Bills Kicker speaks about inequality

MAJBobby

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but home life in an inner city is also a mess. Inner cities in general are a mess because there are no jobs, the people have no education, and crime rates are high. The lack of opportunities didn't happen by accident.

How did so many minorities wind up living in cities while the rich people live in the suburbs? Luck? LOL

I'm not saying that it is luck. American society stresses success and getting the best that one can afford. So those who have done well purchase high priced homes near others who have similar life outcomes. They may be minorites or not. What they have in common is the socioeconomic strata in which they exist. Children absorb what they are taught at home so this ideal replicates itself. The same thing happens in less well off areas. What is taught at home or not stressed enough results in a lack of achievement. One group is not going to " help" the other because others are the competition. That's the wrong place to look for help. It starts at home with what is taught to the young.

I get what you are saying but it's 2017, lack of education is an inner city culture issue. It has everything to do with what your culture teaches you is appropriate. I was dirt poor but I managed college. Really big student loans which suck but I got an education and got out of the heroin infested dump of a town where I grew up.

This is what I mean. + 1

And you are the problem in this country. Whenever an idea is presented with a conservative viewpoint or data that shows white people may not be all of the problem then it is written off as nonsensical. That is cowardice. Cowards cause wars, they don't solve problems. It is possible to be black or brown and be a raging racist the same as a white racist, but that doesn't fit the agenda. It is easy to blame white people for everything rather than trying to change your situation. Boyst working to build something in his community is a step in the right direction. We as a culture need to take responsibility for ourselves and stop relying on the government or society to determine our values. Love prevails but love isn't picking a side and demonizing the other. Love doesn't lie, it faces an issue directly. The race issue begins to disappear little by little when we build a community and values together.

Aww, that was cute! Really! I'm the only white guy at the courts 3-5 days a week. The people at the park are my best friends in Atlanta. I live it. I'm not going to argue with a bunch of internet warriors to change the world. Maybe you skipped ahead, or maybe you just didn't comprehend. Racists come in all sizes, shapes and colors. We have experienced all of that. You got one thing right....love is key.

This is the definition of racism.

No it isn't. It's how society works. Everyone competes for jobs and wealth. There is nothing " racist" about it. Purely economic . You implied in your post that the " rich" group should want to help the non rich group. Perhaps in some fairy tale utopia . One can be a minority and be wealthy. To say otherwise is racist. Edited by Boatdrinks

I'm not saying that it is luck. American society stresses success and getting the best that one can afford. So those who have done well purchase high priced homes near others who have similar life outcomes. They may be minorites or not. What they have in common is the socioeconomic strata in which they exist. Children absorb what they are taught at home so this ideal replicates itself. The same thing happens in less well off areas. What is taught at home or not stressed enough results in a lack of achievement. One group is not going to " help" the other because others are the competition. That's the wrong place to look for help. It starts at home with what is taught to the young.

This is what I mean. + 1

Nicely said (see my signature).

Society can't get people out of every predicament and it can't right every wrong situation. We've spent billions of dollars on education, financial help and healthcare in the minority and poor communities. It has helped very little especially per dollar spent.

"I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer." - Ben Franklin

We should measure welfare's success by how many people leave welfare, not by how many are added.

Ronald Reagan

No it isn't. It's how society works. Everyone competes for jobs and wealth. There is nothing " racist" about it. Purely economic . One can be a minority and be wealthy. To say otherwise is racist.

It is though. Saying groups compete with each other, and don't want to help other groups is literally the definition of racism.

You're different, so I won't help you. You're different, so I don't like you. I want my group to be more successful than your group.

You're right in saying that is how society works, which is why Hauschka is pointing out that US society is inherently racist. Your comments confirm what Hauschka is trying to point out.

Edited by jrober38

It is though. Saying groups compete with each other, and don't want to help other groups is literally the definition of racism.

You're different, so I won't help you. You're different, so I don't like you. I want my group to be more successful than your group.

You're right in saying that is how society works, which is why Haushka is pointing out that US society is inherently racist.

How is this lost on people?

Individual should compete, not groups.

You're right in saying that is how society works, which is why Hauschka is pointing out that US society is inherently racist. Your comments confirm what Hauschka is trying to point out.

You are confused . The " difference" ( or similarity) that is most stressed in society with friendships, where people live , whom they help or don't help etc is primarily economic, not a racial one. Sure folks are good and make charitable donations, volunteer etc. That is not what I mean by help. The group most folks are interested in being around as a society is those who are in a similar economic situation. That is fact. It dictates most of our life relationships, not race.

Things should be based solely on ability. Those with the best ability to win will be "represented". The best kids in math get into MIT. The best football players get college scholarships then a shot at the pros if they dominate in college. Over and under-represented is a stupid concept in my mind. Some people are trying to make this into more than that....so I am out.

Of course, the same people insist income is "distributed", as if it were jelly beans being handed out by a child, rather than earned by a free exchange of work for money.

As for the rest of 'white guilt' crowd, feel free to knock yourself out with your self-flagellation but spare the rest of us the tears when we don't jump on the fad.

Totally agree.

As soon as you're talking about "groups", it's a racial issue.

My wife's grandparents had a cross burned in their front yard when she was little. They are Lebanese and were living in the south. He ran them off with a shotgun, put out the fire and took "some perfectly good wood" back to the barn. One of my sons was clearly the victim of racism. It comes in all sizes, shapes and forms. It's ignorance and needs to go away. In time.....I see improvement. Progress is not perfection.

Not really.

If I'm a white guy and I say I want other white people to be more successful than people from other races because they're from my "group", there's a problem.

Sure, but most people don't care who becomes successful besides themselves and those that they live most closely to. There just aren't that many racists around compared with what you must think. People care mostly about .... money. Being around it and those who have about what they have.

Not really.

If I'm a white guy and I say I want other white people to be more successful than people from other races because they're from my "group", there's a problem.

So say: 'groups of people of the same race', not 'groups'. If I'm a truck driver and I want truck drivers to be more successful than cabbies, does that make me racist?