How Bills Treat This Bye Week Will Show Their Cards

corta765

The Bills have a pretty crucial period coming up with this bye week and then 3 games at home and playing the Jets. The opportunity is their for them to potentially go 3-1 and really give themselves a shot at a playoff berth.They also could lay an egg like they did this weekend and waste a good defense that did well enough despite some injuries.

Whether or not the Bills make any moves in the next two weeks will show how much they care short term about the playoffs or solely focused on the future. I say this because regardless of my opinion on Tyrod he is going to be throwing at this starting passing group: Z Jones, B Tate, & N Oleary. I don't care who the QB is or if you want Peterman that group is not remotely good enough. If Matthews and Clay were both healthy then yea there is enough in terms of options to be OK passing the ball. But they are not going to be playing and Clay is probably done for the year at this point.

To me you have to make a move or two; take a flier on Vincent Jackson and Gary Barnidge. They could flame out but at least it would show some urgency to not waste this years great defense. See if for a 3rd rnd pick you could get Travis Benjamin from LAC. If they sit their and do nothing I would find that incredibly disappointing in how they view the season. I and most fans are not asking for the Bills to sell the farm at this point and the process they have seems to be doing decent so far. At the same point even the most novice fan could look and say the Bills WR/TE corp is a mess and could use some chance of improvement.

If the Bills do nothing it will be a start indication of how they view this season.

Edited by corta765

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have a pretty crucial period coming up with this bye week and then 3 games at home and playing the Jets. The opportunity is their for them to potentially go 3-1 and really give themselves a shot at a playoff berth.They also could lay an egg like they did this weekend and waste a good defense that did well enough despite some injuries.

Whether or not the Bills make any moves in the next two weeks will show how much they care short term about the playoffs or solely focused on the future. I say this because regardless of my opinion on Tyrod he is going to be throwing at this starting passing group: Z Jones, B Tate, & N Oleary. I don't care who the QB is or if you want Peterman that group is not remotely good enough. If Matthews and Clay were both healthy then yea there is enough in terms of options to be OK passing the ball. But they are not going to be playing and Clay is probably done for the year at this point.

To me you have to make a move or two; take a flier on Vincent Jackson and Gary Barnidge. They could flame out but at least it would show some urgency to not waste this years great defense. See if for a 3rd rnd pick you could get Travis Benjamin from LAC. If they sit their and do nothing I would find that incredibly disappointing in how they view the season. I and most fans are not asking for the Bills to sell the farm at this point and the process they have seems to be doing decent so far. At the same point even the most novice fan could look and say the Bills WR/TE corp is a mess and could use some chance of improvement.

If the Bills do nothing it will be a start indication of how they view this season.

I wouldn't do any of those things. I don't want to move a pick for a WR who has a large cap hit moving forward (benjamin) , and i don't want to sign players who didn't participate in a training camp (jackson/barnidge). Do any of these guys have familiarity in Dennison's system?

We're not going anywhere without some half decent WR's, a decent QB and a solid O line.

From what it looks like, the FO is ready to make a splash next year, but consider this one the "freebie".

You may be right on the teams approach. Unfortunate if true. There are no guarantees in the NFL. Look at the Giants, among others. There is zero guarantee that next season will be better than this one. They could start 1-4 next year. Really each season is its own entity.

I wouldn't do any of those things. I don't want to move a pick for a WR who has a large cap hit moving forward (benjamin) , and i don't want to sign players who didn't participate in a training camp (jackson/barnidge). Do any of these guys have familiarity in Dennison's system?

Who cares what you want? It's what the TEAM should do, which is try to win football games. I would take a proven NFL player over a draft pick in most cases. When did anyone start caring about cap hits? The cap is pretty high, and the Bills don't have an elite QB on a second contract to gobble it up. Football games, not the " cap bowl". It's the NFL, players get paid. The FO doesn't need to be shopping at Family Dollar for talent.

Why in the world would you expect them to make a move when they traded away Watkins before the regular season began? That told you right there exactly how much they cared about this season. Answer: They don't.

The cards will be that we think Jones Holmes and K. Clay are good enough somehow and the Cheap way will cost us another season.

They will be playing Logan Thomas as a wide out pretending that he is good enough to do that. Beane and McDermott don't value good receivers. They think they are a dime a dozen and irrelevant to building a winner.

My focus was not on a specific player those were examples. The key would be trying to improve the roster in a major area of weakness so we stay competitive.

Who cares what you want? It's what the TEAM should do, which is try to win football games. I would take a proven NFL player over a draft pick in most cases. When did anyone start caring about cap hits? The cap is pretty high, and the Bills don't have an elite QB on a second contract to gobble it up. Football games, not the " cap bowl". It's the NFL, players get paid. The FO doesn't need to be shopping at Family Dollar for talent.

