Vlad Ducasse vs John Miller

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Grandstand_SN

Vlad Ducasse has taken over as starting RG for the #Bills. @Cover_1_ tells you why that’s the case

https://www.grandstandsportsnetwork.com/2017/10/19/an-edge-in-athleticism-has-landed-vladimir-ducasse-in-the-lineup/

Throughout the preseason you may have read my words and the words of others at Cover 1 describing our bafflement at the competition between guards John Miller and Vladimir Ducasse. We didn’t believe that there was truly a competition. Miller was arguably the most consistent offensive lineman last season, and his arrow was pointing up. Ducasse has been a journeyman backup and a guy most thought was brought in with offensive line coach Juan Castillo as a tag along due to the coaching changes.

To our surprise, Miller has really taken a step back. The new techniques and traits needed to be effective in offensive coordinator Rick Dennison‘s outside zone running scheme have caused Miller to struggle. Miller is a powerful guard who thrives in inside zone and gap schemes, in which he can generate power into a targeted strike — a strike or blow that can create a gap, blow a defensive lineman off the ball, or at least give him that split second to torque and turn the defender, giving the running back an entry point for the run. The areas where he struggles are the areas in which Ducasse excels.

Fug'n Dennison. The references to him "Rex-ing up the offense" are spot on IMO. A good coach should adapt his scheme to the personnel and not try to pound his square peg into a round hole.

Is Miller a great Guard? No. But he's good at what he does and the Bills should take advantage of that (as well as Incognito's strength in pulling and man-on-man blocking).

Vlad the Impailed has great movement skills--the problem is, he's always moving in the opposite direction of the DL he's trying to block, resulting in way too many 'O le' plays....

Edited by Lurker

show me, i'd like to see it for myself. i assume you have tape of vlad and miller running similar plays and we can see miller succeeding more than vlad.

I've posted the clips on this board many times, thanks (linked to them in this thread as well). I'll show you a few examples here to assuage your consternation...just take a look at Vlad being unable to handle blocking on a screen here:

https://twitter.com/lockedonbills/status/917853234420682753

Versus the first play of this set by Miller:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000842327/LeSean-McCoy-highlights-Week-1

Then take a look at play 2 above, and compare Miller's surge to take the DT out of the play versus Vlad's inability to do so here:

https://twitter.com/lockedonbills/status/917854494456762369

Just a few examples; there are more.

I've posted the clips on this board many times, thanks (linked to them in this thread as well). I'll show you a few examples here to assuage your consternation...just take a look at Vlad being unable to handle blocking on a screen here:

https://twitter.com/lockedonbills/status/917853234420682753

I'm not the most emotive person when I re-watch games but I threw my notepad across the room watching that.

its October and Halloween is approaching, I bet Vlad's pulling in the power from the souls from his descendant Vlad the impalers victims and using it in his game

Those who are connected to the spiritual world can back me up

The only one getting impaled will be Tyrod from Vlad's embarrassing play...

....so if the zone blocking scheme is the probable impediment to the stalled running game, why stick with it?/.....

It's been a combination of things. Wood and Incognito are grading well. Mills is the same. Miller is really the only one struggling with scheme. Incognito is down some. Glenn is hurting.

McCoy became a star in the scheme.

I think if Glenn gets healthy along with easier opposition we will see the run game flourish.

It's been a combination of things. Wood and Incognito are grading well. Mills is the same. Miller is really the only one struggling with scheme. Incognito is down some. Glenn is hurting.

McCoy became a star in the scheme.

I think if Glenn gets healthy along with easier opposition we will see the run game flourish.

....thanks bud....sounds like at the end of the day, we're talking about individual struggle(s) versus an entire scheme being the fault.......and not all individuals are adaptable at the same pace is a different way to look at it....cannot predict individual learning curve(s)..............

Fug'n Dennison. The references to him "Rex-ing up the offense" are spot on IMO. A good coach should adapt his scheme to the personnel and not try to pound his square peg into a round hole.

Is Miller a great Guard? No. But he's good at what he does and the Bills should take advantage of that (as well as Incognito's strength in pulling and man-on-man blocking).

Vlad the Impailed has great movement skills--the problem is, he's always moving in the opposite direction of the DL he's trying to block, resulting in way too many 'O le' plays....

Well said, sir!!! :thumbsup: Ducasse has NEVER excelled on an NFL playing field except at getting his QB hit and his RB stood up at the LOS.

If Ducasse is better in this blocking scheme than Mills -- "excels" -- then it's the scheme that's wrong. Glenn, Incognito, Wood, and Mills all played their OL positions decently in the past as evidenced by the Bills excellent running game the last two years and decent passing production. Now, they're all being forced into a scheme that they're struggling to adjust to, especially Mills, just to fit the OC's "system". :thumbdown: