Goodwin Drops a Bomb on Twitter

Domdab99

Out of curiosity I googled that line

The language is definitely archaic and seems a little confusing unless you know the context.
“Essentially,” says writer and academic Jason Johnson, “Francis Scott Key was happy to see former slaves, who had joined the British as part of their Colonial Marines, getting slaughtered and killed as they attempted to take Baltimore.”
About 6,000 African Americans fled to the British during the War of 1812, on the promise of freedom. Most of the men were recruited into the Royal Navy or into the Colonial Marines, a mostly black unit, which fought with distinction.
I didn't know Flash was so religious , hope his career stays healthy .
Edited by ALF

@flashg88dwin

DLv3DONVwAAHTEb.jpg

And let's be clear - he's a boss for doing it. Our National Anthem glories in the death of slaves.

No it doesn't.

The portion of the poem which was adopted as our national anthem doesn't mention slaves at all.

You'll note that the poem is called Defense of Fort M'Henry, while the anthem is named The Star Spangled Banner.

Saying they are the same is the rough equivalent of saying Ice Ice Baby and Under Pressure are the same song, which would be stupid.

Finally, you're talking about a 203 year old poem. Goodwin hardly dropped a bomb.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

There was an article I read several years ago about the evils of southern whites. Gist of the article was an interpretation of a newspaper article from the 1870s or so, where some white men caught a black boy stealing, and went and got the boys mother and forced her to lynch him. The problem with the article being that "lynch" in the historical context didn't mean "hang," it meant "punish." The boy was whipped with a switch by his mom for being a thief...and if you read the original article, she did so of her own volition, because...thief.

It is never a good idea to interpret historical documents by modern mores and definitions.

There was an article I read several years ago about the evils of southern whites. Gist of the article was an interpretation of a newspaper article from the 1870s or so, where some white men caught a black boy stealing, and went and got the boys mother and forced her to lynch him. The problem with the article being that "lynch" in the historical context didn't mean "hang," it meant "punish." The boy was whipped with a switch by his mom for being a thief...and if you read the original article, she did so of her own volition, because...thief.

It is never a good idea to interpret historical documents by modern mores and definitions.

Niggardly punishment if you ask me.