, do you really think that someone has to like absolutely everything about a coach or a player that they like? Is that what you believe?

Well, that's just disturbing...

Yes, that ^ is very disturbing.  

So.... let me try to break this down.....

do you really think that someone has to like absolutely everything about a player 

Like TT?

Well, no, but, then why do I catch so much flack for not liking absolutely everything about Tyrod? :wacko:

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Yes, that ^ is very disturbing.  

So.... let me try to break this down.....

do you really think that someone has to like absolutely everything about a player 

Like TT?

Well, no, but, then why do I catch so much flack for not liking absolutely everything about Tyrod? :wacko:

Let's start with this:

Post something you do like about Tyrod. If I had to guess it'll either be a backhanded compliment or it'll be the first time I've seen you actually do it.

You disagree that McDermott might not last? So you think he's going to be our head coach forever?  You believe he's untouchable? You believe that if we do fire Dennison and this conservative "hold on for dear life to your lead and let the defense seal the victory"  carries on into next year with a new OC, indicating that it's really and largely McDermotts approach, that it might not get him in some serious trouble as we start to lose games?

2nd year Head Coaches are fired all the time in the NFL nowadays.

I disagree with any discussion about firing a first year HC 11 games in to the season sitting at 6-5.  why talk about losing games next season or serious trouble if it were his decision to fire the OC, you have no clue how that would end up?

how about letting this season play out and see where they finish before discussing coaches being fired?

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I disagree with any discussion about firing a first year HC 11 games in to the season sitting at 6-5.  why talk about losing games next season or serious trouble if it were his decision to fire the OC, you have no clue how that would end up?

how about letting this season play out and see where they finish before discussing coaches being fired?

I am sure McDermott is fine.  As stated though he has made some first year missteps imo and hope he learns from them.

Tearing down the O and going into a semi-tank mode I don't think enamored  him to many (outside football junkies and those who actually think the Bills are so much smarter and will hit on every draft choice, every contract and every player will hit their maximum potential......).

The issue is they were 5-2 and 2 bad losses (one terrible) and then the Peterman joke (which was a complete farce) really shone a spotlight on him.

He has handled almost everything about it badly (yes and never admitted it was a colossal mistake) and still is cryptically saying that Peterman may be back this year.

If he continues to protect Dennison as he does and we see this continued lousy offensive schemes and at the end of the year it costs the Bills games as it did vs. Carolina & Cincy and could have vs. Atlanta, TB & KC and says he's changing nothing in the offseason I can see him being fired.

The Bills play Miami twice & Indy and if they are trying to milk 17-13 leads down the stretch and lose 1-2 of them with lousy second halves and 3 runs & punt strategy, I can see it, which was the title and question in this thread.

Edited by Billsfan1972

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You disagree that McDermott might not last? So you think he's going to be our head coach forever?  You believe he's untouchable? You believe that if we do fire Dennison and this conservative "hold on for dear life to your lead and let the defense seal the victory"  carries on into next year with a new OC, indicating that it's really and largely McDermotts approach, that it might not get him in some serious trouble as we start to lose games?

2nd year Head Coaches are fired all the time in the NFL nowadays.

McDermott will outlast Tyrod. That's for certain.

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

If he continues to protect Dennison as he does and we see this continued lousy offensive schemes and at the end of the year it costs the Bills games as it did vs. Carolina & Cincy and could have vs. Atlanta, TB & KC and says he's changing nothing in the offseason I can see him being fired.

More chance of an asteroid hitting earth and wiping out the whole of mankind than Sean McDermott being fired this offseason.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Still not sure what the 2014 Ravens has to do with Rico, Rico's Offense, or Rico's Playcalling. He was the QB coach there and had none of those responsibilities. He was responsible for preparing Flacco and Tyrod, though.

That poster was asking about Kubiak.

It was a tangent about that offense in general.

however, that was one of Flacco's best years, statistically.

1 minute ago, jmc12290 said:

That poster was asking about Kubiak.

It was a tangent about that offense in general.

however, that was one of Flacco's best years, statistically.

Yeah, it was an attempt to re-rail (that's probably not a thing, huh?). It was certainly Flacco's best year since he got paid.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

More chance of an asteroid hitting earth and wiping out the whole of mankind than Sean McDermott being fired this offseason.  

Just laying out a scenario.  

If they lose because of their conservatism, McDermott protects Dennison  (i.e. he's coming back) and if then week 16 with the playoffs still viable he throws in Peterman again and he throws another 5 Ints, I'd fire him.

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

If they lose because of their conservatism, McDermott protects Dennison  (i.e. he's coming back) and if then week 16 with the playoffs still viable he throws in Peterman again and he throws another 5 Ints, I'd fire him.

You might.  You are not in charge of the Bills.  There is ZERO per cent chance it happens.  

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yeah, it was an attempt to re-rail (that's probably not a thing, huh?). It was certainly Flacco's best year since he got paid.

Anyway, I think if you're going to trust in Kubiak as an offensive mind, you have to give the benefit of the doubt to his right hand man. When Kubiak was an HC, and Rico his OC, you have to imagine Kubiak considered Rico's contribution valuable. 

That doesnt mean he gets to ride Kubiak's coattails forever. But I don't think it should be tossed either.

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I doubt he puts peterman back in unless they're out of the hunt. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Let's start with this:

Post something you do like about Tyrod. If I had to guess it'll either be a backhanded compliment or it'll be the first time I've seen you actually do it.

(this is like a double dare)   

He's got a nice smile?  Oh and He's a Captain on the team!

When he executes the planned QB run he does real good. 

He is very accurate in checkdown passes. 

His continued trust in Zay is good (could be better across the board) 

I have been complimentary.  It's the justified criticism that sticks out to his fans.

We've beaten this horse to dust.  

49 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I doubt he puts peterman back in unless they're out of the hunt. 

Or getting blown out 30-3.  

I could be a wise ass and say early 2nd QTR Sunday, but I won't ;)

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Or getting blown out 30-3.  

I could be a wise ass and say early 2nd QTR Sunday, but I won't ;)

even with a loss sunday they would still be in the hunt but if, I say if taylor can not get the job done, like in the saints game then I would not be surprised to see him put peterman in and wouldn't mind it all all.

taylor better have a good game sunday, bad OC or not.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

even with a loss sunday they would still be in the hunt but if, I say if taylor can not get the job done, like in the saints game then I would not be surprised to see him put peterman in and wouldn't mind it all all.

taylor better have a good game sunday, bad OC or not.

Fregy's thread has its meaning.  Now is the time for talented players to step up (or check out), carry that extra load and help win games. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

You might.  You are not in charge of the Bills.  There is ZERO per cent chance it happens.  

Some people think they are.    

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

You're spinning a bit here, Happy.

Tyrod doesn't just rank "below average (16th)" this year. He's 29th. That's well past "below average" into poor. 27 of the 38 QBs who qualify have an average length of throw of at least to the sticks. Only 11 of the 38 average below the length required for a first down. Tyrod is one of those eleven. 

This problem of throwing short so very often even in situations where it didn't make sense hasn't been traditionally identified as a problem for Tyrod. It's really only started to be mentioned as a problem this year. The ALEX data you linked to here shows why. In Tyrod's first year in Buffalo he was rated really high in ALEX, 2nd in the NFL, averaging a throw +4.5 yards beyond the sticks. That dropped last year to +2.3 which is still really excellent. This year people have been talking about how he has so often thrown short of the sticks on third down and the data backs it up. He's 29th in the league at -0.1. 

So yeah, if you average those three years together he comes off pretty well, but that's not how he's playing now.

Why? Dunno is really the only answer. Could be he's less aggressive this year. Could be the playbook encourages it. Could be nobody is open enough for him to let it loose downfield. We can't know for sure. The article points out he's throwing a lot to McCoy on these plays, the safety valve, but why? In any case, it's now obvious that the people who've been saying that he'd been throwing short were correct.

Well it could be because Taylor has been asked to convert more 3rd and 8+ yard plays (57) than any other QB in the NFL save Phillip Rivers (62).

Somehow he's still having his best year thus far in terms of 3rd down conversion percentage and is currently 12th in the NFL.

The frustration from the Saints game is understandable and something I felt a lot, too, but considering Taylor has been well above average converting 3rd downs as a whole and above average in converting those 3rd and long plays, despite facing the 2nd most in the NFL.

It's funny because people throw out the argument that using certain stats is cherry picking and then do things like Shady earlier in this thread and point to 2 overthrows to Zay Jones (it was actually 1) as some kind of proof of his inefficiency.

Talk about hypocrisy   :doh: