Syracuse Hoops 2017-2018

inkman

23 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It is my understanding that he will be eligible for the NBA draft upon completion of the G League season and after turning 19.  It was also just brought to my attention that those agent “loans” are now legal, and he likely is being paid handsomely by someone for making this move.

This is what kids should be doing if they want to go pro.  Don't do the sham commit, barely scrape by 1st semester, never attend 2nd semester, then declare.  I like that this is available.  Sucks that it burned Cuse but I like the idea for the player in general.  Even though it isn't a ton of money it is an extra year of earning potential.  NCAA better be prepared for this.

21 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Hearing now that Moyer leaving had less to do with potential PT next year, and more to do with Boeheim treating him like **** after his ankle injury.  There may be some substance to Moyer having some influence over Bazley’s decision after all.

Moyer was not good and that is putting it nicely.  He might develop into something but he looked terrible and out of place every time he was on the court.  Bayer looked like he belonged more than Moyer! lol

I agree with your guys comments about Boeheim's coaching style to a point.  It shouldn't be a surprise to these kids when Jimmy B acts like Jimmy B has for 40 years.  When they commit to SU they know what they are signing up for or at least they should.  That said he might want to soften a little bit.  Something that has always annoyed me is that it seems there are some guys like Trevor Cooney that can make bone headed play after bone headed play and Boeheim doesn't say boo.  Then he has his whipping boys that make a minor mistake and go to the bench immediately.  

6 minutes ago, section122 said:

This is what kids should be doing if they want to go pro.  Don't do the sham commit, barely scrape by 1st semester, never attend 2nd semester, then declare.  I like that this is available.  Sucks that it burned Cuse but I like the idea for the player in general.  Even though it isn't a ton of money it is an extra year of earning potential.  NCAA better be prepared for this.

Moyer was not good and that is putting it nicely.  He might develop into something but he looked terrible and out of place every time he was on the court.  Bayer looked like he belonged more than Moyer! lol

I agree with your guys comments about Boeheim's coaching style to a point.  It shouldn't be a surprise to these kids when Jimmy B acts like Jimmy B has for 40 years.  When they commit to SU they know what they are signing up for or at least they should.  That said he might want to soften a little bit.  Something that has always annoyed me is that it seems there are some guys like Trevor Cooney that can make bone headed play after bone headed play and Boeheim doesn't say boo.  Then he has his whipping boys that make a minor mistake and go to the bench immediately.  

I think Trevor Cooney didn't get the quick ax his So-JR-SR year because their weren't many other options

it was like Howard this year... no real back up that could put up stats

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Honestly, what goes through Bazley’s mind watching the final 4? This is why you play college ball. Not to play before 300 people in Soiux Falls.

Hes selfish and doesn't care about hurting SUs program

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Hes selfish and doesn't care about hurting SUs program

I think he really wanted to play at ‘cuse.  I don’t think he was going to be eligible, and made this decision to save face.  Make it appear as though he willingly chose a year of the g-league over major college basketball.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I think he really wanted to play at ‘cuse.  I don’t think he was going to be eligible, and made this decision to save face.  Make it appear as though he willingly chose a year of the g-league over major college basketball.

The one problem I have with this is that he is presenting himself as a trailblazer and I worry if he will lead other guys astray. 

By the way, I read this snippet about the g league and this has to be a major risk for him— makes me think he should play overseas instead:

Any G League team that drafts him won’t own his rights until he becomes eligible for the NBA draft, and once he turns 19 and declares, the team will lose all ownership rights to him. Because he can’t be called up to the next level, and doesn’t seem to be the kind of immediate, professional-level contributor that his peers will be, there may be little incentive for his future G League team to help him develop and give him minutes over players they have under long-term contract.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

By all accounts he made up His mind a while ago to do this and never told Boeheim and Syracuse 

even if it was because of eligibility issues he should have informed SU way before he did

he literally waited till end of march lol and the all anerican game

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

By all accounts he made up His mind a while ago to do this and never told Boeheim and Syracuse 

even if it was because of eligibility issues he should have informed SU way before he did

I haven’t heard any accounts that he made up his mind to do this a while ago.  Where did you hear/see this?  I know the media pundits are portraying him as a trailblazer, and it may turn out that way coincidentally, but I’m hearing that he was all-in on Cuse up until recently.  

Seems a bit odd to me, and certainly seems to support what my guy is saying about eligibility issues forcing his hand.  Who knows?  

I completely agree with you that he gave the Cuse coaching staff the ultimate bag over the head punch in the face.  I’m pissed, and I can’t imagine how the coaches feel.  I hope in the future that NBA GM’s/coaches consider his actions as they relate to his character (maturity, loyalty, etc...).  

I would have to imagine that if it was eligibility issues, Boeheim would have had to know, perhaps he kept it under wraps until he was able to play in the mcd without any media distractions

26 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I haven’t heard any accounts that he made up his mind to do this a while ago.  Where did you hear/see this?  I know the media pundits are portraying him as a trailblazer, and it may turn out that way coincidentally, but I’m hearing that he was all-in on Cuse up until recently.  

