Harvey Weinstein (and others) accused of sexual harrasement

RaoulDuke79

Some people make it sound like a casting couch culture is somehow ok because its always been that way or some women went along with it. As if being taken advantage of is good for the victim.

Most of the accusations being made are far in excess of that culture. And the underage stuff is criminal, not just confident men.

When my daughter is trying to get a job, her bosses arent asking for a massage. Why? Because they are not scum. And if they do, they will be fired.

casting couches are ok in my eyes. You just say no or leave if you don't want to.

Must be the guy in the middle...look at how he's dressed. He's obviously gay.

I think all of them are gay. The two covering their balls are definitely gay. The one pouting is surely gay. The tall one in the middle looks to have a pinkie ring for crissakes. And the one on the left trying not to look gay is a dead giveaway. Gay gay gay gay gay.

I think all of them are gay. The two covering their balls are definitely gay. The one pouting is surely gay. The tall one in the middle looks to have a pinkie ring for crissakes. And the one on the left trying not to look gay is a dead giveaway. Gay gay gay gay gay.

Now why you gotta go and do that? I'm tryin' to make a point...

Don't look at him too long. He'll flip ya. Flip ya for real!

:lol:

There's a GREAT interview with Chris McQuarrie, the writer, about the casting of Benicio and his first interactions with him that relate directly to that line. I wish I could link it, but it's an itunes thing from years ago.

(paraphrased)

McQuarrie goes into great (and hilarious) detail about how Benicio shows up to the audition (after having only had one role in a movie thus far that not a lot of people saw) looking like he hadn't slept, his hair was wild and just goes, "So, I don't read for auditions anymore. If you like me, I'll do it and figure out the part later."

Everyone else in the room, but for McQuarrie, loved the attitude and they gave him the part on the spot - over McQuarrie's objection.

Then three months go by of pre-production where no one sees Benicio or any of the cast. The first scene that was shot for the movie was the scene where they're all playing pool and the lawyer comes with the envelopes. Anyway, Singer had made McQuarrie promise that he wouldn't talk to the actors during shooting (Singer wanted one voice so there was no confusion, typical director request), but at 2am McQuarrie gets a call from Benicio asking him to come over to talk about his part.

So McQuarrie goes over - and describes in hilarious detail what he called Benicio's "lair" - and Del Toro wanted to change the finger up the ass scene. He was really forceful in his opinion that the whole scene made no sense because there's no way a cop would stick a finger up his ass. McQuarrie, a former PI, explained that if a cop wanted to strip search a suspect the will, there's no way to resist it. Benicio responded, "my character would never let that happen."

At that point McQuarrie realized no one knew what Benicio was going to do with the part. He never auditioned. He never spoke with Singer. Literally, no one knew how Benicio was going to play the character. And they were hours away from the first shot of the movie...

So McQuarrie asked Benicio to tell him more about his character, how he envisioned him. Benicio responds: "well, I'm Puerto Rican but my character is from Brooklyn and has a jewish last name... so I'm playing him like a Puerto Rican jew who had Asian parents."

To which McQuarrie had no response - other than to internally predict the movie was going to be a disaster.

Benicio then goes on to tell him, "my character is only in the movie to die, that's his purpose" and essentially he planned on making that trip as interesting as possible.

A few hours later they're on set for the first shot. Everyone else has lines before Benicio: Spacey, Pollak, Byrne, Baldwin... then Benicio delivered his first line in the accent he does in the movie and literally NO ONE understood him. Byrne pulls Singer and McQuarrie aside and says that no one can understand a thing Benicio is saying.

On the spot, Singer kinda sees the whole movie at once and realizes how great that is and tells Byrne: "anytime you can't understand him, say something to him" - which you see them do all the time in the film. All those retorts or anytime a character says something about his accent are all ad-libbed.

McQuarrie thinks made the movie what it was. He gives Benicio (and Singer) all the credit despite his lack of faith in Del Toro when they casted him.

Hearing McQuarrie tell that story is so much funnier because he does a great impression of Benicio. :lol:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.