You're right - we have a DT and OT who don't play gobbling it up. You have to care about cap hits when your predecessor fouled it up so badly.

We added Percy harvin when our WR corps was hurt last year - that worked out really well. We gave him a million.

Edited by dneveu

Why in the world would you expect them to make a move when they traded away Watkins before the regular season began? That told you right there exactly how much they cared about this season. Answer: They don't.

They will be playing Logan Thomas as a wide out pretending that he is good enough to do that. Beane and McDermott don't value good receivers. They think they are a dime a dozen and irrelevant to building a winner.

They made a move because they found one that was too good to pass up on. Beane said so himself and I wouldn't expect he wouldn't do the same to bring a guy in if the value matched.

The Bills have zero proven WR's at this point with Matthews/Clay out. You will not win enough games even with Matthews back to make the playoffs as currently constructed.

I said you do not need to sell the farm to bring in help or at minimum try.

You're right - we have a DT and OT who don't play gobbling it up. You have to care about cap hits when your predecessor fouled it up so badly.

They have plenty of cap room going forward and can make other moves to massage it. Not a big deal. They have very few stars, nobody to pay coming up on the horizon. Heck , they gave Watkins's money to an old beat up center that could be replaced easily without a premiere draft pick. They clearly aren't concerned about the cap, why should fans be?

Edited by Boatdrinks

You may be right on the teams approach. Unfortunate if true. There are no guarantees in the NFL. Look at the Giants, among others. There is zero guarantee that next season will be better than this one. They could start 1-4 next year. Really each season is its own entity.

Exactly. Before this season no one had them beating both ATL/DEN and everyone was pretty pessimistic on their chances. Next years schedule technically looks better compared to this one before the season started but we could go 1-4 and thats pretty much it.

Take your chances when you can without mortgaging the future. They have 3 home games and a winnable Jets game coming up. If you go 3-1 and are sitting at 6-3 the idea of the playoffs isn't far fetched with games at home against IND/MIA and away at LAC/MIA. That's a pretty nice reasonable shot there and it would really suck if they refuse to do anything in the interest of the "future" which still is unknown.

Dennison needs to adjust his system. I think Jackson or Barnidge could pick up a playbook quickly.

Speaking of Cards, we should make a trade with them for a receiver.

totally agree. JJ Nelson would be the speed addition that we seem to need.

If the Bills have the cap room to pay 1 or 2 veteran free agents (i;.e Jackson, Barnidge) I'm listening. I think they could pick up the offense in the next week or so. But TRADING for a high-priced player, then having to cut players to afford him, is counter-productive.

They made a move because they found one that was too good to pass up on. Beane said so himself and I wouldn't expect he wouldn't do the same to bring a guy in if the value matched.

The Bills have zero proven WR's at this point with Matthews/Clay out. You will not win enough games even with Matthews back to make the playoffs as currently constructed.

I said you do not need to sell the farm to bring in help or at minimum try.

Too good to pass up on? Where are the Bills at with wide receiver currently? So far Beane sucks at this wide receiver thing.

I agree with you that they should make a move. I want them to make a move for a big - proven player. I just don't think that is going to happen. Very, very low odds. If anything, it will be a scrub (cheap as hell) player.

Too good to pass up on? Where are the Bills at with wide receiver currently? So far Beane sucks at this wide receiver thing.

I agree with you that they should make a move. I want them to make a move for a big - proven player. I just don't think that is going to happen. Very, very low odds. If anything, it will be a scrub (cheap as hell) player.

In regards to "too good to pass" the Bills got a quality CB and 2nd rnd pick from Watkins a player who may not have been even resigned had he stayed here. At the time they had Boldin and Matthews was acquired thanks to Gaines addition and Darby being disposable at that point. So yea at the time it actually was a pretty solid deal when the WR corp was Matthews, Boldin, & Zay Jones which wasn't bad.

I do think if Beane had known that Matthews would get injured, Clay injured, and Boldin retired he may not make the deal, but hindsight is 20/20 and you couldn't have predicted all three of those things occurring.

And I agree I would be stunned for them to make a move for a bigger name guy. I think they are hinging that Matthews comes back by the Jets/Saints game and if they go 2-1 all is well etc...

Edited by corta765

They have plenty of cap room going forward and can make other moves to massage it. Not a big deal. They have very few stars, nobody to pay coming up on the horizon. Heck , they gave Watkins's money to an old beat up center that could be replaced easily without a premiere draft pick. They clearly aren't concerned about the cap, why should fans be?

We have 8 million - and it carries over into 2018 as it stands now. The WRs available in free agency are not NFL caliber at this point. Trading picks is counter-productive to what we are trying to do. Wouldn't you rather have 8 million in 2018 cap space for free agents who are actually coveted players?

We also have a bunch of injuries so a lack of roster flexibility without releasing someone, or IRing someone.