3rd QB Yates or someone else?

HT02

As things have played out on the QB front so far it looks as though Peterman has passed Yates as the number two do you think the Bills should stick with Yates as the number 3?

Reasons to "stay the course":

1. He's a young veteran who knows his role and can help Peterman learn the game.
  2. He's cheap
  3. He wouldn't be the worst QB in the league if pressed into service (but I'm not impressed with his track record and he hasn't instilled a great deal of confidence based on his performance as a Bill so far)

Reasons to change:

1. Good opportunity to bring in someone with a higher ceiling when the cuts come down or even a younger vet on the street (True they could be a disaster if pressed into service but if we aren't making the playoffs or winning a super bowl with Yates either)
  2. Look for a more successful back-up after Saturday

I am not a big fan of Yates so I'd make a change but thought I would throw it out there for discussion.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You look for upside, if possible. Like, what if the Lions cut Jake Rudock? Grab him over Yates, IMO.

There's really no reason for a vet journeyman at 3rd string. That's a spot for a developmental guy.

Agreed

Carry two QBs on the 53 and one on the PS.

Makes sense, which would also mean a development guy rather than a vet like Yates.

Yates can't go on the PS.... Buh Bye

Yep

Yates is the "safe" choice, and there is a built in bias toward the safe choice on the part of almost all NFL front offices. I would be shocked if Yates is not with the team after the dust clears the air. The only way that does not happen is if Yates' concussion symptoms linger and Wenning plays lights out when he has a chance. The Bills could at that point IR Yates and stick Wenning on the PS. That would let them carry just 2 QBs on the active roster and save a roster spot for another position.

Tell you this right now: if Cleveland ends up cutting Osweiler, I would absolutely sign him to compete with Peterman. He knows the system and can capably fill in for 4-5 games as he demonstrated in Denver. If he didn't have an enormous contract, then he wouldn't be in any danger of getting cut in Cleveland.

Tell you this right now: if Cleveland ends up cutting Osweiler, I would absolutely sign him to compete with Peterman. He knows the system and can capably fill in for 4-5 games as he demonstrated in Denver. If he didn't have an enormous contract, then he wouldn't be in any danger of getting cut in Cleveland.

If you lose out in Cleveland..... WOWZERZ

Cleveland would have to eat that ridiculous salary

Taylor would need to go as well.

If you lose out in Cleveland..... WOWZERZ

Cleveland would have to eat that ridiculous salary

Taylor would need to go as well.

Nope.

He lost out to Kizer because their performance was close enough that it was worth going with the young guy that they spent a high draft pick on, and they aren't going to pay Oz $17M to be a backup.

No reason for Taylor to go, as you can easily afford to give Oz a mid-level backup deal. He knows the offense and is clearly a better option than Yates.

Did u watch the texans vs pats games from last season? Helll no to ossy. Were the Bills not the dpw. Leave the garbage to Cleveland

Yes.

I'm not advocating for him as a starter. He's a better option than Yates, and he knows he offense.

He knows the offense. He is just bad. I'm not interested in the Bills bringing him in even if someone gives us a pick to takw him off their hands....

Yates is the "safe" choice, and there is a built in bias toward the safe choice on the part of almost all NFL front offices. I would be shocked if Yates is not with the team after the dust clears the air. The only way that does not happen is if Yates' concussion symptoms linger and Wenning plays lights out when he has a chance. The Bills could at that point IR Yates and stick Wenning on the PS. That would let them carry just 2 QBs on the active roster and save a roster spot for another position.

Yates being the safe choice is like banging a hooker without a condom.

You look for upside, if possible. Like, what if the Lions cut Jake Rudock? Grab him over Yates, IMO.

There's really no reason for a vet journeyman at 3rd string. That's a spot for a developmental guy.

Agree with the thought process, save Rudock. If you're looking for potential, an NFL caliber arm would seem a prerequisite.