Seems a bit odd to me, and certainly seems to support what my guy is saying about eligibility issues forcing his hand.  Who knows?  

I completely agree with you that he gave the Cuse coaching staff the ultimate bag over the head punch in the face.  I’m pissed, and I can’t imagine how the coaches feel.  I hope in the future that NBA GM’s/coaches consider his actions as they relate to his character (maturity, loyalty, etc...).  

Let me see if I can find the article... I read it last night... basically Bazley said it wasn't an easy decision and it's been on his mind for a long time... he said he always has been a trend setter and not afraid to do different things

at the least if it's been on his mind for a long time he should have told Boeheim ,which my friends still up there say didn't happen . Boeheim was shocked and pissed

SU was actively promoting Bazley in the all American game... they had no idea

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

The one problem I have with this is that he is presenting himself as a trailblazer and I worry if he will lead other guys astray. 

By the way, I read this snippet about the g league and this has to be a major risk for him— makes me think he should play overseas instead:

Any G League team that drafts him won’t own his rights until he becomes eligible for the NBA draft, and once he turns 19 and declares, the team will lose all ownership rights to him. Because he can’t be called up to the next level, and doesn’t seem to be the kind of immediate, professional-level contributor that his peers will be, there may be little incentive for his future G League team to help him develop and give him minutes over players they have under long-term contract.

I read this also, and this makes his decision all the more head-scratching.  I feel like there are only 2 possible scenarios here.  Either he was not going to be eligible and the g league was his only option, or he stupidly made this decision based on promises of large sums of money (“loans”) from an agent.  Could be that scenario A led to scenario B. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Let me see if I can find the article... I read it last night... basically Bazley said it wasn't an easy decision and it's been on his mind for a long time... he said he always has been a trend setter and not afraid to do different things

at the least if it's been on his mind for a long time he should have told Boeheim ,which my friends still up there say didn't happen 

Smokescreen ?

Much easier to say it was his choice, rather than admitting that he was ineligible.  

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I read this also, and this makes his decision all the more head-scratching.  I feel like there are only 2 possible scenarios here.  Either he was not going to be eligible and the g league was his only option, or he stupidly made this decision based on promises of large sums of money (“loans”) from an agent.  Could be that scenario A led to scenario B. 

Smokescreen ?

Much easier to say it was his choice, rather than admitting that he was ineligible.  

But what about the whole SU still promoting him... if they knew...

they wouldnt be promoting and hyping him up... they also got hit blindsided 

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

But what about the whole SU still promoting him... if they knew...

they wouldnt be promoting and hyping him up... they also got hit blindsided 

No, I think you’re misunderstanding me.  That coaching staff had no idea.  I’m suggesting that him reporting that he had been thinking about doing this for a long time is pure BS.  Again, I don’t know for certain, but I think he’s now trying to save face.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

No, I think you’re misunderstanding me.  That coaching staff had no idea.  I’m suggesting that him reporting that he had been thinking about doing this for a long time is pure BS.  Again, I don’t know for certain, but I think he’s now trying to save face.

Ok. Are you saying he's ineligible do to academics? Or do to breaking NCAA violations possibly with agents and stuff? Which is what I feel you're referring too

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ok. Are you saying he's ineligible do to academics? Or do to breaking NCAA violations possibly with agents and stuff? Which is what I feel you're referring too

I heard from a friend who works in the athletic department that he was likely going to be academically ineligible, and that is why he made this decision.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I heard from a friend who works in the athletic department that he was likely going to be academically ineligible, and that is why he made this decision.

That was my first thought... just stinks because we went from a very good team to a bunch of question marks in a weeks span

17 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That was my first thought... just stinks because we went from a very good team to a bunch of question marks in a weeks span

Absolutely!  If Battle and Brissett both stay I think we will be okay.  More than likely will be in the grad transfer market as well.  I’m trying not to panic until I absolutely have to.

3 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Absolutely!  If Battle and Brissett both stay I think we will be okay.  More than likely will be in the grad transfer market as well.  I’m trying not to panic until I absolutely have to.

I absolutely think we will be in the grad transfer market but after looking through the list a few days ago it looks rather slim so gotta hop on it quick

ikenna smart is a 6'10 forward from UB who plays pretty good defense though is limited offensively... still he's a body

Edited by Buffalo716

Trey Porter is a redshirt junior PF transfer from Old Dominion who would be immediately eligible.  I think he should be on the top of their list.  Great defensive player/rebounder whose offensive game made tremendous strides this year.  Was his conference’s most improved player this year.  There also is the overseas option and the JUCO option.

Trey Porter is a redshirt junior PF transfer from Old Dominion who would be immediately eligible.  I think he should be on the top of their list.  Great defensive player/rebounder whose offensive game made tremendous strides this year.  Was his conference’s most improved player this year.  There also is the overseas option and the JUCO option.

Why is he immediately eligible? Did he graduate and has 1 year left 

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Why is he immediately eligible? Did he graduate 

Yes.  Graduated in December.  

