Sullivan: One Head Injury. One Head case.

JM2009

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit it: I enjoy bashing Sullivan.

Read the portion of this column about Dareus. Notice anything that's missing? I did. I noticed the total absence of discussion of how Dareus actually plays the game of football.

If I recall correctly, the Buffalo Bills are a football team. They play football. Players get paid to play football.

So what has Dareus done as a football player since he arrived? He's played very well to great, that's what he's done. He's never accused of taking plays off, let alone games. The guy is a beast, and he can run. He's a serious problem for any offensive scheme.

Did he play great for the past two seasons? No. You know why? R-E-X, that's why. Other than two linebackers who had career years last year, NO ONE played great in that defense.

So Sully can whine all he wants about the drug suspension (that WAS bad), Marcell taking a few tokes now and then, Marcell breaking a team rule, but really, who the hell cares about that if he shows up for the games and plays his butt off?

Is he overpaid? Maybe. He may not be a dominant enough defender to earn what he's getting paid. But again I'll go back to Rex, who for the past two years told Dareus that several plays a game he had to back pedal. Dareus is a guy who needs to be pointed in the direction of the football on EVERY PLAY and told to go get it. That's when he's at his best.

Let's see how he does in a defense that plays to his strengths before we run the guy out of town.

Shaw, he is very talented but if he won't truly commit to using that talent, then what do you do?

SULLY SAYS:

"I advocated cutting him in the spring of 2014. The fans thought I was the devil for suggesting it. The Bills rewarded him, anyway. Who looks stupid now?"

Based on a propensity of evidence. You do Sully. It's always you.

He's a hack who can't get a job in a big city.

I had the misfortune of meeting him on a few occasions and can honestly say he is a head case who should be cut.

Yeah, like NYC. Where Sullivan's last gig was before joining the News.

I mean, what does the metro NYC area have? 18 million?

Can't be more than 20 million, tops.

:bag:

Shaw, he is very talented but if he won't truly commit to using that talent, then what do you do?

Have you read any complaints about his play on the field? I don't think I have. So if all the complaints about Dareus are about what happens off the field, why should I care?

Now, maybe he can be even better than he's been, and I wish he would be. But if the other 21 guys played as well at their positions as Dareus has played at his, the Bills would have won a couple of Super Bowls.

Was anyone complaining about Dareus last week? Anyone saying he stinks and should get traded or cut? Anyone saying anything more than he's overpaid?

He gets disciplined for what seems to be a minor violation of team rules, Sullivan writes his typical whiny piece about what a horrible guy he is, and everyone gets excited.

Dareus likely will be in the lineup on opening day, stuffing runs and collapsing the pocket.

I don't see what the problem is.

Have you read any complaints about his play on the field? I don't think I have. So if all the complaints about Dareus are about what happens off the field, why should I care?

Now, maybe he can be even better than he's been, and I wish he would be. But if the other 21 guys played as well at their positions as Dareus has played at his, the Bills would have won a couple of Super Bowls.

Was anyone complaining about Dareus last week? Anyone saying he stinks and should get traded or cut? Anyone saying anything more than he's overpaid?

He gets disciplined for what seems to be a minor violation of team rules, Sullivan writes his typical whiny piece about what a horrible guy he is, and everyone gets excited.

Dareus likely will be in the lineup on opening day, stuffing runs and collapsing the pocket.

I don't see what the problem is.

Because off the field affects on the field.

And yes, many posters many times have bemoaned the fat tub of goo for being, well, an undisciplined fat tub of goo. Unluckily, Whaley's last gift was to make this clownshow uncuttable. It's not talked about as much because there's not much to be done.

I'll admit it: I enjoy bashing Sullivan.

Read the portion of this column about Dareus. Notice anything that's missing? I did. I noticed the total absence of discussion of how Dareus actually plays the game of football.

If I recall correctly, the Buffalo Bills are a football team. They play football. Players get paid to play football.

So what has Dareus done as a football player since he arrived? He's played very well to great, that's what he's done. He's never accused of taking plays off, let alone games. The guy is a beast, and he can run. He's a serious problem for any offensive scheme.

Did he play great for the past two seasons? No. You know why? R-E-X, that's why. Other than two linebackers who had career years last year, NO ONE played great in that defense.

So Sully can whine all he wants about the drug suspension (that WAS bad), Marcell taking a few tokes now and then, Marcell breaking a team rule, but really, who the hell cares about that if he shows up for the games and plays his butt off?

