OL MIKE GANDY

Look, I'm not going to bull sh-- and pretend I know anything about this guy... so I'm going to rely on what other people tell me. The same scouting service from where VaBills posted the analysis of Gandy also has a master list ranking all of the NFL's guards.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/scouting?position=47

Pretty sure most of you can't access this page (could be wrong)... but basically the service has Gandy ranked as the 34th best guard in the league, in other words, a solid starter. For context, ranked a few slots above Gandy at 28 is Larry Allen.... ranked a few slots below Gandy at 39 is Bennie Anderson, who is supposedly one of the top free agent guards.

I bet whatever TD payed Gandy is much cheaper than whatever other guys ranked similarly is getting paid or will be getting paid.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all about "what have you done for me lately" but Gandy was highly regarded during his draft year, with most analysts projecting him to go in the second round:

2000 NFL Draft Pick 68: Chicago Bears OG Mike Gandy, Notre Dame

Pro Football Weekly:

http://archive.profootballweekly.com/conte...tday_picks3.asp

Buchsbaum says: Good football player who leaves you feeling he should be even better than he is. With better workouts, he could have gone high in the second round.

Mel Kiper:

http://espn.go.com/melkiper/s/2001/0404/1167501.html

Late-developing standout, really coming into his own over the last two seasons in South Bend. Remember, at the prep level in Texas, he operated at TE and DE. When you combine his solid senior year with his impressive showing at the Senior Bowl practices, it shouldn't surprise anyone if Gandy ends up in the second round of the draft like I'm expecting.

Look, I'm not going to bull sh-- and pretend I know anything about this guy... so I'm going to rely on what other people tell me.  The same scouting service from where VaBills posted the analysis of Gandy also has a master list ranking all of the NFL's guards.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/scouting?position=47

Pretty sure most of you can't access this page (could be wrong)... but basically the service has Gandy ranked as the 34th best guard in the league, in other words, a solid starter.  For context, ranked a few slots above Gandy at 28 is Larry Allen.... ranked a few slots below Gandy at 39 is Bennie Anderson, who is supposedly one of the top free agent guards.

I bet whatever TD payed Gandy is much cheaper than whatever other guys ranked similarly is getting paid or will be getting paid.

263157[/snapback]

Thanks for the info Ozy. I agree. Looks like a good value signing.

fill one leak, spring another

2 years ago our leak was at RG. we signed RG villariel but cut LG brown

this year our leak was at LG. we sign LG gandy but let LT jonas walk

next year we'll sign a LT but let C trey teague walk

the year after next we'll sign a C and cut RT mike williams

fill one leak, spring another

2 years ago our leak was at RG.  we signed RG villariel but cut LG brown

this year our leak was at LG.  we sign LG gandy but let LT jonas walk

next year we'll sign a LT but let C trey teague walk

the year after next we'll sign a C and cut RT mike williams

263168[/snapback]

It's called parity!

Why dont the Bills just get every Chicago Bears UFA OL?  :devil:

262966[/snapback]

How could the Bills possibly sign every Bears free-agent? If we sign every Patriot cast off, there wouldn't be enough roster space available! :angry:

Dude, the only thing TD can do that would please EVERYONE would be to have 'blowjob' day at the Ralph.

263143[/snapback]

When is that going to be??? :devil:

Didn't they call him Gandy-a$$ in Chi-town?

Gandy was a restricted FA last year and was tendered a one-year contract at $1.368 million. I'm betting he signed for similar, or even less money with the Bills. That's not bad if he wins the starting LG job.

http://www.myfootballnews.com/members/4694...ad/FATL0413.pdf

"...should be a guard, but has filled in at LT the past two seasons with mixed results, at best. Could be a solid starter at guard."

Interesting.  It appears I may been wrong.  Maybe he will be our starting LG.  If he's healthy, maybe that works out.

263202[/snapback]

He's played numerous games for the Bears - a troubled franchise. Missed much of the last season AFAIK.

He deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Honestly, if we can pull off the Shelton deal now and then draft an O-Lineman with our 2nd rounder, we'd be in decent shape. 

Oh and also cut Wire and Pierson...no need to have their dead weight hanging around.

263214[/snapback]

While PP may not be worth his cap number, he's definitely worth the veteran minimum if only for his play on special teams.

He's played numerous games for the Bears - a troubled franchise. Missed much of the last season AFAIK.

He deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I hope he does work out. He'd be a good, inexpensive signing if he lives up to all the press clipping around here. But there are two ways to view this for now...

1- He was signed to be a starter. We do need to solidify the position. If this is what TD has planned for LG they better be right. We would then have closed off any other avenues for an upgrade.

2- We're just taking a Marcus Jones-esq flier, and plan to sign someone else as well.. I would hope that TD & Co. made sure of his health prior to the deal but if it is just a flier, cool.

I am hoping for the former, obviously, because inexpensive, good starters are difficult to find.

While PP may not be worth his cap number, he's definitely worth the veteran minimum if only for his play on special teams.

263218[/snapback]

We need one of the two of them. PP is a little more valuable I think because he is steadier at both of the back-up safety positions. And can play corner in a pinch. I think perhaps we cut Wire and keep PP. I doubt we cut both.