Frankie Policelli (SF) and Majur Majak (C) are also 2018 uncommitted players linked to Syracuse that could provide depth.  I heard they were going hard after Majak, and I suspect they will pursue Policelli as well.

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yes.  Graduated in December.  

Frankie Policelli (SF) and Majur Majak (C) are also 2018 uncommitted players linked to Syracuse that could provide depth.  I heard they were going hard after Majak, and I suspect they will pursue Policelli as well.

Yea I know about majak... he seems like a chukwu

good shot blocker but probably not much on the offensive end. He like a low end 3* prospect 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea I know about majak... he seems like a chukwu

good shot blocker but probably not much on the offensive end. He like a low end 3* prospect 

Hey man...it’s all about damage control now.  We need depth.  We aren’t landing any 2018 4-5 * recruits at this stage in the game.  

Majak would be a good insurance policy if Sidibe’s health continues to be an issue.  Policelli is a 3* kid probably comparable to Matt Moyer.  Maybe a little better offensively.

I feel like you and I should just talk on the phone ?

Hey man...it’s all about damage control now.  We need depth.  We aren’t landing any 2018 4-5 * recruits at this stage in the game.  

Majak would be a good insurance policy if Sidibe’s health continues to be an issue.  Policelli is a 3* kid probably comparable to Matt Moyer.  Maybe a little better offensively.

I feel like you and I should just talk on the phone ?

Hahahahha ?

All about depth control at this point so I'll take anyone 

Just now, JR in Pittsburgh said:

One bullet dodged!!! Great news!!!

I fully expect Battle to at least test the waters, though maybe not...

Tyus is definitely gonna test the waters and get feedback...

but if he is projected to go in the 20s he should come back

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea it doesn't look like he's a lottery pick RN so he should come back 

I think he will declare, but won’t sign an agent.  Go through some workouts, get evaluated, and then make a decision.

His “camp” is completely silent on the subject, BTW.  I’ve been putting feelers out and nothing.

I think he will declare, but won’t sign an agent.  Go through some workouts, get evaluated, and then make a decision.

His “camp” is completely silent on the subject, BTW.  I’ve been putting feelers out and nothing.

Yea it's silent... if he doesn't sign as agent then we are all good for him to come back 

he can go much higher than he is now

17 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Do you think Bazley not coming had/has any impact on Brissett and Battle? I feel like Battle may come back if has a chance to be the focus again

No not really... if Battle came back regardless of Bazley he would still be the #1 option imo

Bazley was obviously the gem of Cuses recruiting class but I think the offense would still run through a JR Battle first with Bazley as the high percentage complimentary piece and jack of all trades

9 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

No not really... if Battle came back regardless of Bazley he would still be the #1 option imo

Bazley was obviously the gem of Cuses recruiting class but I think the offense would still run through a JR Battle first with Bazley as the high percentage complimentary piece and jack of all trades

Yeah, I agree with this.  Bazley’s decision will have no influence in Battle’s either way.  Brissett I had a pretty good feeling he was coming back, regardless.

It will be really interesting, especially if Battle stays, how JB will use Jalen Carey (combo guard) and Buddy Boeheim (SG).  A lot of people feel that Jalen right now is a better player than Howard.  It would be a log-jam at the guard position, and I think someone would need to redshirt.   Howard Washington may even end up transferring.  Remember, ECU transfer Elijah Hughes (SG) will be eligible next year as well.

6 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, I agree with this.  Bazley’s decision will have no influence in Battle’s either way.  Brissett I had a pretty good feeling he was coming back, regardless.

It will be really interesting, especially if Battle stays, how JB will use Jalen Carey (combo guard) and Buddy Boeheim (SG).  A lot of people feel that Jalen right now is a better player than Howard.  It would be a log-jam at the guard position, and I think someone would need to redshirt.   Howard Washington may even end up transferring.  Remember, ECU transfer Elijah Hughes (SG) will be eligible next year as well.

Yea I think Washington may redshirt after the injury 

im high on Carey but I know how transition from HS to major College works and it's usually tough 

Frank is gonna be a grown senior, he is big, strong and passes well... I think he will relish his SR year and come out better 

Scoop Jardine, Frank Howard, Michael Carter Williams are all guards who struggled for PT as Freshman even though they were all high recruits 

Carey is still new to the PG position... I think we will see some flashes but I really don't think he will overtake Howard

35 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea I think Washington may redshirt after the injury 

im high on Carey but I know how transition from HS to major College works and it's usually tough 

Frank is gonna be a grown senior, he is big, strong and passes well... I think he will relish his SR year and come out better 

Scoop Jardine, Frank Howard, Michael Carter Williams are all guards who struggled for PT as Freshman even though they were all high recruits 

Carey is still new to the PG position... I think we will see some flashes but I really don't think he will overtake Howard

Oh, I’m sure Frank will get the start, but I wonder how many minutes Carey will steal from him.  Carey, IMO, is a better passer and a much better shooter that FH.  It will be interesting.  Battle, Howard, Boeheim, Hughes, Carey, and Washington.  That’s a lot of mouths to feed.