McD: Dareus in competition with Thornton for starting role

YoloinOhio

Yup defense didn't miss a beat without him so why pay him 100 million dollars?

No but I did feel it would be far better than Rex Ryan. What does that have to do with Dareus... needless to say the great start has pretty much happened without him so again why tie up the cap resources?

Call the McD hiring? What does that have to do with Dareus.

I have plenty of room to be dismissive of a guy eating up cap space that has no ambition to play football.

I think they do to and all signs point to him not being on the team next season.

And how exactly did you determine that Dareus has zero ambition to play football?

Only reason I bring up the McDermott hiring is because I know that many of the people who are all onboard now with this 3-1 start, scoffed at the idea of hiring McDermott in favor of more notable options.

A lot of times people see the benefits in a thing only after it becomes very obvious.

Those calling for a Dareus-dump right now would likely change their tune with positive results from a healthy Dareus under the new regime, much like people have about McDermott and the team's direction after the 3-1 start.

Not saying this new regime doesn't continue to clean house and wash its hands clean of Dareus, but the calls for a talent like him to be traded as soon as a week from now without even seeing if he's gotten the message from the new guys is absolutely absurd and hasty.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how exactly did you determine that Dareus has zero ambition to play football?

Only reason I bring up the McDermott hiring is because I know that many of the people who are all onboard now with this 3-1 start, scoffed at the idea of hiring McDermott in favor of more notable options.

A lot of times people see the benefits in a thing only after it becomes very obvious.

Those calling for a Dareus-dump right now would likely change their tune with positive results from a healthy Dareus under the new regime, much like people have about McDermott and the team's direction after the 3-1 start.

Not saying this new regime doesn't continue to clean house and wash its hands clean of Dareus, but the calls for a talent like him to be traded as soon as a week from now without even seeing if he's gotten the message from the new guys is absolutely absurd and hasty.

Of course I would change my tune if Dareus turned things around and played with some heart like he use to. There is no sense in paying a guy 100 million dollars for ~20ish snaps a game. Especially when he doesn't do much of anything during those ~20ish snaps. He is the most well rested defensive tackle in the league and he makes zero plays.

Of course I would change my tune if Dareus turned things around and played with some heart like he use to. There is no sense in paying a guy 100 million dollars for ~20ish snaps a game. Especially when he doesn't do much of anything during those ~20ish snaps. He is the most well rested defensive tackle in the league and he makes zero plays.

My point exactly.

So how about waiting to see if he gets extended playing time when healthy and what he produces before completely turning on him?

My point exactly.

So how about waiting to see if he gets extended playing time when healthy and what he produces before completely turning on him?

Think about what you just said. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

We used to be a country where principles were something worth honoring. Now, they're just targets to get attacked until we're all in the mud.

Stop it.

It;'s the way of the NFL.

The annoying thing is, we know what Dareus can do when he is fully motivated and firing on all cylinders.

Right now, he simply isn't. At this point, I don't know what else can get him there. There is no economic incentive for him to do so. His teammate and good friend Kyle Williams isn't getting it done. The coach isn't getting it done.

I would be more critical to the "McBeane team", but even with a subpar effort from Darues, the team is leading the league in points allowed after playing some of the top scoring offenses. The playcalling and system are currently working. I would love to see Dareus get involved, and maybe he needs a different track than what McDermott can give. I faulted Rex for not getting Mario on board. If there is any way to get him back, I will be happy to keep paying the man.

If not, according to Over The Cap, we save a bit of cap room is we trade him after this season. not much, But I will take almost anything at that point.

"That's the way it is" doesn't make it right.

no kidding. it sure doesn't.

but it is "the way of the NFL"

The annoying thing is, we know what Dareus can do when he is fully motivated and firing on all cylinders.

Right now, he simply isn't. At this point, I don't know what else can get him there. There is no economic incentive for him to do so. His teammate and good friend Kyle Williams isn't getting it done. The coach isn't getting it done.

I would be more critical to the "McBeane team", but even with a subpar effort from Darues, the team is leading the league in points allowed after playing some of the top scoring offenses. The playcalling and system are currently working. I would love to see Dareus get involved, and maybe he needs a different track than what McDermott can give. I faulted Rex for not getting Mario on board. If there is any way to get him back, I will be happy to keep paying the man.

If not, according to Over The Cap, we save a bit of cap room is we trade him after this season. not much, But I will take almost anything at that point.

ride it out I say.

Consider everything we know about Rex Ryan now.

Now consider Russ' comment: "Don't let him out of the building" meaning keep Rex physically at OBD until we get his signature on an employment K.

Now consider this guy still holds a high role within the organization, and in fact, used to be its GM.

Holy ****. I need a scotch.

he sold tickets, bottom line, we all drank the Rex koolaid for awhile

The excuse for Dareus now is that we have to wait until he's healthy to see him play the way he should. A year or so ago it was that he needs to get his mind straight after personal issues. We were also supposed to excuse his use of synthetic marijuana and getting suspended because the league rules was arcane, and he was depressed. And on and on.

When do the excuses stop? This guy has the physical talent to be a dominant force in this league. Yet he's not. Not even close. I understand losing a family member (or members) is a tough thing, and maybe he needs some help with that. The team should make sure he gets that, I think they did at the time, and if he needs ongoing help then make sure it's there. But at some point the player has to have some sense of personal responsibility and integrity to want to perform. He has to have the integrity to say to himself that he has been gifted with physical skills few people have, and that he has been given a very large amount of money to perform his job to the best of his capability. And if he's unwilling to do that, eh should have the integrity to tell the team his heart isn't in it and give back the money.

gotta deal with it - ain't changin'

You think it's solely health that's limiting his playing time?

No. I think the staff is trying to drive home the message to him that commitment to this new culture and production wins out.

I think that along with him not being a full go is why he isn't seeing more action.

60-40 Discipline -injury.

When fully healthy I think he's incorporated into the defense more and more. They've already driven home the message that it's all about production/commitment, nothing will just be given due to your big name, and that the team can win without you.