Did the defense hurt the offense against Panthers?

HardyBoy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with the OPs point. I was just saying that it's inarguable the terrible field position the Bills started from, which I posted each drive start above, will hinder an offense from what they do and try to do.

No. Again, they're not operating in a vacuum. The 'terrible field position' is offset by the lack of numbers next to the other team's name on the scoreboard, indicating the game is still very much in the balance. Having good field position doesn't mean much when those numbers start to go up.

No. Again, they're not operating in a vacuum. The 'terrible field position' is offset by the lack of numbers next to the other team's name on the scoreboard, indicating the game is still very much in the balance. Having good field position doesn't mean much when those numbers start to go up.

Those are two different arguments and points. All I'm saying is PART of the Bills atrocious offense problem yesterday was because of poor field position starters. Also, myself and a couple highly intelligent football fans I watch the games with all agreed that PART of Dennison/McDermott overly conservative playcalling was due to giving the defense a breather because they were on the field so long in the extreme heat. So in that respect, the long drives did hinder the offense to some degree. These things are often interrelated to coaches but not to some fans.

Those are two different arguments and points. All I'm saying is PART of the Bills atrocious offense problem yesterday was because of poor field position starters. Also, myself and a couple highly intelligent football fans I watch the games with all agreed that PART of Dennison/McDermott overly conservative playcalling was due to giving the defense a breather because they were on the field so long in the extreme heat. So in that respect, the long drives did hinder the offense to some degree. These things are often interrelated to coaches but not to some fans.

They had average starting field position. It was only poor for a few drives.

Twice they had great field position (43,33) and we punted. So it really didn't matter where we started, we weren't moving the ball.

Oh, you mean it's harder having to move the ball farther than shorter? How dumb am I for not figuring that one out!

They had average starting field position. It was only poor for a few drives.

Twice they had great field position (43,33) and we punted. So it really didn't matter where we started, we weren't moving the ball.

According to this there was not one on the 33. We had one drive we didn't start outside of the 25, which is the touchback definition of length of the field.

Bills Drives

Glossary

# Quarter Time LOS Plays Length Yds Result

1 1 08:49 BUF 25 3 1:06 9 Punt

2 1 02:25 BUF 10 3 2:01 7 Punt

3 2 12:01 BUF 2 6 3:08 10 Punt

4 2 02:02 BUF 25 3 0:32 -4 Punt

5 2 00:06 BUF 21 1 0:06 -2 End of Half

6 3 15:00 BUF 25 6 2:27 30 Downs

7 3 10:35 BUF 21 4 2:13 7 Punt

8 3 06:13 BUF 14 6 2:50 23 Punt

9 3 00:27 BUF 43 9 4:18 30 Field Goal

10 4 02:35 BUF 25 11 2:26 42 Downs

And 'giving the defense a breather'? LOL they had a 17+ minute advantage in TOP! Maybe the defense was purposefully giving the offense longer fields in hopes it would lead to longer drives so they could get a rest in.

According to this there was not one on the 33. We had one drive we didn't start outside of the 25, which is the touchback definition of length of the field.

Bills Drives

Glossary

# Quarter Time LOS Plays Length Yds Result

1 1 08:49 BUF 25 3 1:06 9 Punt

2 1 02:25 BUF 10 3 2:01 7 Punt

3 2 12:01 BUF 2 6 3:08 10 Punt

4 2 02:02 BUF 25 3 0:32 -4 Punt

5 2 00:06 BUF 21 1 0:06 -2 End of Half

6 3 15:00 BUF 25 6 2:27 30 Downs

7 3 10:35 BUF 21 4 2:13 7 Punt

8 3 06:13 BUF 14 6 2:50 23 Punt

9 3 00:27 BUF 43 9 4:18 30 Field Goal

10 4 02:35 BUF 25 11 2:26 42 Downs

this is from ESPN.

1st and 10 at BUF 33

(10:35 - 3rd) T.Taylor pass short left to C.Clay to BUF 33 for 12 yards (L.Kuechly). FUMBLES (L.Kuechly), ball out of bounds at BUF 33.

And 'giving the defense a breather'? LOL they had a 17+ minute advantage in TOP!.

Closer to 18. Thanks for proving my point.

this is from ESPN.

1st and 10 at BUF 33

(10:35 - 3rd) T.Taylor pass short left to C.Clay to BUF 33 for 12 yards (L.Kuechly). FUMBLES (L.Kuechly), ball out of bounds at BUF 33.

You realize how dumb that is, right?

The Bills started at the 21 and threw a 12 yard pass to the 33. The drive started at the 21.

this is from ESPN.

1st and 10 at BUF 33

I think there is a mistake - started at 21 got the 12 yards to the 33 if I remember correctly.

I think that it's inarguable a team, any team, is hampered substantially when having to start so deep in their own territory so often on the road. That's all.

I usually think if you win the coin toss you should defer, but the one benefit of receiving first is you give yourself a better chance to win the field position battle.

Closer to 18. Thanks for proving my point.

You realize how dumb that is, right?

The Bills started at the 21 and threw a 12 yard pass to the 33. The drive started at the 21.

I'm sorry if I saw the very first play on the drive chart showing at the 33. It's confusing if someone takes a glance at it.

Regardless, we didn't move the ball when it was at any part of the field all game....which is why we had 176 total yards.