Texans ready to walk out on owner after “inmate” comments

YoloinOhio

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its not meant to be racist (and I certainly dont think it was!), but you MAKE IT racist, you are using racism to gain an advantage. Thats as bad as racism.

I have to point out something. Ive used the phrase and not meant it racially. Im sure you have done the same. As have many others here.

But do we actually have any indication that McNair is free from racial issues here that may have been bleeding through with his use of prison instead of asylum and describing a group of black guys. I mean, just because you and I didnt have those undertones intended doesnt mean he didnt, right?

And just because I didnt intend to offend someone doesnt mean my behavior isnt offensive. What offends you and your friends may be widely different than a group of 22 year olds. Or black women. Or people in Baltimore. Though i hope that the offended would give me a chance to hear about where I went wrong instead of crushing me if my intentions were pure.

Its a lot of gray area out there that I think you are neglecting. Ive intentionally been avoiding some of the firm takes or addressing his intent as theres a lot thats not really possible to comment on. But I cant blame someone being irked for being insulted by their boss then getting a halfass apology. And the phrase is meant to insult even if not racially and McNair gave a rough apology from what I saw.

Edited by NoSaint

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Texans players were offended by their "owner" referring to players as inmates... Yep. That's "ghetto".

They say the difference between universities in the US and UK is that in the latter they focus on critical thinking by which they try to view a situation through multiple prisms. In the former they focus on how to spot the bigot. I see Harvard falls into that category.

I have to point out something. Ive used the phrase and not meant it racially. Im sure you have done the same. As have many others here.

But do we actually have any indication that McNair is free from racial issues here that may have been bleeding through with his use of prison instead of asylum and describing a group of black guys. I mean, just because you and I didnt have those undertones intended doesnt mean he didnt, right?

And just because I didnt intend to offend someone doesnt mean my behavior isnt offensive. What offends you and your friends may be widely different than a group of 22 year olds. Or black women. Or people in Baltimore. Though i hope that the offended would give me a chance to hear about where I went wrong instead of crushing me if my intentions were pure.

Its a lot of gray area out there that I think you are neglecting.

at this point there would be people coming out of the woodwork just to accuse him of anything similar to Paula Dean and the Clippers owner.

It may still happen, but that's the slippery slope that happens when overreaction sets in. Everything he says and has ever said will be under a microscope.

I count one. The second sentence. And I didn't even comment or imply whether or not whether it came from a bad place. Because even if it didn't this time, the same problem would exist. So none. ;)

That it needs to be addressed and fixed was another, but the underlying point is there seems to be an automatic inclination to assume the worst even when the evidence of the worst is lacking.

at this point there would be people coming out of the woodwork just to accuse him of anything similar to Paula Dean and the Clippers owner.

It may still happen, but that's the slippery slope that happens when overreaction sets in. Everything he says and has ever said will be under a microscope.

And I hate the idea for really beating up a guy for a comment 30 years ago. But if he makes comments that are kind of dicey about black guys on the regular today I think its fair context and he should be asked about it.

That it needs to be addressed and fixed was another, but the underlying point is there seems to be an automatic inclination to assume the worst even when the evidence of the worst is lacking.

Why is the evidence lacking when he has said dumb racially insensitive things before?

That is needs to be addressed and fixed is a fact, unless you think this thread, and this incident is exactly the way things should be and we have no problems like this and we should just keep status quo because everybody gets along so well.

I mean ... is he a dick?

Of course, but you can't say that.

Players are constantly referring to each other as nigga, faggot, fag, homo etc. You can hear it on virtually every unedited mic'd up play. Many players have referred to themselves as slaves and called owners slave masters. They gyrate in fake sexual positions, grab themselves, and perform childish unfunny scripted routines every weekend.

How anyone could take their so called stands against anything serious is beyond me. They don't offend me. I just dont care about their thoughts on the world. Google the names of some of these guys kneeling and you will find some terrible stuff. Start with Frostee Rucker and Frank Clark. They should be hiding under a rock.

Edited by Needle

Its a lot of gray area out there that I think you are neglecting. Ive intentionally been avoiding some of the firm takes or addressing his intent as theres a lot thats not really possible to comment on. But I cant blame someone being irked for being insulted by their boss then getting a halfass apology. And the phrase is meant to insult even if not racially and McNair gave a rough apology from what I saw.

I get ALL that. I just think they made something racist which was never meant to be racist (which is as bad as racism), and the employees don’t run the business. If someone’s feeelings got hurt? You’re a big boy making millions and I suspect some of this is geared towards a negotiating angle to get more.

They say the difference between universities in the US and UK is that in the latter they focus on critical thinking by which they try to view a situation through multiple prisms. In the former they focus on how to spot the bigot. I see Harvard falls into that category.

Haha. Not really. I just don't think anyone should tell anyone else whether they should be offended or not. I wasn't personally offended but I do understand why a Texans player would be offended. I just tried to express that.

Please notice that your sympathies in this situation, as usual, are with the people saying racist things. You worry they don't get their fair due, call issue to anything and everything else, rather than to acknowledge that the people taking issue with the statements MIGHT HAVE A POINT. This is why you continue to be ignorant. You have a wall between "you" and "knowledge" and that wall is the strongest thing about you.

This wouldn't be so irritating if you were less loud and aggressive about it, but you are, so here we are.

Players are constantly referring to each other as nigga, faggot, fag, homo etc. You can hear it on virtually every unedited mic'd up play. Many players have referred to themselves as slaves and called owners slave masters. They gyrate in fake sexual positions, grab themselves, and perform childish unfunny scripted routines every weekend.

How anyone could take their so called stands against anything serious is beyond me. They don't offend me. I just dont care about their thoughts on the world. Google the names of some of these guys kneeling and you will find some terrible stuff. Start with Frostee Rucker and Frank Clark. They should be hiding under a rock.

Congrats to Boyst on just becoming the second worst poster in this thread

Please notice that your sympathies in this situation, as usual, are with the people saying racist things. You worry they don't get their fair due, call issue to anything and everything else, rather than to acknowledge that the people taking issue with the statements MIGHT HAVE A POINT. This is why you continue to be ignorant. You have a wall between "you" and "knowledge" and that wall is the strongest thing about you.

This wouldn't be so irritating if you were less loud and aggressive about it, but you are, so here we are.

Congrats to Boyst on just becoming the second worst poster in this thread

i am not going to ignore you, i'm just going to tell you a story about garth brooks. he's !@#$ing awesome.

wait, i got the last part of it as i was reading gugny's.

I'm #2. you're #1? cool. we're like twinsies.

Edited by Boyst62

Wouldn't have the same meaning. I can call my brother a dick and he doesn't care. If someone else calls my brother a dick I'm offended.

And so is he.

Is't the term "brother" a little racist too? I mean, how insensitive are you being right now! :lol:

Haha. Not really. I just don't think anyone should tell anyone else whether they should be offended or not. I wasn't personally offended but I do understand why a Texans player would be offended. I just tried to express that.

Everyone has a right to be offended by whatever they want to. I just think this is a prime example of how silly it's gotten.

It reminds me of that scene in Bowfinger where Eddie Murphy is incensed that the number of times the letter k appears in the script is divisible by 3, and thus "kkk" appears several hundred times in the script.

Then when the guy says he knows it isn't Shakespeare he sees it as code for shake a spear and accuses him of calling them spear chuckers.