Republican Tax Plan (a nothingburger with cheese)

Tiberius

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Why it matters: Republicans see selling the tax cuts as perhaps the most important part of preserving the congressional majorities in the 2018 midterms.

Democratic legislation like the ACA is selfless and for the good of the country.

Republican legislation self-serving for craven political purposes.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

The media has already written the headlines that the midterm election results are a total rejection of Trump

Hell, they'll run those headlines if the Democrats pick up 1 seat, much less take control of either or both chambers.

One of these nights would be fun, though:

gettyimages-517387760.jpg?w=2048&quality

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

Hell, they'll run those headlines if the Democrats pick up 1 seat, much less take control of either or both chambers.

One of these nights would be fun, though:

gettyimages-517387760.jpg?w=2048&quality

So what multiple of a crap-their-pants seizure would the Dems have if Trump increased power in Congress?

it was already hilarious when W won again, but Trump would be a million-fold better 

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

So what multiple of a crap-their-pants seizure would the Dems have if Trump increased power in Congress?

it was already hilarious when W won again, but Trump would be a million-fold better 

The 2018 meltdown will make 2016 look like a minor temper tantrum. I figure there will be at least TWO 'scream helplessly at the sky' days scheduled (you know, one for each scoop of ice cream).

The libs have already played the Russia card and are losing badly. I really am curious to see what their next excuse is.

It’s stacked against the Dems with roughly 26 of the 33 or so Senators being non-GOP

so that means 2020 or 2022 will be 30 GOP Senators on the line?

———

we’ll ask the screamers to pray for us that we don’t fall down and laugh ourself to death if Trump does well in November 

On 2/19/2018 at 8:40 PM, Koko78 said:

The 2018 meltdown will make 2016 look like a minor temper tantrum.

Man, is that the truth. The gatormans of the world are still crapping purple Twinkies that Hillary lost. If they don't make any gains in the mid-terms, the will burn Stretch Pelosi at the stake.

There has to be video of Hillary melting down that night when she was told she lost. If they could get a tape of Bobby Knight going cuckoo at halftime back then, then at least 3 iPhones were rolling at her HQ.

Just a reminder, the vast majority of the money went to the top.

Big corporations have succeeded in claiming the vast portion of the tax savings for shareholders (including executives). “The pharmaceutical industry is using a large portion of its windfall from Republicans’ corporate tax cuts to boost its stock prices. Nine drug companies are spending a combined $50 billion on new share buyback programs, a sum that towers over investments in employees or drug research and development.”

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

I did get a kick at how people were "trumping up" a handful of PR stunts by some corporations to make it look like the tax cuts would hugely benefit workers....

I stick to my original assessment: there will be a nice kick to the economy as the bottom 80% see their after-tax income marginally increased (since they spend all of their income, and it will support more debt use). At the current 4% unemployment, the boost in demand should help workers wages as low unemployment gives them more bargaining power. Higher wages will stoke inflation fears at the Fed, and they will raise rates faster than expected toward the end of 2018, leading to a recession in 2019. The tax cuts which cause deficits to push back to the trillion dollar level at the end of an expansion cycle, will get really, really ugly when the recession hits in 2019.  The extent of the recession will depend on how policymakers--Congress and the Fed--react.  Trump will face a "Jimmy Carter Moment," who supported Fed tightening in 1979, only to realize it would jeopardize his re-election efforts in 1980. Carter then pushed the Fed to reduce rates in 1980, which of course was too late...

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

It's truly amazing that the people/entities who pay the most in taxes reap the most benefit from a tax cut.

No one would have ever guessed that simple arithmetic would rule the day.

14 minutes ago, TPS said:

I did get a kick at how people were "trumping up" a handful of PR stunts by some corporations to make it look like the tax cuts would hugely benefit workers....

I stick to my original assessment: there will be a nice kick to the economy as the bottom 80% see their after-tax income marginally increased (since they spend all of their income, and it will support more debt use). At the current 4% unemployment, the boost in demand should help workers wages as low unemployment gives them more bargaining power. Higher wages will stoke inflation fears at the Fed, and they will raise rates faster than expected toward the end of 2018, leading to a recession in 2019. The tax cuts which cause deficits to push back to the trillion dollar level at the end of an expansion cycle, will get really, really ugly when the recession hits in 2019.  The extent of the recession will depend on how policymakers--Congress and the Fed--react.  Trump will face a "Jimmy Carter Moment," who supported Fed tightening in 1979, only to realize it would jeopardize his re-election efforts in 1980. Carter then pushed the Fed to reduce rates in 1980, which of course was too late...

That's right, how long can this upward drift of the business cycle last? Your point about how ugly the debt situation will be if a recession hits is right on. Bond prices are already drifting upwards, at least a little. 

Right now all/most of the world's economies are kicking it in high gear, can't believe that won't drive commodity prices up, but oil is staying pretty low so far. Low oil prices could be the saving grace against inflation. I was too young to remember the inflation of the 70's, I imagine it was kind of frustrating. Hope we are not headed back to that.