Is he overpaid? Maybe. He may not be a dominant enough defender to earn what he's getting paid. But again I'll go back to Rex, who for the past two years told Dareus that several plays a game he had to back pedal. Dareus is a guy who needs to be pointed in the direction of the football on EVERY PLAY and told to go get it. That's when he's at his best.

Let's see how he does in a defense that plays to his strengths before we run the guy out of town.

Sal C was on WGR today and said Dareus was sent home because he was late and missed the team bus to the game. He also said that he's had this problem with every coaching staff. Sal said when Marrone benched him for being late to team meetings that it was actually like the 25th meeting he was late to.

He may be a great football player when he wants to be but at the same time he can't walk all over the team and coaches doing what he wants to do. It's not a good look to the rest of the team.

I can see Dareus being cut next year tbh.

Because off the field affects on the field.

And yes, many posters many times have bemoaned the fat tub of goo for being, well, an undisciplined fat tub of goo. Unluckily, Whaley's last gift was to make this clownshow uncuttable. It's not talked about as much because there's not much to be done.

Except his suspension, off-field has NOT affected his on-field performance. Do you watch him play? He makes tackles and he pressures the QB. By my count, in 2015, his last full season, he was 8th in tackles among defensive tackles. He gets five or six sacks per season, which is good for a DT.

So explain to me again what the problem with his off-field behavior is.

He may not be a leader, but he's a damn good player. He shows up, and he plays. He plays well. Dareus if far from the biggest problem on the team.

Except his suspension, off-field has NOT affected his on-field performance. Do you watch him play? He makes tackles and he pressures the QB. By my count, in 2015, his last full season, he was 8th in tackles among defensive tackles. He gets five or six sacks per season, which is good for a DT.

He may not be a leader, but he's a damn good player. He shows up, and he plays. He plays well. Dareus if far from the biggest problem on the team.

I'm surprised you don't understand this. Dareus does what he wants. He has no respect for this team or his teammates. He shows up late all the time not just the couple times you hear about.

That stuff negatively effects a team. You of all people should understand this.

The Bills have one QB, a rookie who's never taken a snap in an NFL regular season game. They have one proven NFL receiver, and he's injured and not practicing. They have an offensive line that has been a sieve for three games and can't get a running game going. They have new safeties, a rookie at one corner and untested guys at the other corner, mediocre linebackers, and you guys are complaining about the single best player on the defense because he missed the team bus.

Try getting a little perspective.

I'm surprised you don't understand this. Dareus does what he wants. He has no respect for this team or his teammates. He shows up late all the time not just the couple times you hear about.

That stuff negatively effects a team. You of all people should understand this.

In return causes him to miss games due to suspension, bwing out of shape getting hurt, one has to look no further than last year. He miss 5 games? Because of his off field antics. So his off field issues and lack of respect for the team are very concerning

someone said that they tried to get kaep in the wenning thread but he declined. Don't know how reliable the source is.

I think it was just a joke. Look at the twitter handle -

@CrazyGuyNotReallyOnTwitter.

It doesn't actually exist. I think that poster was just having some fun.

The Bills have one QB, a rookie who's never taken a snap in an NFL regular season game. They have one proven NFL receiver, and he's injured and not practicing. They have an offensive line that has been a sieve for three games and can't get a running game going. They have new safeties, a rookie at one corner and untested guys at the other corner, mediocre linebackers, and you guys are complaining about the single best player on the defense because he missed the team bus.

Try getting a little perspective.

Ok so what happens Shady says screw it. This guy can do what he wants I will too. Then another player then another. It's a quick way to lose a team.

It's not just one bus missed. It's a regular occurrence.

Oh and btw the next time he feels like doing something stupid off field like smoke a joint it's 10 game suspension, so please stop saying off field doesn't effect the team. Yes it does.

In return causes him to miss games due to suspension, bwing out of shape getting hurt, one has to look no further than last year. He miss 5 games? Because of his off field antics. So his off field issues and lack of respect for the team are very concerning

Exactly.

Edited by Scott7975

It affects the team. It affects the disciplined culture we are trying to building.

And you can't just hand-wave the suspensions to the other crap. It's clear Dareus doesn't care about his team mates or his bad actions because he pulls **** like this regardless of the consequences over and over and over.

This is day one stuff, really.