Bills Kicker speaks about inequality

MAJBobby

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People tend to form alliances or " groups" with those who are most like them economically. Not racially.

This isn't true on a wide scale. It might apply to rich people, but I don't think it applies to lower or middle class communities.

I recently saw a heat map of Houston's inner city and how they're going to go about rebuilding. Despite most of the inner city being "poor", there were clearly defined neighbourhoods that were dominated by people of a specific race.

If what you're saying were true, poor blacks would live with poor whites, and poor hispanics, but that's rarely ever the case across America. Inner city neighbourhoods are often clearly defined by the people who live there.

Edited by jrober38

So say: 'groups of people of the same race', not 'groups'. If I'm a truck driver and I want truck drivers to be more successful than cabbies, does that make me racist?

That is a horrible attempt at reason and misses the issue entirely. We are talking about racism, not occupations. Don't try to twist things by missing the obvious.

Edited by Augie

This isn't true on a wide scale. It might apply to rich people, but I don't think it applies to lower or middle class communities.

I recently saw a heat map of Houston's inner city and how they're going to go about rebuilding. Despite most of the inner city being "poor", there were clearly defined neighbourhoods that were dominated by people of a specific race.

If what you're saying were true, poor blacks would live with poor whites, and poor hispanics, but that's rarely ever the case across America. Inner city neighbourhoods are often clearly defined by the people who live there.

There may be strict lines of separation and it's difficult to say the reason. I'm not denying that there may be some comfort level within lower income areas dividing themselves up into even smaller groups. If there are distinct area that are black, white, Hispanic I'm not sure if it is racist behavior though. Apparently all races are doing something similar. Which group is the racist? That is a different debate. What you will not see though are members of the poor group living amongst the rich group because they lack the means for " admission". Their race is inconsequential .

I respect the fact he cares about this issue and wants to encourage a dialogue about how we can treat people equally. To that end, I have some ideas starting with the basic tenet that life and the pursuit of happiness starts with the ability to have one's health. If we as Americans are all in this together shouldn't we have a health care system that treats us all equally?

Edited by Dr.Sack

There may be strict lines of separation and it's difficult to say the reason. I'm not denying that there may be some comfort level within lower income areas dividing themselves up into even smaller groups. If there are distinct area that are black, white, Hispanic I'm not sure if it is racist behavior though. Apparently all races are doing something similar. Which group is the racist? That is a different debate. What you will not see though are members of the poor group living amongst the rich group because they lack the means for " admission". Their race is inconsequential .

Humans are naturally racist. This is a big reason for why we're naturally so violent.

sweet fancy moses. that article was painful to read. "white people are afraid to get involved'? it reads like it was a narrative of a sixth grade civics class. I'm sure he means well, but it's been my experience that lots of folks are pretty busy just trying to live their own lives. I do think it's ironic that a lot of these stories talk about the diversity of the nfl locker room--a place where membership is exclusively male and made up of highly compensated professionals and where ordinary folks are not allowed.

He expresses a noble sentiment:

“So that’s where it comes from: a place of love and caring and wanting to see the world a better place. I don’t have all the answers, I don’t even pretend to. But I am open to talking about it and I am open to learning about it with the hopes that one day, either our generation or future generations, can improve racial inequality and how people are treated around the world.”

indeed !

A humble statement.. I approve of it in full.

no wonder kickers miss. The things they think about in between kicks? Geesh / S

It really is. Trying to distill the concept of racism into 'group vs group' without defining what 'group' means or putting the idea of them competing into some context is cursory to the point of absurdity. And this coming from an extremely liberal minority in myself.

If you think it was truck drivers vs lumberjacks, you weren't trying hard enough. I expect a certain level of attention and comprehension. What was the topic?

Bye thread

THANK YOU!!!!

what about the grammar? is it ever about the grammar?

either way, you sound like a fine upstanding man. i'd let you take my sister out.

but, seriously, your choice to bring up this racial chatter only hurts the cause of my people. if you want to do something for the community, give me about $350 and i'll invest it directly to those in need. we are trying to build a new youth center for the kids in my ski town resort to keep them busy all year round and not turn to drugs. my sons classmate is part of the problem, Tad's father is trying to knock out some of the area to bring in a ski resort which only attracts riff raff. the drugs come with that. drugs are bad, k? that's the real problem here.

noted

Humans are naturally racist. This is a big reason for why we're naturally so violent.

If one supposes that we are " naturally" racist and violent, then there is not really anything that can be done about it. I personally don't believe that we are naturally racist or violent. If we are naturally violent why do we put people in prisons and have police? Most people don't want to be violent naturally. They just want others to let them well enough alone.