OL MIKE GANDY

All I know is that he had hamstring problems last year. The Bears cut him late in the season and he was immediatly picke dup by the Panthers, but failed his physical.

262982[/snapback]

Failed a physical??? You're kidding right?? Please say you're funnin' us. Pleeez.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From KFFL.....

Bills Sign G-t Mike GandyPrint this article | Email this article

March 4, 2005

By SportsTicker

ORCHARD PARK, New York (Ticker) - A day after losing starting left tackle Jonas Jennings, the Buffalo Bills signed guard-tackle Mike Gandy.

Terms were not disclosed.

Gandy, 26, has spent his entire four-year career with the Chicago Bears and started 30 games at both guard and tackle.

Last season, Gandy started five games at right guard. In 2003, he started 14 games at left tackle.

The Bills may use Gandy or Marcus Price, who has yet to re-sign, at left tackle to replace Jennings, who signed a seven-year contract with the San Francisco 49ers on Thursday.

Noone is sure if they signed him as a starter or a backup. It appears backup.

The 26-year-old Gandy has spent his entire four-year NFL career with the Chicago Bears and has appeared in 32 games, starting 30 over the course of his career.

Last season, Gandy played in and started five games at RG and in 2003; he started 14 games at LT. In 2002, the Rockford, IL native played in 13 games, starting 11, and saw action at both guard and tackle.

262957[/snapback]

The guy is young and just coming into his own. He's affordable and this is the kind of pickups TD is looking at.

His stats aren't earth shattering but he is solid.

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/player...=5515&Submit=Go

Scouts Inc. say he should be a solid starting guard. I honestly do not know him. I have heard the name but that is about it.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?statsId=5515

Name: Mike Gandy

Position: Offensive Guard

Grade: 70 | Key

Alert: None

Comment:

Gandy has experience playing both tackle and guard but is a much better fit on the inside and is currently the favorite to start at right guard. Has good size and can engulf undersized defenders at the point of attack. Excels at driving his legs after contact and does a nice job of pushing the pile in the running game. Plays with a very good base and has great lower-body strength. Has the size to anchor against the bull rush and rarely gives up ground at the POA. However, Gandy lacks agility and struggles to re-direct in pass protection. Doesn't show the ability to change directions quickly and will struggle to pick up any stunts or games upfront. Lacks great initial quickness and needs help working against explosive one-gap pass rushers. Overall, Gandy is a strong run blocker and will benefit from the move back inside where his weaknesses as a pass blocker can be hidden.

Here is some more nteresting news to chew

http://www.kffl.com/player/316/NFL

Panthers | Gandy Fails Physical, Will Not Join Team - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:16:19 -0800

Free agent OG Mike Gandy (Bears), who was claimed off waivers by the Carolina Panthers from the Chicago Bears earlier in the week, failed his physical and will not join the team.

Scouts Inc. say he should be a solid starting guard.  I honestly do not know him.  I have heard the name but that is about it. 

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?statsId=5515

Name: Mike Gandy

Position: Offensive Guard

Grade: 70 | Key

Alert: None

Comment:

Gandy has experience playing both tackle and guard but is a much better fit on the inside and is currently the favorite to start at right guard. Has good size and can engulf undersized defenders at the point of attack. Excels at driving his legs after contact and does a nice job of pushing the pile in the running game. Plays with a very good base and has great lower-body strength. Has the size to anchor against the bull rush and rarely gives up ground at the POA. However, Gandy lacks agility and struggles to re-direct in pass protection. Doesn't show the ability to change directions quickly and will struggle to pick up any stunts or games upfront. Lacks great initial quickness and needs help working against explosive one-gap pass rushers. Overall, Gandy is a strong run blocker and will benefit from the move back inside where his weaknesses as a pass blocker can be hidden.

263050[/snapback]

Sounds like a guy with potential that could use some of McNally's tutoring. By the end of camp he may be competing for a starting position. Sounds like a guard though, not a tackle. Overall, not a bad pickup as long as it wasn't for a whole lot of cash and he passes his physical.

I heard several comments that Marcus was playing with a bad knee all last year.  This was from Murph on the broadcasts and then during the week.  I think it could be chronic.

We just got younger, experienced depth....not bad if it is for this purpose.  The guy was pretty good at ND...

262990[/snapback]

Im thinking hes cheap Depth or possible starter if he can win a JoB

Below is a search link that has some tidbits on him Basically hes 6-4 302lbs and played at RG and LT.

http://www.nfl.com/info/search/index

Geez, you think Villiareal had any input? This McNally sucks! Maybe we can replace him with some of these "experts" that we have on this board. Seems like those idiots in the front office at 1 Bills Drive don't know what the hell they're doing.

Over the past three years Gandy started 30 games for the Bears at three different positions.

A third-round pick out of Notre Dame in 2001, Gandy wasn’t a Jerry Angelo selection and when it came down to making room for Colombo he was the odd man out.

“Mike of course meant an awful lot, has meant an awful lot to us. But, right now our guards are Ruben Brown and Rex Tucker, (they) have really stepped up and played well,” Smith said. “There's nothing he did wrong, anything like that.”

It came down to choosing between

Picked this up from BearReport.com. Looks like he was cut to make room for Marco Colombo. Good news was that many Bear's observers were suprised at him being cut. Says that he is very versitile and played LT for a good part of his first two years...stuggled, but can fill in if the team need be. Despite the above blurb, it seems that he beat out Ruben for the starting position in training camp, but sat out two games with a hammy injury prior to being cut. My guess is that he failed the Panther physical because the hammy probably had a grade two tear. (I believe grade three requires surgery). He should compete for a starting guard spot in camp

Geez, you think Villiareal had any input? This McNally sucks! Maybe we can replace him with some of these "experts" that we have on this board. Seems like those idiots in the front office at 1 Bills Drive don't know what the hell they're doing.

263070[/snapback]

Excellent point about Villarial.

Why are soo many here complaining about this pick up??? He is 26 and has started at BOTH OG and LT...he has started 30 games over 4 years...this is the kind of quiet pick up that will turn out to be a quality starter for us...he is probably better than Tucker and could play LT in a pinch...and I am sure he didn't break the bank...WHY COMPLAIN????

It seems to me Gandy is the favorite for the starting LG job. Tucker will compete with him there and may be the starting C if Teague bounces outside.

Good pickup. Young and is talented enough to have been picked in the 3rd round of a draft.