Rick Dennison

bobobonators

Agreed, I try to look at it from Dennisons point of view even though I didn't like a lot of the play calling. He has to make magic with a qb that is flat out afraid to throw, so now you have to try to get a running game established when defenses just stack the box and challenge tyrod to throw. And he can't even rely on tyrod to make easy crossing patterns. And people are wondering where the option was, the option doesn't work against no pass threat and a great linebacker core in the Panthers. Dennisons choices are limited.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coaches by their very nature are a conservative breed. What we saw yesterday was very indicative of what we have seen over the past 18 years and counting. Actually, even including Wade's 3 years, where the winning was predicated on a strong defense and an occasional big play from Flutie.

The mindset is typically to keep the offense conservative -- and only open it up when you have to in the 4th quarter. That formula actually works when the defense in strong enough to keep the opponent's offense in check. These coaches like QBs who manage the game and do not turn the ball over.

That is what Tyrod did yesterday, so I am not at all surprised to see the vote of confidence from McD and Dennison. The way they look at it is that when your defense only gives up 9 points and your offense does not turn the ball over you are going to win the game the vast number of times. Of course, the margin of error when playing like this is razor thin.

I have resigned myself to the notion that this is a mulligan year for the Bills. So I have no expectations. I just want to see a foundation form and for the team to make strides. I like what I have seen of the defense the last 2 weeks and would like to see them continue in a positive direction. I recognize that McD made some errors yesterday -- especially with clock management. But I am willing to be patient and see if he learns from these mistakes and improves as a first year head coach. The same goes for Dennison, who does not have an offensive minded head coach to oversee him like he did when coaching under Kubiak.

We know what Tyrod is. He is a serviceable, lower-half-of-the-league starting QB. There are some things he does well -- and other things he will never be able to do well. Still, he has his 3rd OC in as many years and an entirely new cast of WRs to work with. If he continues to minimize turnovers and the chemistry with the receivers improves, then (assuming that the defense is legit) the Bills could very well win 8 or more games this year. If he falls short of that modest goal and/or the team really does start to tank mid-season, then I expect a shift to Peterman.

Bravo!

Excellent post!

how do you know this? you cant see the wrs on the tv, they are out of frame, and zay and mathews are both 4-4, 4-5 guys, id bet are faster than funchess and benjamin. i love when people take some BS logic and apply it, all the while ignoring that when we had lightning fast guys like tj and goodwin, those guys supposedly sucked and we had low scoring games with them. Twatkins barely played last year and we had high scoring games without him. Tightwad had a lot of 220 + yard games with fast guys but he threw to woods and some scrubs mostly. And how is Clay not a weapon now? hes faster than most TE's and LB's.

Just simple minds looking for simple excuses when its actually dennisons crap playcalling.

I was at the game. And I have it recorded on my phone. How's that for you?

On this day we remember your thought being shot down cold. RIP

I love when people who don't know what they're talking about, chiming in as if enlightened to the reality of the opposing poster. Just simple minds and simple excuses for someone not able to keep up with the conversation.

/Burn

Edited by Boyst62

Well Rick is being Rick. Lots of Denver fans were glad to see him gone. a few comments:

Don't remind me... I'm really looking forward to an offense that is not anemic. I don't expect some world class offense, but something that doesn't make be slowly die inside every week would be nice.

Thank !@#$ he is gone lol

Hope he takes some time off to figure out how to evolve from the system he ran in Denver. Need OCs who can utilize the talents of the players and not only be about a scheme and require players to fit that scheme.

An article about Dennison before he was let go in Denver: https://sports.yahoo.com/news/broncos-move-rick-dennison-122551807.html

And more on facing Dennison as Broncos travel to Buffalo:

Originally Posted by Action viewpost.gif
Rick Dennison is the OC people.
Most important stat of the week.

Originally Posted by Action viewpost.gif
Rick Dennison is the OC people.
This is a very good point. I always worry after a crushing victory that a letdown Can easily follow. Dennison probably wouldn't be able to take advantage of one even if Denver opens up flat

And a picture response to hearing "Dennison is OC":

zl4Rnpe.gif

I can't recall Dennisson ever lining up a squad that didn't require run game establishment to succeed. Even the playaction boots use identical zone run blocking to the runs. Or at least they did in '10-'13 in Houston.

And I'm skeptical that a lack of deep threat is THE problem as everyone is clamoring. From his days in Houston, think Arian foster, Matt Schaub, this brand of WCO is about moving chains, short stuff, 4YPC, digs and slants. I don't think they are dialing up that play.

Like a few prescient posters suggested, this may simply be a poor fit for Tyrod, who worked better from the pistol formation and shotgun. When the o line and run game can't get going, they need to switch it up.

Well Rick is being Rick. Lots of Denver fans were glad to see him gone. a few comments:

An article about Dennison before he was let go in Denver: https://sports.yahoo.com/news/broncos-move-rick-dennison-122551807.html

And more on facing Dennison as Broncos travel to Buffalo:

And a picture response to hearing "Dennison is OC":

zl4Rnpe.gif

Yay. I dont think anyone here was happy to see Lynn go. Sure, some people didnt want him to be the HC but I think everyone acknowledges he did a great job as the OC.

It amazes me how the NFL can be so fiercely competitive yet we see the same coaches recycled over and over and over again.

Yay. I dont think anyone here was happy to see Lynn go. Sure, some people didnt want him to be the HC but I think everyone acknowledges he did a great job as the OC.

It amazes me how the NFL can be so fiercely competitive yet we see the same coaches recycled over and over and over again.

I find that observation in the last sentence to be extremely puzzling. I guess it's indicative of an old boys buddy system network. But yeah given the money at stake you'd think second chances would be few and far between, much less third and fourth chances.

Could it be McDermott will reboot that offense, include its coordination once they find the QB of the future and shady phases out?

I find that observation in the last sentence to be extremely puzzling. I guess it's indicative of an old boys buddy system network. But yeah given the money at stake you'd think second chances would be few and far between, much less third and fourth chances.

Could it be McDermott will reboot that offense, include its coordination once they find the QB of the future and shady phases out?

Valid question. I'm not sure we want to put a young QB's career in Dennison's hands. I don't know.

We'll see how Dennison evolves here. It's only week 2.

I can't recall Dennisson ever lining up a squad that didn't require run game establishment to succeed. Even the playaction boots use identical zone run blocking to the runs. Or at least they did in '10-'13 in Houston.

And I'm skeptical that a lack of deep threat is THE problem as everyone is clamoring. From his days in Houston, think Arian foster, Matt Schaub, this brand of WCO is about moving chains, short stuff, 4YPC, digs and slants. I don't think they are dialing up that play.

Like a few prescient posters suggested, this may simply be a poor fit for Tyrod, who worked better from the pistol formation and shotgun. When the o line and run game can't get going, they need to switch it up.

The stuff Peterman is made for. As I posted in pre-season.

I can see where you are coming from with that angle. But still, watch the EZ cam

Notice the space and time Shady has on this play; the CB is playing way off him, then the CB turns once he sees the ball is not going to Shady.

If the ball is 90% on its way to Shady when Shady turns, it's an easy catch and a quick out of bounds step....

Setting us up with decent time for a much shorter strike at the end zone.

But that is all quarterbacking on a level that Tyrod cannot, and does not, play on.

He looks for a guy standing alone, then tries to accurately throw him the ball. Some time he succeeds, some times not.

A different sort of QB sees the 1-on-1 matchup, and how soft that CB is playing, knows where Shady's route is supposed to end up, and throws the ball to that spot before Shady even turns around to receive the pass and long before the DB can make a play on the ball.

This is how good QBs move 80 yards down the field in 1:27 when they need to.

Tyrod doesn't have that sort of game play in his body.

This is also a great little example of the yardage, production, and points Tyrod loses all the time.

Probably on nearly every single passing play IMO, if we had a good All 22 view of everything happening on the field.

Maybe once in a while there is truly no good play for him to make b/c the receivers aren't doing their job. I'd say that is likely 1 in 5 times. Just a guess.

Edited by Fadingpain

We have a top 5 defense and we hire Rex Ryan to come in who we know will completely change the scheme. We have a top 10 scoring offense and #1 overall rush attack, but let's bring in a guy who we know will completely change that scheme. Blows my mind, it's no wonder we have the longest playoff draught in sports. How do you let coaches come in and change what has been the teams success in the past?

I was at the game. And I have it recorded on my phone. How's that for you?

On this day we remember your thought being shot down cold. RIP

I love when people who don't know what they're talking about, chiming in as if enlightened to the reality of the opposing poster. Just simple minds and simple excuses for someone not able to keep up with the conversation.

/Burn

You seem like a Motorola Rzr type. I question the video quality.

Hey new OC. We're going to trade away the best receiving threat you have and the thing Tyrod does best. Now, you have slow WRs and defenses will crowd the line and take away McCoy.

Now, score some points!

what at all does this have to do with no play action??? this is actually why you need play action, ever heard of the Chiefs? They had nobody good at WR last year and even had a year with 0 tds to WR's but they go to the playoffs every year with a less skilled passer/runner at qb

Better coaching though.

Agreed, I try to look at it from Dennisons point of view even though I didn't like a lot of the play calling. He has to make magic with a qb that is flat out afraid to throw, so now you have to try to get a running game established when defenses just stack the box and challenge tyrod to throw. And he can't even rely on tyrod to make easy crossing patterns. And people are wondering where the option was, the option doesn't work against no pass threat and a great linebacker core in the Panthers. Dennisons choices are limited.

That Dennison's choices are limited is largely his own fault because he's insisted on forcing his players into an offensive system that doesn't suit them.

Only in the forlorn dreams of diehard Bills fans. McDermott and his crew will be lucky to make it to year three, and when they go, the Bills won't be any closer to the playoffs than they were in 2004 or 2013, the last two times they found their "QB of the future".

We have a top 5 defense and we hire Rex Ryan to come in who we know will completely change the scheme. We have a top 10 scoring offense and #1 overall rush attack, but let's bring in a guy who we know will completely change that scheme. Blows my mind, it's no wonder we have the longest playoff draught in sports. How do you let coaches come in and change what has been the teams success in the past?

'Cuz that's what the Bills do. It gives the FO a built-in excuse to replace expensive young talent with ST refugees, saving some significant $$$.

Edited by SoTier